Sign in to follow this  
Mark Hoppus

FSX Eating my disk space when playing

Hi there,

I'm quite new here, but, I decided to create an account since I'm not being able to solve an issue, and it seems to be that there's nonthing about it out there.

Easy question: how to deal with all the disk space that FSX (Steam Eadition) start consuming once you start playing? I believe that it's related to replay's matter, but I cannot see anything where I can configure it. I mean, something like: please donot record more than 100 seconds (that you may use in the future by clicking replay)...

That is cosuming the very few free space that I've got on my SSD, and once it's consumed, FSX starts triggering errors. I'm talking about more than 2 gigas being consumed once I start flying.

Any idea about how to control this?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Best.

FSX reserves around 4 GB of memory for use. So if you have 2 GB of RAM, part of these 4 GB is stored there while the rest of the reserved memory is stored in Windows' page file. If you have 4 GB of RAM, the majority of FSX' reserved memory is stored there while the rest of the data is again stored in the page file (keep memory requirements for system processes and other programs in mind). 8 GB of RAM and up are no problem anymore since all of FSX' reserved memory is able to fit in there.

If you want to reduce FSX' memory usage, you need to reduce the amount of add-ons run by the simulator.

If you have more than 4 GB RAM, check if there are any other add-ons or programs running that create log files or otherwise consume memory that might end up in the page file.

Or try to move the page file to another drive or partition. See here: https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

21 hours ago, Mark Hoppus said:

Hi there,

I'm quite new here, but, I decided to create an account since I'm not being able to solve an issue, and it seems to be that there's nonthing about it out there.

Easy question: how to deal with all the disk space that FSX (Steam Eadition) start consuming once you start playing? I believe that it's related to replay's matter, but I cannot see anything where I can configure it. I mean, something like: please donot record more than 100 seconds (that you may use in the future by clicking replay)...

That is cosuming the very few free space that I've got on my SSD, and once it's consumed, FSX starts triggering errors. I'm talking about more than 2 gigas being consumed once I start flying.

Any idea about how to control this?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Best.

Bjoern is on the right path.
But, how about you provide more details of your computer:
1-What Windows are you using, Windows 7 or Windows 10?
2- Is your Windows 32 or 64 Bit?
3-What is your video card, model and amount of memory?
4-How many HD do you have on your computer, size and free space?
At the moment there is only certainty that you have very little RAM memory, critical.

I am not an admin in this forum, but here there is a rule, where always at the end of the message we should put full name.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

22 minutes ago, Dumont said:

I am not an admin in this forum, but here there is a rule, where always at the end of the message we should put full name.

João Alfredo

That 'rule' only applies to the PMDG forum, which is moderated by PMDG themselves. In all other forums it is entirely optional. :cool:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

FSX reserves around 4 GB of memory for use. So if you have 2 GB of RAM, part of these 4 GB is stored there while the rest of the reserved memory is stored in Windows' page file. If you have 4 GB of RAM, the majority of FSX' reserved memory is stored there while the rest of the data is again stored in the page file (keep memory requirements for system processes and other programs in mind). 8 GB of RAM and up are no problem anymore since all of FSX' reserved memory is able to fit in there.

That's not correct. Windows will only allocate space in the page file if the memory is being used by a process, and then forced out by memory pressure (and then only if the memory is used for data; EXEs and DLLs are never written to the page file). The fact that a process may have a 2-4GB address space doesn't mean the memory has been allocated, and if it hasn't been allocated it hasn't been paged out.

I'm running 68 processes right now. 12 are 32-bit, and the other are 64-bit (which get a 7TB virtual address space). I've got just under 400TB of virtual address space, but since 99.99% of it hasn't been allocated my pagefile usage is zero (and I still have 24GB of my 32GB free).

To the original poster, I'd start tracking down what is eating up the disk space. I'd be surprised if it was the page file.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I think I have the same problem sometimes as the OP. If I start a flight and finish it I need to reboot FSX I use a couple of addons which make use of FSUIPC and think that because of this there is a lot of memory being used. Nevertheless Im surprised by this (Im not a pc guru). So after all flights I reboot all programs. My PC specs are not low IMHO:

Win 7 64 bit
32 GB Ram
Processor: i& 4930K 3.4 GHZ

Video card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I use to TV screens connected by HDMI to this card.

I have a SSD of 100 GB and run windows on this disc I have a dedicated HD for flight simming which is not SSD but has 749GB space at the moment only 491 is being used. 

I would espect not to have any problem but still sometimes i have issues. So im eager to follow this thread and if anybody could give me some nice recommendations feel free to give them to me

Thanks in advance,

Raymond Gilbers

I would guess that you have your system restore setting set to save often and to save the amount of space you have it set for. Check your system restore setting in your control panel.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

On 20/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, Bjoern said:

If you want to reduce FSX' memory usage, you need to reduce the amount of add-ons run by the simulator.

If you have more than 4 GB RAM, check if there are any other add-ons or programs running that create log files or otherwise consume memory that might end up in the page file.

Or try to move the page file to another drive or partition. See here: https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/

On 20/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, Dumont said:

Bjoern is on the right path.
But, how about you provide more details of your computer:
1-What Windows are you using, Windows 7 or Windows 10?
2- Is your Windows 32 or 64 Bit?
3-What is your video card, model and amount of memory?
4-How many HD do you have on your computer, size and free space?
At the moment there is only certainty that you have very little RAM memory, critical.

João Alfredo

On 20/11/2017 at 6:49 PM, Luke said:

That's not correct. Windows will only allocate space in the page file if the memory is being used by a process, and then forced out by memory pressure (and then only if the memory is used for data; EXEs and DLLs are never written to the page file). The fact that a process may have a 2-4GB address space doesn't mean the memory has been allocated, and if it hasn't been allocated it hasn't been paged out.

I'm running 68 processes right now. 12 are 32-bit, and the other are 64-bit (which get a 7TB virtual address space). I've got just under 400TB of virtual address space, but since 99.99% of it hasn't been allocated my pagefile usage is zero (and I still have 24GB of my 32GB free).

To the original poster, I'd start tracking down what is eating up the disk space. I'd be surprised if it was the page file.

Cheers!

Luke

On 20/11/2017 at 7:11 PM, Raymond Gilbers said:

I think I have the same problem sometimes as the OP. If I start a flight and finish it I need to reboot FSX I use a couple of addons which make use of FSUIPC and think that because of this there is a lot of memory being used. Nevertheless Im surprised by this (Im not a pc guru). So after all flights I reboot all programs. My PC specs are not low IMHO:

Win 7 64 bit
32 GB Ram
Processor: i& 4930K 3.4 GHZ

Video card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I use to TV screens connected by HDMI to this card.

I have a SSD of 100 GB and run windows on this disc I have a dedicated HD for flight simming which is not SSD but has 749GB space at the moment only 491 is being used. 

I would espect not to have any problem but still sometimes i have issues. So im eager to follow this thread and if anybody could give me some nice recommendations feel free to give them to me

Thanks in advance,

Raymond Gilbers

On 21/11/2017 at 1:30 AM, Vineguy said:

I would guess that you have your system restore setting set to save often and to save the amount of space you have it set for. Check your system restore setting in your control panel.

Thanks everybody for your replies! First of all, apologies for my late response, I'm brand new here, and I supposed that when "notify me of replies" were on, I'd receive an email (and taking into account that the open of the toppic itself was pending of apporval of one moderator).

Said that, my pc, Win 10, I7 HQ 7º generation, 16 gb ram, I SSD with very few free space, and another one 7200 RPM with free space.

I suppose that if I hadn't enough memory, it would need more hd space...but it's not the case...

Again, thank you for your time.

• Upvote 1