Sign in to follow this  
John F71

FSX Acceleration won't load after Fall Update V1709

My FSX Acceleration now refuses to load after the Windows 10 Fall V1709 update. The blue start up screen appears but then nothing. Anyone had this problem and what do I do?

15 hours ago, John F71 said:

My FSX Acceleration now refuses to load after the Windows 10 Fall V1709 update. The blue start up screen appears but then nothing. Anyone had this problem and what do I do?

I have FSX/Acceleration loaded with V1709.  Make sure you are not opening in Full Screen by going into your FSX.cfg and under the Main Section, change Maximized from 2 to 1 or 1 to 2.  I have not been able to load maximized or, if the sim is loaded and I try to change the resolution using Alt+Enter, the sim will freeze. Have to do more research as to vas ist los.  Here is a couple of screenshots to show it works:

FSX_at_LAX.png

Windows.png

Of course, if all else fails, you can go to Windows Update (click search and type update) and look to the left and click on Recover.  Then tell it to go back to the previous version.  There are other instructions on the Internet and here on AVSIM as to how to prevent Windows Update from updating again to V1709.  Hopefully, if there is an issue, Microsoft will be kind to us and fix it so it works properly.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your tips.

Unfortunately changing my Maximized from 2 to 1 has not had the desired effect. Any more suggestions, before I "Recover"?

After many years and much expense on FSX I am coming to the conclusion that moving to X-Plane 11 might be a better option.!

1 hour ago, John F71 said:

I am coming to the conclusion that moving to X-Plane 11 might be a better option.!

I strongly recommend moving to XP11.  I have that sim too and it was developed and released in the 21st Century and will continue to be upgraded.  I only have FSX/Acceleration installed in case members, like you, have issues with it and I can use it to test.  I think FSX/Acceleration is being seriously harmed by Windows 10 updates.  I mainly use P3DV4.1 as it has been impossible for me to load XP11 and use it even though I bought it on Day 1.  I'm use to the FS9/FSX/P3D installations and setups and XP11 has totally caused me much frustrations because its setup is complete different.  I just need more time to learn and read the manuals!  Good luck with your experiences with XP11!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That Windows update is causing a problem with FSX SE and PREPARED v4. I know because I'm one of them.

I just finished a flight from KLAS to KLAX in the PMDG 737 in FSX and no problems.  Had real weather on too.  But I did lose a lot of VAS and had the FSUIPC dinging as I taxiied to the gate.  That might be normal as I have Orbx SoCal installed and FPS dropped dramatically when I got into the LAX area. 

The main thing about the upgrade is that it is going to seriously mess up your sound card.  If you have a Creative sound card, recommend updating as they have updates waiting for this latest upgrade.  I ended up uninstalling and then completely reinstalling using the disk that came with my sound card.  It installs the drivers and then goes on the website and downloads and installs the latest.  It may sound like your sound card is working when you first upgrade Windows 10 but it is not functioning properly and you will see issues in FSX/FSX-SE and probably P3DV4 too.  It took several hours for me to fix mine.  You should also go to your display driver settings in the NVidia Inspector and reapply those settings.  Same with P3D.  Just go to your Display Driver, open up the settings for P3D and restore (you do not want to change any of your display driver settings on your video card for P3DV4 unless you want problems).

That's it!  Nothing to it!  As I said above, if you continue to have problems, best you go back and recover to the previous version.

Submit News to AVSIM

On 11/19/2017 at 5:30 AM, John F71 said:

Unfortunately changing my Maximized from 2 to 1 has not had the desired effect. Any more suggestions, before I "Recover"?

You might try to disable fullscreen optimizations.  Go to FSX.exe, right click and select Properties.  Click on the compatibility tab.  Look down to the bottom and click on Disable fullscreen optimizations.  This is a new option I'm seeing with the latest Windows updates.  Those who have P3D can do the same.

Submit News to AVSIM

For P3D, this was fixed by renaming the p3d.cfg to p3d.cfg.off, restarting and letting the config rebuild.  I was having the error messages with FSX occasionally, renamed, the FSX.cfg to fsx.cfg.off, restarted, and let the config rebuild.  Don't forget you will have to add the simobjectspaths in the Main section.  Mine was like:

SimObjectPaths.6=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.7=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.8=C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\data\SimObjects
SimObjectPaths.9=C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjects

In the Graphics section, make sure you add HighMemFix=1 (believe this is added by FSX-SE automatically but make sure; FSX-SE users might not even need it)

So far, for my FSX (boxed), I have not seen the errors and have fingers and legs crossed in hopes it is fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM