Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Good news and bad news...

My old computer crashed.  The CPU and MB fried.  I suppose neglecting the fans and running all summer in 80-85 degree temps took it's toll.

My new one arrived yesterday and after I figure out how Windows 10 works I'll be reinstalling my sim from scratch.

I ordered an Alienware from Dell.

i7 8700 (6 core) 12mb cache 4.6 GHZ Intel Turboboost Technology.

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

850 Watt power supply

nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 8KB GDDR5

32GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM

256GB SSD (Boot)

2TB 7200RPM SATA HD 6GB/S

Liquid Cooling

Now the kids have no inheritance.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I call that GOOD NEWS! Pity for the kids though LOL Looking forward to your first reports! But I am also curious what your sim will be now... P3D or still FSX? 

If you get rid of the kids AND the spouse you will have lots of excess cash for addons.

:biggrin:

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The Good News:  The new components should handle any current flight sim with no problem...  

The Bad News:  If you purchased an Alienware rig, I'm guessing you probably paid a bit too much for the name (with Dell as their new Daddy).  But they sure do make some very cool looking tower cases...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

I’m surprised that if you were going to spend that much you didn’t order from Jetline.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I never heard of Jetline.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

16 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Noel

Jetline System  is  a company  that build  pcs   and  install addons  and  test   to see  if  it  actaully  works before  they  ship it  to you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

32 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Noel

I’m surpirsed you hadn’t heard of them as long and often as you been reading these forums. Quite a few member here have rigs built by them since they specialize in rigs for flight simming. Personally I don’t use them since I just buy the parts and have it assembled locally, but for those who don’t want to mess with building a sim rig, they are considered one of the best. Probably around the same ball park as what you paid for your Dell. Doesn’t matter now, but consider them for your next build.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nice rig you have there now, i only had add it a K in the cpu and a TI in the gpu, but that of course also costs extra "miles" ;)...as sameeg stated above, you need another ssd, dont install the simulator in that ssd or in the hdd if not in a few months your reinstalling everything again.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

14 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If you get rid of the kids AND the spouse you will have lots of excess cash for addons.

Vic

and priceless time!

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

14 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

LOL i think some times on that ...  - (Wife + kid + dogs) = Home cockpit...dreaaaammm

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Happy simming on your new rig, Noel! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

17 hours ago, birdguy said:

My old computer crashed.  The CPU and MB fried.  I suppose neglecting the fans and running all summer in 80-85 degree temps took it's toll.

My new one arrived yesterday and after I figure out how Windows 10 works I'll be reinstalling my sim from scratch.

i7 8700 (6 core) 12mb cache 4.6 GHZ Intel Turboboost Technology.

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

850 Watt power supply

nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 8KB GDDR5

32GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM

256GB SSD (Boot)

2TB 7200RPM SATA HD 6GB/S

Liquid Cooling

Now the kids have no inheritance.

Noel

Similar thing happened to me, my old computer was eight years old, it wanted to go....  It was its time.

Jordan,

I am going with P3D v3 first.  I am airplane collector and P3Dv3 accepts many more FSX aircraft than V4 does.

If P3Dv3 performs well I'll stick to it.  If it doesn't I'll go back to FSX.

Noel