Sign in to follow this  
AlphaIndiaRomeo

Alternative to SBuilderX?

Hi everyone,

I am getting into scenery designing and truly want to start with London (CYXU) airport in Ontario, Canada. I want to develop this scenery for Prepar3D V4 and from the forum posts I have read as well as the YouTube videos I have watched, the first step in making a scenery should be to establish the ground textures which I would want them to be photoreal. 

Now, using SBuilderX, I cannot take the whole selection of the scenery and add map from background as it is too big. I started taking small tiles but up to a certain point, SBuilderX won't do the image for some reason (See 2nd picture below)

Untitled_2.jpg

Now, is there a good alternative to using SBuilderX to get photoreal tiles? If not using photoreal, how could I get started with building this scenery? I can't believe that the FlightBeam, FlyTampa and ORBX of this world are using SBuilderX from time to time for P3Dv4...

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

AlphaIndiaRomeo

Frederick

I doubt the pro scenery devs use SBuilderX for many things. For one thing they would need to license it for commercial work. Mostly likely they work directly with the SDK tools plus GIS tools and they purchase commercial orthoimagery unless there's high-res public domain products available (sometime available on a government website). In the USA there's a lot of public domain material available through USGS and there may be something similar in Canada. You might find this video helpful:

https://youtu.be/qekwm6-DMs4

I suggest following up at fsdeveloper.com

Barry Friedman

Try FSEarth Tiles. I've been using it to create photo scenery for Newfoundland and it's working really nice. Looking forward to seeing London, btw. I live in Toronto.

Intel I7 6700k @ 4ghz, nVidia 3070ti 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 @ 1066mhz,  500 ssd, 2tb hdd, 2tb ssd, ASUS z170-E mb, Samsung 24" @ 1920x1080, P3D 5.4, MSFS

Luis Sa has created a new version. SBuilderX315. it is updated to deal with issues created by Windows 10, and it is compiled with the latest version of VB.net. This also solves some issues with memory. It is useful for Windows & and above. Windows XP users will need to use an earlier version.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

Dick