Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Thoughts on Synthetic Vision?

30 bucks - I'll give them credit for innovation!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If it is done well, this might be nice... :happy:

The examples shown are in mountainous territory - I would rather see an Approach in action..

And are we going to have a debate about which navdata is or is not being used??

Bert

I made a couple of video with SVS in the C172SP

I really like it, seems to be very FPS friendly and would probably allow a good pilot to land in nasty conditions and/or difficult locations with a higher degree of safety.  

I'll certainly be buying it for those other aircraft listed.

Cheers, Rob.

Probably a dumb question but I still have to get this. Does does a real C172 equipped with a C1000 include this feature?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Trying to make out the runway on the G1000 reminds me of landing at Meigs airport

in FS1 or FS3.. 

Nice try... :happy:

• Upvote 2

Bert

1 hour ago, pmb said:

feature?

C1000?  Assume you mean G1000 - if so yes real world aircraft do, certainly adds to the price of the aircraft.

oh Bert, such the pessimist :) ... key here is FPS friendly

Cheers, Rob

45 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Trying to make out the runway on the G1000 reminds me of landing at Meigs airport

in FS1 or FS3.. 

Nice try... :happy:

Oh Bert  - you sound like me hahahah

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Nice vids Rob - could you do a quick video imc in some mountain valleys?  See if you can avoid the terrain - I'm just curious 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Folks,

There's a YouTube video of a couple guys trying to land with Synthetic Vision alone - the one guy was a safety pilot - but don't count on making a landing in a real plane with Synthetic Vision alone...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

C1000?  Assume you mean G1000 - if so yes real world aircraft do, certainly adds to the price of the aircraft.

Thanks for the reply, sorry, G1000 of course. As fas as I recall,  the Cessnas I've had a chance to fly with in RL for sightseeing only had old clock-style gauges.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I can't really say I'm in need of synthetic vision, but if the rest of the G1000 is fully upgraded with stable flight plan entry and editing and directs and such, then it would be worth it for all those planes.  Is this something that replaces the GTN mods so we use it for LNAV?  Or is it the same old crappy Carenado G1000 with one of the screens features synthetic vis?

The SVS add-on for their G1000 planes has been useless to me, so far.  I installed the updated v2.1 Phenom 100, along with the SVS addon.  When I load up any other plane, the sim loads fine.  But when I select the Phenom 100, the sim will load as usual, but when it hits 100%, I get an immediate crash to desktop, saying the "Windows has detected a problem" box.  Is anyone else having this issue with this addon on other planes besides the C172?  I've tried this on both my desktop and laptop, but still same results.  Have gone through everything I can possibly go through, but still no success.  Looks like a great add-on, it's too bad it's unusable for me.  Any help on getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.  Do I need to do anything else after installing the add-on?  Run any other .exe or whatever?  Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

9 minutes ago, keithorton said:

Run any other .exe or whatever?

I'm not having a CTD, but it's also NOT installing for me ... there should be a SYN VIS button in the G1000, but I have nothing?

The folders I've found are:

D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Carenado\Synthetic Vision System  - only one file that is the user guide .PDF

D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\gauges\Carenado_G1000_SVS ... this has the Carenado_G1000_SVS_Config.exe  (for setting display resolutions options)

D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\WebSimBrowser\2.1\64

I found this entry in both versions of my DLL.XML files, there should only be one.

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>WebSimXML</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Path>.\WebSimBrowser\2.1\64\WebSimXML.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

I removed the extra duplicate entry but I'm still don't seeing the SYN VIS button for any of the supported aircraft except the original C172SP purchase.

I've inquired with the Developer, hopefully I can get some guidance.  Looks like we're missing files and/or some additional instructions on how to install SVS into the supported aircraft.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the reply, Rob... yeah, I've given up on getting it to work for now.  I actually got it to load a few times, but only when I loaded the initial flight up with a different plane and then switching to the Phenom 100, and it has only worked occasionally.  Every other reload, the sim crashes.  We are certainly missing something, and the PDF instruction file seems to be for the C172.  

You say that SYN VIS button isn't visible, which plane are you using?  I had that issue when I first installed, then realized that we had to re-download our G1000 equipped planes if we want to use the SVS, since they have updated them all with this release.  You probably already tried it, but did you download & install the updated plane yet? 

For the couple times I actually did get it to load, the SYN VIS button was there... the FPS were also cut almost in half, too... normally, at my home airport, I max the FPS at 60-65...I have vertical sync set to "adaptive" in the Nvidia Control Panel, so this is the max for me (monitor is a 60hz Samsung 1080p HDTV).  But once I turned on the battery & the glass cockpit lit up, it dropped to around 40fps.. sometimes as low as 30.  My home airport is in an area that isn't busy at all.  It surprised me.  My desktop is just two months old with a 7700k OCed at 4.6ghz, 32GB RAM, and a GTX1070... shouldn't be an issue with the system. 

When I went in to change the SVS quality to "normal", that's when it stopped loading... eventually managed to get it to load once more, but when I exited out to edit the panel.cfg file to turn off the co-pilot PFD, it was back to not loading.  Changed the cfg file back, but it did no good.  Just won't load up.  I submitted a support ticket to Carenado about the issue, hopefully they'll get our issues fixed soon.

Hey Rob, 

Just an update, seems as if the SVS works for the Phenom 300, just tried it on there.  Haven't had any issues as far as crashing.. so maybe it's a Phenom 100 issue?  Still pretty poor FPS performance, though.  even with the co-pilot PFD turned off, the frames hovered around 30fps at my quiet home airport.  I don't think turning off the co-pilot PFD really affects the FPS, IMO... not like the Flight1 Mustang, anyway.  

Also, do you know if there is a way to make the cabin lighting brighter in the Phenom 100?  It's way too dark in the passenger cabin after dark, the lighting back there barely puts out any light at all.... and the Phenom 300 cabin lighting is almost too bright.  Even though I really prefer the 100, I've been flying the 300 because of the terrible lighting in the 100's passenger cabin.  I even submitted a ticket to Carenado about it and sent photos, but they didn't really offer any help.  Is there a file I can go in and edit that would affect the lighting level in the back cabin of the 100?  That, and the constant "fuel critically low" message that pops up are the only things I don't like about the 100, but it is the cabin lighting issue that keeps me from flying it. 

Personally, I'll be happy when Flight1 finally releases the Mustang for P3D v4.... I'm only flying the Phenoms until that comes out.... but I don't think it'll be here for awhile.  They're working on projects one at a time, and said that they won't start working on the Mustang until the B200 update is complete.... it hasn't even been released yet.  I'm not looking for the Mustang to be released for a few months, IMO.  Thanks again.