Sign in to follow this  
Crv1

RX 580 8gb/Gtx 1060 6gb

Hi, in a week or so I'm gonna buy a new pc. It's going to be a ryzen 5 1600 and the gpu will be a rx 580 8gb or a gtx 1060 6gb. How are these 2 cards performing in x-plane 11? I saw that amd cards aren't the best for x-plane... 

AMD are pretty good for xplane from what UI see, I just went from a GTX 970 4 gig to GTX 170 8gig. and now i have seeing it get to 6.6 gig vram, on the other card it was at 3.9 as i had to reduce graphics. No diff in frame rates with highers graphics not maxed out though. which is unsurprising around 30 to 50 FPS

From the developer Ben Supnik: "The bad news is: AMD users aren't running 11.10's fastest path due to problems with our current code and drivers. The good news is: the next round of enhancements do work with AMD cards, so we can get back to treating them normally. That code is now looking reasonably stable, but it wasn't stable early enough to make it into 11.10.  I think it will be available in beta this year though."

So you should be fine in the next releases.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

From the developer Ben Supnik: "The bad news is: AMD users aren't running 11.10's fastest path due to problems with our current code and drivers. The good news is: the next round of enhancements do work with AMD cards, so we can get back to treating them normally. That code is now looking reasonably stable, but it wasn't stable early enough to make it into 11.10.  I think it will be available in beta this year though."

So you should be fine in the next releases.

Hes taking of video cards here not CPUS. AMD cpus are fine.

10 hours ago, Crv1 said:

Hi, in a week or so I'm gonna buy a new pc. It's going to be a ryzen 5 1600 and the gpu will be a rx 580 8gb or a gtx 1060 6gb. How are these 2 cards performing in x-plane 11? I saw that amd cards aren't the best for x-plane... 

Ryzen CPUs are awesome ! I have the 1800x and it kicks word not allowed ! The more Vram the better ! So would i would lean toward 580.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

8 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Hes taking of video cards here not CPUS. AMD cpus are fine.

The OP said: "I saw that amd cards aren't the best for x-plane...", so he was referring to the videocard as well.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thank you guys for help, I think I'm gonna stick with the rx 580 8gb. I'm just gonna run the demo and see if the fps is good or nah. Eventually I will wait for updates.

Can you guys advise me here please

My Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB  it’s an old card and it needs  an upgrade I’m sure you will agree but I am on a really tight budget, can you advise me on what Graphics Card I should get please. I fly mainly X-Plane 11.

Processor is a Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor

Thank you

regards Paul EGCC 

Regards

Paul EGCC

A gtx 1060 6GB would be good fit

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, Crv1 said:

Thank you guys for help, I think I'm gonna stick with the rx 580 8gb. I'm just gonna run the demo and see if the fps is good or nah. Eventually I will wait for updates.

You should keep in mind that LR will be kicking off the Vulkan API sometime next year, with which rx580 shows good performance relative to 1060 in some recent titles optimized for this API. The other thing is, if you have or planning to buy G-sync or Freesync monitor. Definitely go with 1060 in the first case, and with rx580 for the later.    

I think I can manage a 1060...descent price on Amazon 

Regards

Paul EGCC

3 hours ago, tull said:

I think I can manage a 1060...descent price on Amazon 

Just remember on the 1060 - There is one with 3GB of VRAM and another with 6.  Don’t let the price lead you to the 3.

John

John Wingold

Yeah Defo will get  He 6gb thanks 

Regards

Paul EGCC