Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

VOX ATC Sound @ 50% in sndvol W10

This may be more of a windows issue than VOX but I figure Ill start here.  I noticed my vox atc speech sounded fairly low, hard to hear over the A320 cockpit.  I went to sndvol in W10 to raise the volume and noticed it was at 50%.  I figured ok Ill raise it...However every time the ATC speaks, it drops back to 50%.  Is this a setting in Vox somewhere or in windows?

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Just installed VoxATC 7 for use with P3D v4 on Win 10 and experienced the exact same issue.  Every time I tried to adjust the volume of VoxATC it would reduce by exactly 50% as soon as a voice is interjected.  I am using the stock Microsoft 64 bit voices for W10 and an additional Cepstral voice.  The sound settings in the control panel/ sound/communications settings are set to "Do Nothing" rather than to reduce volume if an incoming call/voice is detected.  I too think that this may be a Win 10 issue but it seems odd that all other detected sound levels stay the same except Vox.  Any suggestions appreciated.

4 minutes ago, jimgem said:

Just installed VoxATC 7 for use with P3D v4 on Win 10 and experienced the exact same issue.  Every time I tried to adjust the volume of VoxATC it would reduce by exactly 50% as soon as a voice is interjected.  I am using the stock Microsoft 64 bit voices for W10 and an additional Cepstral voice.  The sound settings in the control panel/ sound/communications settings are set to "Do Nothing" rather than to reduce volume if an incoming call/voice is detected.  I too think that this may be a Win 10 issue but it seems odd that all other detected sound levels stay the same except Vox.  Any suggestions appreciated.

At least its not me.  I'm thinking more of a windows issue myself.  I'm trying to remember if I had the same issue with Pilot2ATC and I think I may have.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Seems similar to my problem:

I'm using windows 8. Unfortunately this makes using voxatc very difficult.

Same behavior, volume back to 50% each time atc speak....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I came up with a sort of workaround.  Since I have the astro a40 headseat.  I changed the sounce output in vox to the 'voice' channel meant for voice apps like teamspeak, discord, skype ect.  This was I can use the built in mixer to handle volume adjustments.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

Hi pegruder, could you elaborate " source output in vox" please.

For me lowering  engine sounds in fsx helps, but I was stuck that I couldn't seem to reduce majestic dash volumes. As a workaround I used a programme called "audacity" (free). To reduce the prop sounds volume in the planes folder. Can now hear vox much better. 

We've learned that on certain sound cards there can be abnormalities 
(too soft or too loud sound). You may however use the mjc84.ini 
configuration file located in the /ini folder to fine tune the sound 
system for your particular PC. The [SOUND] section contains the 
individual volumes and the explanation on how to change them

Edited by capablanca
Found more info

14 hours ago, capablanca said:

Hi pegruder, could you elaborate " source output in vox" please.

For me lowering  engine sounds in fsx helps, but I was stuck that I couldn't seem to reduce majestic dash volumes. As a workaround I used a programme called "audacity" (free). To reduce the prop sounds volume in the planes folder. Can now hear vox much better. 

We've learned that on certain sound cards there can be abnormalities 
(too soft or too loud sound). You may however use the mjc84.ini 
configuration file located in the /ini folder to fine tune the sound 
system for your particular PC. The [SOUND] section contains the 
individual volumes and the explanation on how to change them

If you go to voice configuration - and then settings.  You can set the output device youd like to have vox play on.  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

So there doesn't seem to be a clear solution to this volume issue? I'm experiencing the same, 50% volume reduction everytime VOX speaks.

Jim V.

Jim Vasto

23 minutes ago, morpheous said:

So there doesn't seem to be a clear solution to this volume issue? I'm experiencing the same, 50% volume reduction everytime VOX speaks.

Jim V.

What happens when you adjust the voice volumes in the VOXATC Voice Config utility (as opposed to the overall sound device volume in Windows)?

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

What happens when you adjust the voice volumes in the VOXATC Voice Config utility (as opposed to the overall sound device volume in Windows)?

All the voice volumes are currently at 100% is there another setting I should be looking at?

Jim V

Jim Vasto

Sorry no, but I was just wondering what happens when you set them to 50% or less.  As others have said, this is probably a sound driver issue that's creating a conflict with VOXATC. The add-on and mobo sound devices have so many options for each output, that I'm amazed sometimes that Windows apps with sound work at all. I use the HDMI sound output from my nVidia video card, so I'm afraid I can't be much help on this.

5 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Sorry no, but I was just wondering what happens when you set them to 50% or less.  As others have said, this is probably a sound driver issue that's creating a conflict with VOXATC. The add-on and mobo sound devices have so many options for each output, that I'm amazed sometimes that Windows apps with sound work at all. I use the HDMI sound output from my nVidia video card, so I'm afraid I can't be much help on this.

I have to lower the P3D volume to 50% as well, that's the workaround.

I would love to have VOX only come thru on a headset, with P3D coming thru on the speakers, how did you get that to work?

Jim V.

Jim Vasto

49 minutes ago, morpheous said:

would love to have VOX only come thru on a headset, with P3D coming thru on the speakers, how did you get that to work?

Nothing special, I just switched the sound device in the VOXATC Voice Config utility to correspond to the audio device that controls the headphone jack. It's located under the settings tab and output device.

But you could also change the output device in the sim's UI and that works as I recall. At one point, I had engine sounds, aircraft sounds, ambient noise etc., going to my speakers (default Windows audio device under Playback devices) and the voice communications going to my the headphones (default Windows audio communication device) but having ambient sounds from the speakers sometimes interfered with the speech recognition, so I just channel everything to the headphones.