Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

FS2004 scenery looks like a floodplain

Hello all,

Win 10 has completed the final destruction of my beloved FS2004. 

I have just spent a couple of days reinstalling Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and then reinstalling FS9.

After full installation of VOZ1.8 (Australia) and some additional airport sceneries, I then installed Evo 2015 with the 2018 updates and moved on to FE 1.3. I actually tested a flight with the stock Baron after each new airport scenery and after EVO. After installing FE (Full Environment) I started up FS2004 (or tried to at least) and got a message unfamiliar with me. "Flight Simulator is incompatible with Direct X 9.0C.  so I re-downloaded and installed Direct X. This achieved absolutely nothing. I deduced that the problem was with FE and this was something I have installed on many occasions with no problems.  However, I suspected SweetFX and went into my root folder and deleted all associated with SweetFX. This was successful and I am back to installing my aircraft etc.

However, on my first test flight after that uninstall/deletion I noticed that my autogen was great but only very close to the aircraft itself and everything in the near and far distance looks somewhat like a flood plain (ie dirty brown) 

Hence my first question.

1. what setting do I adjust in FS9, terrain or Scenery configs?

2. does, or can, fs9 actually utilise DX10 or above?

3. I have two GPUs (1080TI and 1050ti) ... in Settings/Display/Hardware I have the 1080 .0 ... .1, and .2 all set to 1920 x 1080. the 1050 is listed simply as ti 3 and only the one setting despite three displays hanging off it, (these are all different display resolutions.  I was thinking  that maybe I should set up in reverse ie 1050 ti as 0,1 and 2 (with their different resolutions) and set up the 1080 (one setting 1920x1080) I have no idea how to do this if, in fact, it is possible) 

4. I have also tried to add the three 1050 displays in my fs9 config and both, separately to the 1080ti displays and also together. neither of which actually does anything. I am also wondering if being able to reconfigure these settings will actually improve frame rates etc.

Anyway, I would really appreciate a response to all 4 of these questions whilst only the first is really required.

By the way, is anyone still able to run fs9 on Win 10.  It was working very well for me for a long time but the last few updates have really created many many headaches. I got to the stage where I had run out of aspirins and just gave up because my FS2004 had just become unworkable.  I have not installed an addon in probably twelve months so I do not think FS9 was the problem. 

Thanks in advance guys.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi,

Items 2., 3., and 4. are not supported by FS9.It supports DX9 only, one graphics card, and is processor rather than GPU bound. I'm not aware of a setting for autogen other than density, but any setting would be in the FS9.cfg file.

DJ

Sorry you're having so many problems with FS9 and Win 10.  I recently installed FS9 on Win 10 for the first time, and other than some workarounds required by out-of-date installer programs, have been pleasantly surprised how well it works and looks, even on the latest Nvidia drivers.  Of course, given how Win 10 handles "windows", I'm not surprised that you may be having problems with multiple monitors.

I wonder if your texture issue isn't related to the "extended textures" setting.  Do you have it set to "1" in your config file?

John G.

DJ and John,

Hey thanks guys.

I checked autogen density and that was set to 1 so that was ok. I found then that my Settings in Display/Hardware had all zeroed for some reason. I reset those and voila ... YEA

I started up a flight and found that I had no controls ... into controls/assignments and everything gone. Reset all assignments for trim wheel, yoke, rudder and quadrants. and all ok. 

A great flight ensued. I then went into my favourite IFly 737 and noticed that my VH-CAC texture had disappeared, I also found that my aircraft only showed half wheels (half buried in the tarmac) So I uninstalled the lovely old girl and resinstalled. She is still bogged and I then found that my AFT and FWD overhead,Throttle Quadrant and AFT Electrical panels were in dark/lit mode regardless of time of day and that the Virtual cockpit was normal (time 8.00 am) So I deleted that flight and recreated it with exactly the same results.

My IFly 747 appears to be normal, and all other aircraft seem to be normal as well.

I believe a visit to the Flight1 Ifly 737 forum is just about due.

This really has been an incredibly difficult and complicated withdrawal to Win 7 64 bit Ultimate and total uninstall and reinstall of FS2004. I have never, ever, had so many effin problems with either installations.

Anyway, I hope to have this resolved shortly and will let you all know how I get on.

Regards with gratitude

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.