Sign in to follow this  
larshall

Could Terrorists Hack an Airplane? The Government Can!

Well, the 757 does have an FMC, not to mention other computers on board. She's not fly by wire, but it may be possible to feed false data to systems or navigation. Understandably, the public haven't been told what was hacked into. Mind you this can only happen when the systems are powered. Unless the hacker can physically flick the switch for the batteries or have ground power connected, then any cold & dark planes are unaffected. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

12 hours ago, larshall said:

Could Terrorists Hack an Airplane?

Harold Finch did. Starts at 2:02.

I saw it done on Hawaii 50. It must be true.

NAX669.png

According to a news report a few years ago, Goggle "Avionics hacked" for full story.

"A cybersecurity consultant told the FBI he hacked into computer systems aboard airliners up to 20 times and managed to control an aircraft engine during a flight, according to federal court documents."

Well, there's some interesting conspiracy theories about these US Navy ships and their navigation systems all of a sudden, so...who knows?

Ian S

38.jpg

4 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

According to a news report a few years ago, Goggle "Avionics hacked" for full story.

"A cybersecurity consultant told the FBI he hacked into computer systems aboard airliners up to 20 times and managed to control an aircraft engine during a flight, according to federal court documents."

Is there any primary source for all of this?

348280630_a6bd1a4fa7_z.jpg?zz=1

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think most technical civilian infrastructure (that needs to be) is protected from casual mischief, simple idiocy, and even moderately sophisticated hacking in places like the banking sector and for certain corporate data, but history (and headlines) shows significant vulnerability against skilled and determined hackers, especially of the state sponsored variety.......

Heck, our own government wants backdoors in phones and other things, which means others can get in as well, using the exact same means.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/14/technology/windows-exploits-shadow-brokers/index.html

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I think most technical civilian infrastructure (that needs to be) is protected

I admire your optimism. Security is at best an afterthought in a lot of internet-facing infrastructure; for things designed years before it's not even on the radar.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

I admire your optimism. Security is at best an afterthought in a lot of internet-facing infrastructure; for things designed years before it's not even on the radar.

Cheers!

I was trying not to appear as cynical as I actually am about this. :uwe_melk:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think that all 'licenced' drone operators should be given this ability, to divert airliners - to avoid their drone being damaged....

That would certainly reduce complaints from these moaning pilots..:dry:

Regards

Bill

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillCusick said:

I think that all 'licenced' drone operators should be given this ability, to divert airliners - to avoid their drone being damaged....

That would certainly reduce complaints from these moaning pilots..:dry:

Regards

Bill

AVSIM needs a "snark" tag or icon... :tongue:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator