Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Anyone want to try your PMDG skills in 777 simulator

I am headed to Miami in mid-February and will book two hours in a 777 Level D full motion simulator.  I've done this many times and it is great to test out our skills we mastered on our PMDG 777 and apply them to a $17 million full motion 777 sim.

If you are real good in your PMDG 777 sim, you should have no problem landing this plane. 

If anyone wants to join me, let me know.  We can do 4 hours total:  2 hours each n the left seat flying and 2 hours in the right seat.  It is a bit costly,  $1000 per person - but it is a real thrill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Paul Gugliotta

Know exactly where you are going and it's an excellent facility...

Been there quite a bit myself...  Had to do an emergency landing with the 777 in Brazil with one engine out!

Re: My profile pic...

Looks very similar to yours  ;-)

Chris Camp

Indeed, been there, done that. Just brush up on the SOP's, flows, the starndard visual pattern and the landing thechnique in the FCOM and you should get a "wow" from the instructor. ;)

But to be honest, the Level-D sim handles a bit differently, it's much smoother and actually way easier to land than a desktop sim, with a very limited range of motion and sight picture. What I really like about the 777 is the TAC, which helps quite a lot after a post V1 engine cut... :D And the ECL + EICAS of course - almost no system knowledge required. (EICAS driven aircraft principle).

Oh and the B77W actually starts rolling on idle power even at MTOW!

Well, you do agree, if you mastered the PMDG 777, you have no difficulty in a full motion sim? Agree?   That is my experience from doing this many times and I never flew a real plan in my life.  Quite a testimony for the great work PMDG does.

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

I wish I could try after PMDG. I did it once in Amsterdam on a 737 sim, unfortunately it was before the PMDG 737 was release, though I had purchased in advance the Full 737 documentation set printed by PMDG in top quality, and had gone through it so I was really not lost, and it went actually quite well even though I had 0 experience at all :) But for sure the PMDg products are a really good trainer.

The things I recall always the most except the obivous realism of the real cockpit/systems as well as movement, is really the weight of the yoke. I don't know for any other Boeing aircraft than the 737 but it sure felt heavy after the four hour time in the sim I sure had my arms a bit stiff, as obviously I flew a lot manually as spending time there with the autopilot would not be as interesting :D

Anyway I sure think that for any one that can have the chance to have a ride in one of these that it's really a great experience :) 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, paulyg123 said:

If anyone wants to join me, let me know.

Is it OK if those who have spent the last 40 plus years playing "You Bet Your Job" every 6 months pass? :smile:

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Can someone translate Bluestar's response for me?

Wedgantilles: I have flown on most of the Boeing Sims, and I agree, flying the 737 for 4 hours was a workout on my arms.  In my opinion, the 777 full motion sim is much easier to fly.

Back to my request - I'd hate to have a right vacant.  I already bought the plane tickets to KMIA and have a resort and tee times all set up.  I'll book the sim time tomorrow for 2 hours.  If anyone want to add two hours, let me know.  I guess I could drag my teenager kid with me, but she'll just be texting the whole time in the sim.

Paul Gugliotta

2 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

Can someone translate Bluestar's response for me?

Wedgantilles: I have flown on most of the Boeing Sims, and I agree, flying the 737 for 4 hours was a workout on my arms.  In my opinion, the 777 full motion sim is much easier to fly.

Back to my request - I'd hate to have a right vacant.  I already bought the plane tickets to KMIA and have a resort and tee times all set up.  I'll book the sim time tomorrow for 2 hours.  If anyone want to add two hours, let me know.  I guess I could drag my teenager kid with me, but she'll just be texting the whole time in the sim.

Is he asking if the people who fly in real life could pass on your offer/request?

Hi All,

What Bluestar, is saying in the real world of FAR121 flying,,, the pilot has to pass a check ride every six months, so you feel like you are betting your job if you fail... 40 years of flying mean at least 80 sim. checks.

PS. If you like flying and a little true history, go see  "American Made" movie, but suggest you read the plot first...

Jerry Friz

FYI, I usually schedule the time on the weekend or in the evening.  Real Pilots have the sim Mon-Friday 8 am - 5 pm.  So I go after hours - It works out better for all.  I will schedule Tuesday Feb 20th at 6-8 pm.  (right outside KMIA)

Paul Gugliotta

6 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

FYI, I usually schedule the time on the weekend or in the evening.  Real Pilots have the sim Mon-Friday 8 am - 5 pm.  So I go after hours - It works out better for all.  I will schedule Tuesday Feb 20th at 6-8 pm.  (right outside KMIA)

Wouldn't work for me, I work from end of January until middle of March.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I literally do this every 6 months at work.  Its a mixture of recurrent training and check rides.  It seems like a lot of fun but when your livelihood is riding on it, it can be stressful!!

I think I may have a few pics lying around somewhere from the early - wow this is cool - enjoyable days!

You know what would be cool: if I can get an ATC in with me. He/she can give me taxi, departure etc instructions along the way.   I will do a complete flight from KJFK to KBOS, cold dark cockpit -start-up taxi etc.   I'll take off heavy then magically dump fuel for landing.  I'll set weather at 1/2 mile visibility with 10 kt cross winds and shoot into KBOS ILS4R.

That will take 1 hour.  Then I'll do some fun approaches like KJFK 13L, and a couple of ILS approaches.   That will fill the 2 hours.

Paul Gugliotta