Sign in to follow this  
Hansaspeed

Noticlble Drop in FPS After Windows Reinstall

I recently had to reinstall windows using the system reset feature of Windows 10. I noticed a subtle but noticeable loss of FPS in P3D. My settings are similar to what they used to be. What could have caused this?

If you re-installed, then it's probably because you are minus some recent updates that had improved the system. Just wait and good ole MS will catch you back up. You did mention "similar settings" and don't remember exactly how you had it set, that is maybe a bit of the problem also.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 11/17/2017 at 5:57 PM, Hansaspeed said:

I recently had to reinstall windows using the system reset feature of Windows 10. I noticed a subtle but noticeable loss of FPS in P3D. My settings are similar to what they used to be. What could have caused this?

You used the PC Reset?  Did you save your files or have it remove files?

I am still rebuilding from a PC Reset with saved files.  The import concept here is that even if all the files are saved, any program or module is not longer installed.  I started by downloading the complete P3Dv4.1 installer and installing it.  My aircraft all had to have their installers ran again and I had to be careful to backup and restore aircraft options and configuration files after the install.  Most sceneries worked great but FSDT AddOnManager had to be reinstalled and all couatl based sceneries had to be reauthenticated.  In summary, there is a lot of work to be done after resetting the OS, and taking such a step without understand what you are doing is not recommended.  Usually, it is best to try to solve a problem instead of trying to rebuild from a reset PC.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 11/23/2017 at 9:24 AM, downscc said:

You used the PC Reset?  Did you save your files or have it remove files?

I am still rebuilding from a PC Reset with saved files.  The import concept here is that even if all the files are saved, any program or module is not longer installed.  I started by downloading the complete P3Dv4.1 installer and installing it.  My aircraft all had to have their installers ran again and I had to be careful to backup and restore aircraft options and configuration files after the install.  Most sceneries worked great but FSDT AddOnManager had to be reinstalled and all couatl based sceneries had to be reauthenticated.  In summary, there is a lot of work to be done after resetting the OS, and taking such a step without understand what you are doing is not recommended.  Usually, it is best to try to solve a problem instead of trying to rebuild from a reset PC.

I had all my files removed. My Windows install was fairly new, and I didn't want to risk removing the virus I had gotten.

Some questions / suggestions:

1) Did you updated your OS with all windows updates?

2) Did you updated your Nvidia Drivers?

3) Since you don't remember you settings, maybe it would be good to put the default PD3 settings, measure your performance and start increasing settings slowly until you reach the same level of performance you had before.

Best Regards,
Simbol