Sign in to follow this  
Tims Sim

No Vectors / Approach Speed

Hi,

The 'No Vectors' approach is not working for me, just wondering if this is unique to me?

There are some approaches where vectoring does not work (even with terrain awareness), Samos, Innsbruck, Klagenfurt for example. Also, there are often a variety of approach types at certain airports which I like to try for variety, I have always used VOXATC in 'no vector' mode and it has worked very well, however I have not been able to get version 7 to work

I have tried several approaches with No Vectors selected, it is not working at all. I am assigned the STAR and then immediately vectored.

The work around is to tune to the tower and announce that your on runway 'X', that way you bypass the vectors, but this is not how it used to work and is not ideal.

In addition, something I have noticed, which I am sure is a new feature, is the instruction to slow to 200kts. I understand that in heavy traffic this is sensible/needed but, it happens on almost every approach even with virtually no other traffic, often when still 30 miles or more from landing. In my judgement this is just too far out. One would be at flap 1 (B737) at roughly 10 miles out which is a speed of around 180kts, configuring for landing as one progresses.

In version 6 I am certain the request was to slow to 180kts but it was much closer to the final approach and, provided you started to slow down, VOXATC did not ‘nag’ you to get to 180.  Even though I begin to slow to 200kts, VOXATC constantly nags me to slow to 200. I think if the instruction to slow was at say 14 miles that would make a lot more sense and make the approach a lot less tedious and provided one starts to slow to 200 VOXATC should stop its nagging, unless the instruction is preceded with 'immediately'! This does not always happen, I'd say one in three flights.

I have reported these issues to Tegwyn, via RC Simulations and direct email, but have had no reply.

Overall I find VOX to be working well, if the above could be resolved that would be great. I'd just then like 'expert mode' to be fixed. :ohmy:

Thanks and regards

Dave

I can't speak to the vectors issue, but the slow to 200 kts is based on an FAA rule that states 200 kts is the top speed in Class B or C controlled airspace.

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the info. I only fly in Europe so I guess it's not subject to FAA rules, I'll see what I can find out, but I'm not aware of this being a rule.

Regards

Dave

It make take you awhile to find out what the answer is. ICAO has recommended airspeed limitations contained in some of their airspace definitions but it's up to each individual country to set its own policy.