Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

A Splash of Paint

Hi Folks,

While it's a straight forward tracing job of the default blue and silver scheme - what a difference a little color makes...

Still very much a work in progress - the stripes need work and I'm debating whether to paint the entire empennage red instead of black - we'll see - I was just surprised how good the red looks when I loaded it up into the sim... Combined with Bert's mods and RXP's GNS I'm really starting to like this plane...

24bvlf7.jpg

346pcfa.jpg

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

For my next trick - we need some Tradewind Aviation paints... We'll see how it goes... They seem to fly some interesting and desirable routes:

• Puerto Rico (TJSJ) to St Barths and other eastern Caribbean destinations...
  • White Plains (KHPN) to Nantucket and other New England destinations...

Note: SOMEBODY - please make White Plains - it's a very cool feeder to New York City...

fleet-pc12-pic2.jpg

n515cc-tradewind-aviation-pilatus-pc-124

IMG_44751.jpg

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

Very Nice Scott, the Red really looks good on her. The black empennage looks pretty cool!

Cheers

Martin

• Upvote 1

Hi Martin,

Thanks - ok - maybe I'll keep the black - now just to get all the lines straightened out...

Regards,
Scott

Scott, I've always wanted to make a Cape Air repaint of the PC12 but I've never attempted a repaint before. I've looked online for how to do it but quickly got discouraged at all the differing responses. Could you give me discription of the programs you use and the basic steps?

1 hour ago, LZScout said:

Scott, I've always wanted to make a Cape Air repaint of the PC12 but I've never attempted a repaint before. I've looked online for how to do it but quickly got discouraged at all the differing responses. Could you give me discription of the programs you use and the basic steps?

Hi,

Sure - like the legend around here - Steve Drabek - my favorite paint program is Paint Shop Pro - I'm using version x9 but I've been using various versions of it for more than a decade... It's a great little program that does everything - including vector graphics (necessary for smooth curves and striping) - AND you don't have to contribute to Adobe's cash cow - Photoshop - the program that you just keep paying and paying and paying for (subscription based)...

I think PSP has a demo if you care to try it - just don't expect to pick it up in one sitting.... There is usually plenty of help available if you ask and a ton of video tutorials on YouTube...

It takes a little getting used too - but it quickly becomes an old friend...

The next thing you need is free - it's Nvidia's plugin to read and write DDS files - saves you heaps of time keeping the process internal to you paint program - vs - using an additional program to convert files...

That's it - it's truly satisfying to be able to paint something you like and see it in sim... 

As a side note - Carenado/Alabeo models aren't for the faint of heart - they don't make it easy - and they can be an exercise in frustration... They don't provide paint kits and they must have some program that chops up their textures to optimize their placement on a texture sheet - because what looks like a straight stripe on a model - might jump to 7 or 8 little pieces of texture on the sheet all at different angles - therefore - you're the one that needs to sort them out... You can see my stripes are still mangled in my above shots and it will take some tedious and time consuming work to straighten them out...

Huge fan of Cape Air - my kingdom for a 402... They fly many of the same routes I mentioned for Tradewind Aviation above...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott, the empennage would also probably look good Red, with the horizontal stabilizer remaining black, I'm sure either way you do it, it will look great.  

Nice work!

Cheers

Martin

Hi Scott,

painting a Carendo Airplane is really a challenge, looks great. The Tradewind would be a nice Repaint, stick to it...

Raller

• Upvote 1

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Thanks for the reply Scott. Looks like I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me. Does the nVidea plugin come with PSP or do i have do download from their website? Does it have a name?

Lantz

looking very very good Scott!

Greg

• Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Hi Scott,

On 18-11-2017 at 6:06 PM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

For my next trick - we need some Tradewind Aviation paints... We'll see how it goes... They seem to fly some interesting and desirable routes:

• Puerto Rico (TJSJ) to St Barths and other eastern Caribbean destinations...
  • White Plains (KHPN) to Nantucket and other New England destinations...

Note: SOMEBODY - please make White Plains - it's a very cool feeder to New York City...

The N668TW is already been done, see topic:

Regards,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Thanks - I'll have to check it out...

:wink:

Hi Folks,

Uploaded:

xm3dzp.jpg

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

Hi Scott, very nice. I'll be downloading this as soon as it shows up in the library.

Cheers

Martin

• Upvote 1