Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Fix for AoA indicator on the PFD

An Angle of Attack fix just came up on the Carenado S550 Citation forum, and my tests show that it applies to the PC12 as well.

Open the Gauge_EFIS_EADIVCV4 xml file with Notepad and search for "ASI Pointer".

Change:

<Script>(A:SIM ON GROUND,bool)  if{ 0 } els{ (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, number) (A:STALL ALPHA, number) / 2 * }</Script>

to

<Script>(A:SIM ON GROUND,bool)  if{ 0 } els{ (A:Angle of attack indicator, number) 1.88 - /-/ }</Script>

Credit goes to Nirgal :cool:

• Upvote 3

Bert

Hi Bert,

i just noticed that...

AoA.jpg

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Credit goes to Nirgal :cool:

Sorry, make that Whamil77, my bad..:blush:

Bert

2 hours ago, Raller said:

Hi Bert,

i just noticed that...

AoA.jpg

Yes, you have to fix the popup EADI separately.

At least you can see the improvement when you have them operating side by side  :happy:

Bert

check, thx...

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Hi Bert,

Wondering is this fix correct? To me the popup, show a more correct indication as the one in the VC. 

The plane is at a high angle of attack with relative low speed, and the pointer still say you are going "too fast"?

Also if a fly a approach "on speed" on the indicator, i get a pitch angle of 5-8 degrees up?

Or am i missing something here? Or is it a fix which is only for P3Dv4 and not FSX?

Regards,

Marcel

41 minutes ago, mgr said:

Hi Bert,

Wondering is this fix correct? To me the popup, show a more correct indication as the one in the VC. 

The plane is at a high angle of attack with relative low speed, and the pointer still say you are going "too fast"?

Also if a fly a approach "on speed" on the indicator, i get a pitch angle of 5-8 degrees up?

Or am i missing something here? Or is it a fix which is only for P3Dv4 and not FSX?

Regards,

Marcel

Not sure... 125 knots IAS at 7800 feet is not low speed, so it may well be correct.  The pointer is not saying too fast either.. it says that you are safe at that speed.

Try it.. the original AoA indicator is useless IMHO..

Bert

The AoA indicator is actually a Fast / Slow indicator and the center is normally at VST x 1.3.

In case of the PC-12 at MTOW this would mean it should be centered for flaps 0° at approx 118kts, 15°/96   30°/88   and 40°/83.

The window between F and S is normally either 10 or 20kts. 

Hi,

1 minute ago, J35OE said:

The AoA indicator is actually a Fast / Slow indicator and the center is normally at VST x 1.3.

In case of the PC-12 at MTOW this would mean it should be centered for flaps 0° at approx 118kts, 15°/96   30°/88   and 40°/83.

This is indeed how i use it and it seems the work fine, especially on approach.

Regards,

Marcel

Great :) The minimum approach speed is VST x1.3 and the approach is the only time when you use the Fast / Slow indicator.

1 hour ago, J35OE said:

Maybe this will get you closer to those numbers..

<Script>(A:SIM ON GROUND,bool)  if{ 0 } els{ (A:Angle of attack indicator, number) 2.14 - /-/ }</Script>

Bert

31 minutes ago, LZScout said:

Bert, can you tell us where the gauge for the pop up panel is located?

Lantz

Request V5.5 from me via PM..

Or find the gauge in the GAUGEPC12EADI cab file, in the Gauges folder of Prepar3D :happy:

Bert

3 hours ago, J35OE said:

The real PC12 actually has a more advanced AoA system installed..

From the factory documentation:

The Bendix King Electronic Flight Instrumentation System (EFIS) is an electronic navigation display system. The system receives data from the AHRS, angle of attack and navigation systems. The data is displayed to the pilot on two multimode color displays.

Speed Pointer: The speed pointer on the LH side of the display is
controlled by the AOA system and is visible at all times.
AN is displayed to indicate that pointer is referenced to the angular system.

Bert

@Bert Pieke

The PC-12 AoA system works like most AoA systems, which means that it is actually rather simple, as it consists of just 2 AoA vanes and it takes the flap position and torque into account. 

The point is that it works only as a Fast / Slow indicator within the above mentioned speed range and it doesn't provide any AoA info.