Sign in to follow this  
LegallyCynical

How to stay on taxiway centerline?

I've been flying the PMDG 737-800 for quite some time now, and I've never been able to keep my gear aligned with the centerlines when I taxi, it always seems to drift, and makes parking a real pain in the butt. Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can use to keep my plane on the centerline? I use my joystick to taxi (I'm pretty sure I use the Rudder axis), and my speed is usually from 15-20 knots when taxing, and slower when parking. 

Do you use separated throttles for both engines?  And are they synchronised?  Same thrust output?  

Other option is to check if your rudder is not spiking and/or not centered, using a greater null-zone can help.  Calibrating your hardware is also an option.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, headley said:

Do you use separated throttles for both engines?  And are they synchronised?  Same thrust output?  

Other option is to check if your rudder is not spiking and/or not centered, using a greater null-zone can help.  Calibrating your hardware is also an option.

I'll try adjusting the Null Zone, and recalibrating but my engines are outputting the same thrust, and the throttles are synchronized.

Actually there's an argument for being slightly off the centreline if you don't want your passengers to be feeling those bumps. However, if you insist, this might help, it is for a 727 rather than a 737, but since the 727, 737 and 707 have essentially the same cockpit, it will work for the nose gear location alignment when sat in the pilot's seat:

KE3VBht.png

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I had an instructor tell me to keep the yellow line between my knees..., I never forgot that advice.  Even in a wide body you'll be keeping it under your right kneecap.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, LegallyCynical said:

it always seems to drift      <=>         I'm pretty sure I use the Rudder axis

I think OP's problem is rather hardware related other than where the - yellow - centerline has to be :cool: ...

Just now, headley said:

I think OP's problem is rather hardware related other than where the - yellow - centerline has to be :cool: ...

I think its a mix of both. It might just be my crappy joystick. I use the Logitech 3D Pro, and when doing the calibration, the Z axis would flicker to the left a bit.

Also keep an eye on the wind. There's a heckuva big sail on the back of the plane which can cause wonky taxying when the wind is blowing a bit.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

The biggest problem for me is unequal thrust. in this sim that will get you drifting quickly. make sure you set N1 to exactly the same value on both engines while the long taxi.