Sign in to follow this  
socom15

Error ID = 28 after fresh install of windows and FSX

So I was having issues with my computer and FSX (display resolution error), not to mention a hardware failure, decided to run a fresh copy of windows on a new drive, thus a fresh install of FSX. Part of the way through the install, FSX gives me "Error ID = 28 Unable to install message filter". it looks like FSX has loaded to the computer, so I try it from the program list. I get the same error, FSX will not start. 

I have looked up resolutions on the net for this and I have yet to find anything that leads to a fix. Any help would be great as I have no idea what more I can do. 

What did you install?  Just FSX?  SP1? SP2? Acceleration?

As you have probably seen, this error has been seen on Steam using FSX-SE.  No one has a solution except one person resolved it by disabling a LavasoftTCPService.dll via the Task Manager.  It has nothing to do with FSX.  Just more confusion.  Error 28 and the error message have been discussed back to 2006 so it is not a new error but I have never seen it.  It is a rare occurance.  When FSX does not start up, it means Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 is not installed.  It is needed for FSX to run.  The FSX installation program installs it if not already installed but something might have happened to cause it not to install.  You should have Microsoft.net 1.1 or 2.0 installed (see C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework).  You need the 32 bit version (x86 is in the file name).  The 64 bit version can be installed but it will never ever be used by anything on your computer as it is so old.

Did you go into the FSX.exe properties and make sure FSX was compatible for ALL users, not just you?  Right click FSX.exe, click on Properties, then Compatibility tab and look all the way down and make sure it says for ALL Users, not just you.

FSX will also not start up if you have a dll.xml (in the same folder as your FSX.cfg) that is corrupted or is trying to load missing or corrupted files.

The Event Viewer might also show what might have caused the crash or "event".  Open up the Event Viewer and click on Custom Views/Administrative Events.  This will then show you all of the events surrounding the crash. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Currently I just have FSX installed. no SP's or Acceleration. I'll start working down the list of the items you have suggested above and report back. 

Just for giggles, I tried to install Acceleration. Got the Error  "system security did not initialized. Please visit one of the support web sites listed in the manual".

This is the error that keeps repeating. This must be the DLL that your talking about that is corrupt?

fsx.exe

44fd0a92

API.DLL

44fd0f33

c0000005

00072c5b

ee8

01d3619d2fa48826

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL

78e06cc8-cd90-11e7-bf80-309c233f8441

I also have 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727 installed in the framework folder. 

I also have made it so that FSX is under full control for every user.

The only thing in my FSX folder (the one with the FSX.CFG) is just the DLL.XML, nothing else.

The API.dll is used to run FSX.  If it crashes, then you have something seriously wrong with the installation of FSX.

You must have an addon installed if you have a dll.xml.  A dll.xml is not installed by default.  If you have an addon made for Acceleration (DX10 Technology), FSX will crash.  When you install Acceleration, you need to right click the setup.exe and select Run as Administrator.  Windows hates people who try to hide their identity.  They want to know you really want to install this and not some evil person who visited your house or broke into your computer.  They are just saving you from mean people.

If Acceleration will not install, then you can go on the Internet and look for FSX SP1 and FSX SP2.  SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration.  SP1 must be installed first though.  SP1 comes with the Acceleration program and installed before Acceleration. 

This is an excellent guide for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX - https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok, followed the instructions to the letter, still have the dll.xml and still have the error 28.....

I think you need to download the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see link in my signature).  The FSX.cfg is located in a hidden folder and so is the dll.xml in the same folder.  You should delete or rename the dll.xml to dll.xml.off or just delete the whole folder.  The dll.xml is not a default file, so, if you uninstalled and deleted this hidden folder and the hidden folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, and then reinstalled FSX, you would not have files that do not belong in your installation.

Once you uninstall, you delete the hidden folders as they will not be deleted when you uninstall FSX.  You could also do a repair of FSX by deleting the hidden folders, running the FSX Setup program, and selecting repair.  It will repair your installation.  Now FSX should start and you will then want in install Acceleration.

Not your fault as Microsoft made the uninstall of FSX miserable for everyone.  The installers of today, 10 years later, work better but too late for FSX.

Submit News to AVSIM

ok, ran the repair for FSX, havnt even ran the sim yet and the DLL is there. I even installed FSXSE and the DLL is in that file as well. I deleted the file and I have changed the name of the file as well as the xml.... i dont understand why this keeps popping up. The error is now popping up when I install FSX. There has been no Add-ons added, the only software installed on this computer prior to FSX being installed were the drivers. Should i try loading this in Safe mode or something? I am at a loss here. 

FSX will not load in Safe Mode.  I'm afraid I have run out of ideas.  You need to find someone who can go into your computer and try to find out what's wrong.  That's not my forte'.  Sorry my suggestions did not work.  Good luck finding a fix.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM