Sign in to follow this  
Jammin16

Question to realistic landscape in FSX and FSX-SE???

Hi guys

Can anyone help me a little, I would like to know how to get realistic landscapes for FSX and FSX-SE ???

Depends where you want them and what kind of depiction you like. Add-on meshes will give you higher resolution of the actual topography if you want sharper hills and mountains etc, photorealistic add-ons will give you what looks like the real earth below you, but don't look quite so great at low altitude, and custom autogen will give you more realistic buildings. Improved landclass add-ons will give you more realistic and appropriate generic terrain.

Some add-ons will combine those together, for example, VFR France's Isle de France add-on gives you about 5,000 square miles of photorealistic terrain around Paris and sat on top of that photorealistic terrain is custom-built autogen for the city of Paris, so it looks very realistic, but it can really make your flight sim struggle on frame rates, and in FSX, where it is limited to a maximum of 4Gb of Virtual Addrees Space being allocated to the sim, such detailed sceneries can make the simulator crash, so you have to be careful about what you add to FSX if you want it to keep running without problems.

Something which definitely makes it look better is Ultimate Terrain X, which improves the landclass of the simulator, placing more appropriate generic scenery in the simulator, and that has very little impact upon performance. Another thing worth checking out is Steve's DX10 Fixer, which can also add cloud shadows to the sim's capability, and that certainly does make even the default terrain look better.

Most of those things are payware, and that can soon start to add-up to a lot of money, so if you want something for free, which improves things a lot, try this one:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/8957/fsx-power-project-v40-scenery/

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Speaking of sharper, more recognisable topography - Freemesh X does an admirable job, giving a more accurate mesh - for free.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

13 hours ago, Chock said:

Afhænger hvor du vil have dem og hvilken slags skildring du kan lide. Add-on masker vil give dig højere opløsning af den aktuelle topografi, hvis du vil have skarpere bakker og bjerge osv., Vil fotorealistiske add-ons give dig, hvad der ligner den virkelige jord under dig, men ser ikke så stor ud på lav højde, og brugerdefineret autogen vil give dig mere realistiske bygninger. Forbedrede landclass add-ons giver dig mere realistisk og passende generisk terræn.

Nogle add-ons vil kombinere dem sammen, for eksempel giver VFR France's tillæg til Isle de France dig omkring 5.000 kvadratkilometer fotorealistisk terræn omkring Paris og sad oven på det fotorealistiske terræn er specialbygget autogen til byen Paris, så det ser meget realistisk ud, men det kan virkelig gøre dit fly simkamp på rammepriser, og i FSX, hvor det er begrænset til maksimalt 4Gb Virtual Addrees Space tildeles til sim, kan sådanne detaljerede scener gøre simulatorstyrtet , så du skal være forsigtig med hvad du tilføjer til FSX, hvis du vil have det til at fortsætte uden problemer.

Noget, der helt sikkert gør det bedre, er Ultimate Terrain X, som forbedrer simulatorens landklasse og placerer mere passende generiske scener i simulatoren, og det har meget lidt indflydelse på ydeevnen. En anden ting værd at tjekke ud er Steve's DX10 Fixer, som også kan tilføje skyskygger til simens evne, og det gør det sikkert, at standard terrænet ser bedre ud.

De fleste af disse ting er payware, og det kan snart begynde at tilføre mange penge, så hvis du vil have noget gratis, hvilket forbedrer tingene meget, kan du prøve denne:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/8957/fsx-power-project-v40-scenery/

Hello Chock

Thank you for your help. I will look on it. But I will have the bedst landscape to the whole globe.

And will Ultimate Terrain X give it???

If that could be done, I would not have freeware.

Ultimate Terrain X provides correct roads, rivers, streams, shorelines, and a more accurate land class than what is available with the stock installation of FSX, but it does not provide a more detailed mesh.  Think of it this way, the mesh is a blank canvas with valleys and hills, the land class (which is what Ultimate Terrain fixes) paints the canvas with the appropriate textures.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

3 hours ago, Startour said:

Hello Chock

Thank you for your help. I will look on it. But I will have the bedst landscape to the whole globe.

And will Ultimate Terrain X give it???

If that could be done, I would not have freeware.

Ultimate Terrain X only covers US, Canada, Europe and Caribbeans.  For the entire world, try ORBX Global, Vector, or Flight 1 GEX, ORBX also have landclass products as well.  I used to install mesh, but have not done them recently, if you fly at high altitude, the meh resolution does not really matter.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

5 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Ultimate Terrain X dækker kun USA, Canada, Europa og Caribbeans. For hele verden, prøv ORBX Global, Vector eller Flight 1 GEX, ORBX har også landclassprodukter. Jeg plejede at installere mesh, men har ikke gjort dem for nylig, hvis du flyver i høj højde, betyder ikke meh-resolutionen noget.

Hi Anxu00

Thank you for your help and infomation i will look on it. :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, Startour said:

Hi Anxu00

Thank you for your help and infomation i will look on it. :biggrin:

Yw.  I do recommend ORBX products for future upgrade path, should you want to be in P3D v4 one day.  Their upgrade are free.  Anyone new to FSX or FSX-SE should buy add-ons with this in mind, as buying same add-ons multiple times will be prohibitively expensive.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

4 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Yw.  I do recommend ORBX products for future upgrade path, should you want to be in P3D v4 one day.  Their upgrade are free.  Anyone new to FSX or FSX-SE should buy add-ons with this in mind, as buying same add-ons multiple times will be prohibitively expensive.

• It's also too bad that I did not buy P3Dv4.1 because I've seen that you can get an add-on to get realistic landscape called TOGA PROJECTS - ENVSHADE and when I saw pictures from the swimming pool program I thought why did not I buy P3D?

The reason I did not buy P3Dv4.1 was that I had heard that there were many who had problems with the version of Flight Simulator.

2 hours ago, Startour said:

The reason I did not buy P3Dv4.1 was that I had heard that there were many who had problems with the version of Flight Simulator.

Interesting.  I would suggest you do your own research though.  Many people bought P3D v4.1 without checking their hardware or software compatibility and then blamed them all on the sim.  I run 4.1 absolutely fine with the hardware in my signature.  The advantage is obviously the 64 bit support.  As you just start out, you have many advantages in that you have not bought many add-ons yet.  Take your times, but this time of the year is also when many vendors have discounts, so you can also save a lot.  Good luck.

Vu Pham

52 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Interessant. Jeg vil foreslå, at du selv gør din egen forskning. Mange mennesker købte P3D v4.1 uden at kontrollere deres hardware eller software kompatibilitet og derefter skylden dem alle på sim. Jeg kører 4.1 helt fint med hardware i min underskrift. Fordelen er naturligvis 64 bit support. Som du lige starter, har du mange fordele ved at du endnu ikke har købt mange tilføjelser. Tag dine tider, men denne tid på året er også, når mange leverandører har rabatter, så du kan også spare meget. Held og lykke.

Thank you I would just look at it. but I understand that Qualitywings has not released their 787 to P3D yet. so I think I'm waiting. but thank you very much for making me a little wise on these topics.