Sign in to follow this  
ivatt

X-Plane 11 External Moving Maps

I believe this has been raised several times in the past but I hope everyone will indulge me.

I really want to get an external moving map so I can follow my aircraft on my Windows 10 laptop. I have tried the External Moving Map 1.1 by petitetre I found YouTube but just cannot get this working. I have set the UPD data outputs in x-plane settings but when I try to run the .jar file it sometimes, but not always, brings up what is supposed to be the external map but it never connects to the host set in x-plane. Usually the host address on the utility is different to x-plane and if I try to amend manually I get an error it cannot connect.

Fortunately I have found an App for my wifes ipad called X-Mapper TNG and this worked straight away but got to fight for use of the ipad so would like an alternative option.

Thanks in anticipation.

Plane 11.53 (64 Bit) MSFS 2020
ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-E2.0
Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90Ghz
16 GBytes DDR4 DRAM Latency 1200.8 MHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 8 GBytes GDDR5

FS Commander. (would require the freeware xuipc plugin). 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Plan-G works for me, and it's also a very good flight planner (if you don't need SID/STAR). It's donation-ware at this address:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Check this forum as well: https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/780-little-navmap-little-navconnect-little-logbook-support-forum/

I really like Plan-G, but tend to use Little Navmap more and more, because it fits most of my needs for such a program, some interesting features are already planned and it is quite actively maintained. Plan-G still lacks a nice airspace display at the moment for X-Plane.

Sorry I do not have the link handy, but I am now using LittleNavMap (used to use Plan-G), it is very well made and also support Windows, Linux, and Mac

@ivatt:

If you want to see the moving map on a separate screen rather than on your laptop screen, may I suggest the free Avare app on an inexpensive Android phone or tablet?

https://apps4av.com

I use FS-FlightControl for all my Sims (except AeroflyFS2 - yet)

https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/

It's not cheap but has a host of additional functions. You can try it before buying.

Besides, EFB from FSWidgets 

http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=dg3qk8p3s787r896b2uh66bab7

which I use for AeroflyFS2 is X-Plane-enabled, too.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I did use Plan-G briefly in both FSX and when I switched to x-plane but never really got the hang of it to be honest and never knew it could be used as a moving map on a separate PC.

I have tried Little NavMap and did all the transfer of scenery file without any problem but as yet have not been able to make connection betwen my x-plane PC and my Windows 10 laptop (64 Bit). I put the Little XpConnect plugin in my x-plane folder [Desktop\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\Little XpConnect] and if I check the Plugin Admin it shows it as enabled. I then tried to setup the connection on my laptop and as described in the manual for remote connection but having read the info again I wonder if I put the wrong address in. I used my Windows PC name but the port I used was not the same as shown in the LittleNavConnect text file when connected to x-plane. I will have to have another go later.

When I tried External Moving Map 1.1 I had to enable the Data Output in x-plane (item 20) and the set network data option. There is nothing to indicate needing similar actions in Little NavMap so assume it's not needed and X-Mapper TNG doesn't need anything either and proves the two devices will talk if setup correctly

Haven't looked any further at Little NavMap (especially the moving map) as no point until I can my laptop talking to the PC.

I appreciate the suggestions for the Ipad but would prefer to have the map on my laptop so I don't conflict with my wife's Ipad use (plus I get a larger picture which helps). Also due to health issues I have to limit my "flying time" meaning I am a casual simmer (and a slow learner to boot) so paying for extra utilities isn't really suitable.

ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-E2.0

Here's one more suggestion

http://www.geminisoftware.de/

It's free and it has a X-Plane version.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Little Navmap remote connection: You need to have Little NavConnect running on both the FS PC and the remote laptop. At least that's what I did wrong the first time... ;-)

Björn

12 hours ago, sPe4yvuY said:

Little Navmap remote connection: You need to have Little NavConnect running on both the FS PC and the remote laptop. At least that's what I did wrong the first time... ;-)

Björn

Thanks will give that a try next time I try if I still can't get it working. How good is the moving map?

Chris

ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-E2.0

14 hours ago, pmb said:

Here's one more suggestion

http://www.geminisoftware.de/

It's free and it has a X-Plane version.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi, just had a look at the site and the manual. As I said at the beginning I want the moving map running on a separate PC to my x-plane installation. How easy is it to set up AirMap for this configuration. Any tips much appreciated.

Chris

ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-E2.0

Hi Chris,

I don't have Gemini installed at present for using FS-FlighControl, however, I had it running for quite some time on a remote laptop for X-Plane as well as Prepar3d. When executing the installer it asks if you want to do a "standard" or remote installation. If memory serves me right, it asks for the IP of the Server at the end of installation. Maybe I had to insert a port number in the config file in addition for one of the sims, but basically it was that. I think you have to execute a module on the main machine which makes a dll.xml entry as well.

Contrary to most other moving maps this one is based on real-world airport data. Which has the advantage that you don't have to rebuild a database every time you install new scenery. The disadvantage is data may deviate where the simulator airport doesn't exactly fit its real counterpart.

You need a (free) MapQuest account for satellite maps, otherwise it's just OSM and a few more exotic maps.

Kind regards, Michael