Sign in to follow this  
captain420

fullscreen mode vs "windowed" full screen mode - settings

For those of you who are running P3D v4.1 in windowed mode... what do you set your graphic settings to as far as VSYNC on/off and Triple Buffering on/off?

For windowed mode should vsync be on or off, or it doesn't matter? I notice that my fps is higher with both vsync and triple buffering off.

And also I noticed that 8xMSAA is better on performance than 4xSSAA.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think Aaron that u have wrong priorities - u should chase smoothness and fluidity rather than fps.

The best advice is to switch fps counter OFF, and just follow ur sense, which settings give u the most fluid simming.

I found fps counter as distracting and annoying.  

• Upvote 1

Artur 

30 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I think Aaron that u have wrong priorities - u should chase smoothness and fluidity rather than fps.

The best advice is to switch fps counter OFF, and just follow ur sense, which settings give u the most fluid simming.

I found fps counter as distracting and annoying.  

yep  i always  wonder  why users  chase  fps  for, its like   chasing  your  tail around  in circles

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Afaik P3D ALWAYS runs in windowed mode or as they call it a pseudo fullscreen mode...? So settings shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway, it's logical that fps is higher with vsync off: with vsync on the sim tries to sync to your monitor refresh rate and hence it usually loses some fps. This can easily be seen when you use a sim that offers high fps, like Aerofly FS 2: without Vsync fps can be between 100 to 700 but as soon as I turn on Vsync fps is limited to 60 (the refresh rate of my monitor). When fps is lower than your refresh rate differences will be different but usually vsync costs a few frames. But as the others said already, in the end the question shouldn't be 'How can I get higher fps' but 'How can I get a smooth performance without tearing'.

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

And also I noticed that 8xMSAA is better on performance than 4xSSAA.

Er... yes...? That's because MSAA offers a lower quality than SSAA so this is to be expected.