Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Problem with Saitek pedal sensitivity.

My rudder pedals are the standard issue Saitek and no adjustment(s) in XP11 seem to help subdue their sensitivity.  Two glaring problems in Xplane certainly don't help - the entire longitudinal fuselage moves with the slightest rudder input and there's no way to create a null zone.  A real rudder gives some inflight roll along with yaw and you can get that using XP trim but, on the ground with my pedals, it's instant zig zag (squeal) and pray for liftoff .  Anyone discovered a fix for this? 

Hi,

what versione are you using? The latest beta 8 (released just a couple of days ago) has a fix that should improve somewhat ground handling in yaw.

That being said, the advice is to set the "Control Sensitivity" -> "Control Response" to 100% for Yaw, that should give finer control when pedals are close to the center.

Finally, you can modify the null-zone of your pedals doing a manual edit of the file: "X-Plane 11\Output\preferences\X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf".

First of all, identify the joystick axis corresponding to your pedals. If you assigned them to yaw control, look for the "_joy_AXIS_use" entry followed by number 3, for example: "_joy_AXIS_use27 3" means that the 27th axis is assigned to yaw.

Then, look for the corresponding "_joy_null" entry, in this case "_joy_null27", and increase the following number to increase the null zone, for example change from "_joy_null27 0.000000" to _joy_null27 0.100000" to give it a 10% null zone.

Don't use too large a null zone or you could make control worse though, probably 5% (0.05) or so should be enough.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Just starting out with XP so am avoiding betas.  10% works fine though the "3" fell on axis 52 for me.

Thanks for the info,what about left and right pedal for the brakes? mine need a null zone.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Well, you have to identify the joystick axes corresponding to your brakes (in the "X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf" file) and increase the null zone as explained.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

20 hours ago, Murmur said:

axis corresponding to your pedals

Would this apply to all functions (L & R Toe and yaw) of your pedals or just yaw?  If I have pedals, are they always 3?

The 3 on mine refer back to 75 and it is currently (default) 0.008333

Thanks,

John

John Wingold

"3" should be the yaw axis, i.e. the rudder control. Left and Right Toe brakes should each have another number, but I don't know which one.

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

I don't know which one.

That's my problem.  Some of the controllers have their assignments spelled out (very few) but I found nothing for yaw or toe brakes.  I use Saitek for the yoke and throttle quadrants, but CH Products for pedals.  The Saiteks seem to be the only ones spelled out.

Thanks,

John

John Wingold

2 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

That's my problem.  Some of the controllers have their assignments spelled out (very few) but I found nothing for yaw or toe brakes.  I use Saitek for the yoke and throttle quadrants, but CH Products for pedals.  The Saiteks seem to be the only ones spelled out.

Thanks,

John

Ok, just experimented with it, left toe brake corresponds to number "6", and right toe brake to number "7". So if you have for example:

"_joy_AXIS_use98 6"

"_joy_AXIS_use99 7"

then axes 98 and 99 are the toebrakes, so in my hypothetical case you should increase "_joy_null98" and "_joy_null99" to increase the null zone.

6 hours ago, Murmur said:

just experimented with it

Thanks Murmur...  I think this is twice this week that you have come to my rescue!

John

UPDATE - This lead me to 75 for yaw, 76 for right toe, and 77 for left toe.  Seems logical as they are together and for the same controller.  I need to do a little more work because it resulted (with the 0.05 setting) in the engine osculating between low and high RPMs.  No throttle animation.  Set them back and all is okay. Anyway, thanks for your help as I now have a new toy with which to play.  I always keep a Copy A and a Copy B to step through the betas, so it wouldn't have hurt anything if it could not be corrected.... but I could.:biggrin:

John Wingold