Sign in to follow this  
asbresnick

Target Prepar3D Version <UNSUPPORTED>

Just installed Prepar3D V4.1.7.22841. No other version of P3D V4 has ever been installed on my system (I used to have P3D V3). I installed it to E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.

I then unzipped my PTA 2.60 download to a folder I created.... E:\Program Files\PTA. Upon starting PTA, I run into an issue as you can see in the screenshot below. I figured, oh, I just need to manually tell it where to find my P3D V4.1 install, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure that out. I even tried completely uninstalling my P3D V4.1 and reinstalling in a different location on the drive...no joy.

Maybe I'm an word not allowed or maybe its the fact that it is 1 am, but am I missing something? 

Image isn't embedding so here is a link:

https://imgur.com/a/BWyq9

I am no expert, so I may be wrong, but WHY did you install PTA under "Program Files" ? Obviously PTA can't find your P3D directory.  I placed my PTA folder with all associated files inside on my desktop.  Here's the developer's "how to install"  notes:

PTA is a standalone portable application and not requires specific installation procedure. Just unzip distribution archive in separate directory that not requires administrative privilegies.

Before working with tweaks, please make sure that you have all original Prepar3D shaders in sim. Tweaked or modified shaders can't be used by PTA and will be ignored. (See ERROR messages in log.) In this situation just put the original version of shader in sim and PTA will catch them at next start.

At first start the tool should automatically detect target P3D version, find proper P3D installation directory, shaders cache directory, and create backup of used in tweaks shaders to \SHADERS_BACKUP subdirectory in main PTA directory. Config files, used by tool, will backup to \CONFIG_BACKUP. Please do not delete or modify contents of those subdirectories! Or you will loose ability to restore original sim files!

WAT1460.png

41 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

I am no expert, so I may be wrong, but WHY did you install PTA under "Program Files" ? Obviously PTA can't find your P3D directory.  I placed my PTA folder with all associated files inside on my desktop.  Here's the developer's "how to install"  notes:

Why not? I created a PTA folder in Program Files and unzipped it to that PTA folder because it is a "program" and I like to try and keep the drive organized. And I especially hate having much of anything on my Desktop.

I have read the developer's install notes. I don't see anything that would necessitate me installing it outside of a Program Files folder on my SSD. But nonetheless, I just tried unzipping it to my desktop to no avail. Same issue.

Is there really no way to manually tell PTA where the sim is located? Or is that not my issue? Is my issue literally what it is telling me, that my sim, P3D V4.1 Professional is unsupported? Which I find hard to believe because my thought was version 2.6 of PTA was intended for P3D V4.1.

There are probably bits left in your registry from your P3D v3 installation.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

28 minutes ago, asbresnick said:

Why not? I created a PTA folder in Program Files and unzipped it to that PTA folder because it is a "program" and I like to try and keep the drive organized. And I especially hate having much of anything on my Desktop.

I have read the developer's install notes. I don't see anything that would necessitate me installing it outside of a Program Files folder on my SSD. But nonetheless, I just tried unzipping it to my desktop to no avail. Same issue.

Is there really no way to manually tell PTA where the sim is located? Or is that not my issue? Is my issue literally what it is telling me, that my sim, P3D V4.1 Professional is unsupported? Which I find hard to believe because my thought was version 2.6 of PTA was intended for P3D V4.1.

Sorry, but what I read was to NOT install this APP anywhere that needs administrative privileges.  I've always thought the Program Files folder does need EXE files opened with administrator privileges, hence my reason for placing it on the desktop

WAT1460.png

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

There are probably bits left in your registry from your P3D v3 installation.

That would make sense. Do you know the best way for finding those and deleting them? I have no experience with registry editing.

I should also add, after reading another post here, I did just update my Windows 10 (Fall Creators update I believe?). I never tried installing it before the update however, so I'm not sure if they had any impact whatsoever.

EDIT: Considered this case closed on account of me being a dunce.

Apparently you have to start P3D V4 at least once prior. Being that this was a clean install, I was just trying to get all the "necessary" addons installed first and never actually started the sim after install to, I supposed, create the shader files? Regardless, all good now.

I just started getting this error message also. I have been running PTA  with P3d V4.1 successfully since V4.1 first came out. Any thoughts as to why this would show up for no reason at all? Reinstallation of PTA 2.60 doesn't get rid of the error.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.