Sign in to follow this  
flightskyc

New Build ordered! (i7-8700k)

Well, my wife surprisingly allowed me to update my computer! Christmas has indeed come early this year.

My trusty i5-3570k has been going well for the past 5-6 years, but it's time to say goodbye!

Here's the parts I just ordered, arriving tomorrow. A nice Sunday afternoon activity of building the new machine awaits!

• CPU: i7-8700K :biggrin: (aiming for ~5ghz OC)
  • Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z370-F
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz (Cl15)
  • GFX: EVGA SC 980 Ti (not new, from my current system)
  • Storage: 2x PCI-E Samsung 960 EVO SSD's [+ existing my existing SSD's.]
  • Power: Corsair RM750X
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Window)
  • Monitor: Awaiting black Friday sales, looking to move from 1080p -> 1440p + G-Sync

Will post some pics when It's built. Will post the results with P3D + XP11 once I'm happy with the OC.

• Upvote 1

Built my 8700k rig a couple weeks ago. You're going to love your results!

• Upvote 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Great build!  I like pictures too and I use P3D and XP11 as well.  And I'm in the market too lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You`ll love it, I have a similar system running at the moment, the 8700K at 4.7 GHz. Just a GTX1080Ti instead. Looks gorgeous with an 43" LG 4k monitor.

40+ fps with all sorts of Addons installed : E.g FSLabs A320 at Aerosoft EDDF Professional, Orbx Global + Germany North/South, Envtex/Envshade, Black Marble Base, Active Sky with ASCA HD Content, UT Live at 60%.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

4 hours ago, mikealpha said:

You`ll love it, I have a similar system running at the moment, the 8700K at 4.7 GHz. Just a GTX1080Ti instead. Looks gorgeous with an 43" LG 4k monitor.

40+ fps with all sorts of Addons installed : E.g FSLabs A320 at Aerosoft EDDF Professional, Orbx Global + Germany North/South, Envtex/Envshade, Black Marble Base, Active Sky with ASCA HD Content, UT Live at 60%.

Mike

40+ fps with FSLabs A320 at EDDF, Germany South and UTlive at 60%? With DL ON? And which MSAA or SSAA?

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

21 minutes ago, Vali said:

40+ fps with FSLabs A320 at EDDF, Germany South and UTlive at 60%? With DL ON? And which MSAA or SSAA?

Yes. With DL On, 4x MSAA, no SSAA.

Still have to play around more with MSAA and SSAA, but so far looks good enough for my taste. Some fps left for whatever Addon in the future. 

Mike

Hello mikealpha,

I am curious about a monitor upgrade (aside from a full PC upgrade, of course), and was searching, precisely, for a 43" 4K TV adapted as a monitor. Is yours a dedicated PC monitor or a TV adapted as such? If it is a monitor, how much did you pay for it? Could you please share the model? Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, JohnsonPBX said:

Is yours a dedicated PC monitor or a TV adapted as such? If it is a monitor, how much did you pay for it? Could you please share the model? Thanks in advance!

It's a dedicated PC monitor, model is LG 43UD79. It has a lower input lag (around 10ms) than conventional TV monitors and an overdrive function to reduce tearing, that's why I decided for it. Price is around 700 Euro in Germany.

After around a week usage now I can really recommend it.

Mike

On 18/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, flightskyc said:

• Monitor: Awaiting black Friday sales, looking to move from 1080p -> 1440p + 

What size monitor? Thinking of moving to 1440p or evem 4k myself. Not sure how big to go what with menu sizes tp worry about etc.

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

What size monitor? Thinking of moving to 1440p or evem 4k myself. Not sure how big to go what with menu sizes tp worry about etc.

I'm still researching this -- but was told that if you run 4k you will want a 40" monitor or bigger, or else the menu text is really small.   My first thought was that one could turn up the text size in Windows to counteract this, but what do I know!   I haven't tried any of it yet. 

I'm still running an old 2700K, but not for too much longer!  My first post at AVSIM since...2012?  Good to see the old Hardware Forum rolling, and some of the same names I recognize from the past.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

Just make sure the pixel density (PPI pixel per inch) is high enough, otherwise you won`t get it sharp enough. PPI should be higher than 90. 

E.g. at 43" and 4k the PPI is 103, which is fine. At 1440 it would be only 74, which is too low. 

So at that size you really need 4k.

Mike

17 hours ago, Mace said:

I'm still researching this -- but was told that if you run 4k you will want a 40" monitor or bigger, or else the menu text is really small.   My first thought was that one could turn up the text size in Windows to counteract this, but what do I know!   I haven't tried any of it yet. 

I'm still running an old 2700K, but not for too much longer!  My first post at AVSIM since...2012?  Good to see the old Hardware Forum rolling, and some of the same names I recognize from the past.

Rhett is that you?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Rhett is that you?

Yes it's me.  Glad to see you here Ryan.  I don't know why I was away from FS for so long.   I think I've forgotten everything!  You all will help me get back up to speed, I'm sure...

I'm looking to upgrade, maybe to an 8700K, so this thread interests me.  

I may build something to run Xplane and P3D on.  Maybe even this new thing, FSW, which I know next to nothing about.  These days, I have the $$ but not the time like I used to, so I probably won't be able to tweak and test as much as I used to.  I used to love doing that, even more than flying.  Now I think I'd rather fly something.  I'm pretty impressed with these new cpu's (7700K, 8700K, and the intel X series)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB