Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Aerofly FS2 vs P3D v4.1

I've seen the news that Aerofly FS2 has just been released. Having flown mostly in FSX, P3D and X-Plane, I am curious to know how it compares? How are the graphics compared to P3D? Is Aerofly FS2 more of a flight simcade than a full blown simulator? Is it more along the lines of Dovetail's FSW?

I'm looking for an alternative to P3D, something where I can quickly set up and fly, without having to worry too much about flight planning etc. Something a bit more casual. Is Aerofly FS2 the sim for me?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If you have this one you will notice a much quicker load time, easier interface and very high res scenery with phenomenal frame rates. Recipe for casual flights! Downside at the moment is limited world coverage but that will come in time. 

2 minutes ago, AOB said:

will come in time. 

Yes but at current development rates that "time" will be towards the heat death of the universe, to cover the entire planet.

Ian R Tyldesley

The original brief for Aerofly was essentially that it would concentrate on the USA and Europe. Fortunately, the tools are becoming more available and powerful by the week for any user/hobbyist  to create the scenery of their dreams, largely as an automated process...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Now, is 4 days that I have aerofly on mine computer and wotanUK resume it perfectly and I have a dream for p3dv4... to have the same for some landschapes, fps and timings.

but...

29 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

If you have this one you will notice a much quicker load time, easier interface and very high res scenery with phenomenal frame rates. Recipe for casual flights! Downside at the moment is limited world coverage but that will come in time. 

... but

the airplanes are very basic and I want a beter aircraft to fly. At this level it is more a game "very well done with eyecandies aircrafts and sceneries" that a flight simulator.

Just to be correct that "flying models" are more realist vs fsx and p3d.

The best to fly and more complete on this sim are learjet and q400.

I really hope it's not just aimed for just the US and Europe only... I really hope there will be Asia as well. All in all I'm excited to read up about AeroFly FS2, seems like it will be a great addition for casual flyers. Hope we will be able to fly with an Xbox controller from our bed or couch and enjoy the beautiful eye candy.

I assume Aerofly FS2 and Dovetail FSW are both in the same level? Both are casual simcades and not actual simulators?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Oh I forget... With aerofly, the installation is very easy and upgrades are done by steam without to be boring as in p3d.

20 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I really hope it's not just aimed for just the US and Europe only... I really hope there will be Asia as well.

As I said, people who are interested in any area can simply download the orthos, and use cultivation...... If there is enough interest, somebody somewhere will do it.

Orbx has announced PNW and the netherlands.

And I have already seen at least one user experiment with Japan and Australia, to give an idea what's possible......

And there is also Robin Corns NZ scenery experiment in progress.... (he has only placed a few trees etc to get an idea of how AF works)

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wow, that is simply amazing. So it's like an official tool for Aerofly FS2 to create our own photoscenery? Kind of like Ortho4XP for X-Plane? Will this be an official tool thats included with AeroFLY FS2 or is this a 3rd party thing?

Actually there are two tools, one (Geoconvert) comparable to Ortho4XP and one (Cultivation) comparable two World2XP. Both are accesible not to novices, but to somewhat experienced users. I already used Geoconvert and I think I can master the Cultivation tool, too.

There are also tools for airport creation, but these are more elaborate, as far as I know.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

I assume Aerofly FS2 and Dovetail FSW are both in the same level? Both are casual simcades and not actual simulators?

I do not think FSW is a casual sim as it is a 64 bit incarnation of FSX only more up to date and better in some ways. FSW is also only GA too at the moment but aimed at being a sim as it is a child of DTG FlightSchool. I have FSW, FSX and AFS2 and AFS2 is definately the different one. 

• Upvote 1

Aerofly FS2 is unfinished in a sense that it does not have a real weather system and only a few selected areas to fly in. They have a long way to go to make me interested, since especially weather is such a huge part of flying.

But I am sure they will cut out a niche market for themselves. 

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Dovetail's FSW is in no way an arcade simulation, it has, for example, a slightly better flight model than P3D (because it has A2A's Accufeel built into it), it's got better weather than P3D by default too, although it's still awaiting realtime weather as a default, but then again, so is P3D. It has Orbx scenery by default and the lighting system, whilst it needs work, is superior to most other sim offerings, as is its texturing display capabilities. Airliners have shown up in its AI today too following a patch. It's still got a long way to go, but potentially it's going to be a far better flight simulator than P3D and it is certainly an advance on FSX-SE.

Aerofly FS2 is quite a nice simulator, in some respects it flies better than other sims, for example if will replicate a spin better than you typically see in P3D or FSX, but in other respects the flight model can seem a bit lacking. It undeniably gets better frame rates than any other flight sim out there, and in areas where there is photorealistic terrain, it looks great, but it still feels a bit dead with no AI flying around and not much in the way of ATC. It is still buggy too, for example, I selected V-Sync in the options and now it won't fire up, it crashes when you try to do so, which is not a good sign. Having said that, I'm sure it will be fixed, and if they got some AI and ATC in there, it could have real potential.

If you like flight sims, both FSW and FS2 are definitely worth having.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, captain420 said:

I've seen the news that Aerofly FS2 has just been released. Having flown mostly in FSX, P3D and X-Plane, I am curious to know how it compares? How are the graphics compared to P3D? Is Aerofly FS2 more of a flight simcade than a full blown simulator? Is it more along the lines of Dovetail's FSW?

I'm looking for an alternative to P3D, something where I can quickly set up and fly, without having to worry too much about flight planning etc. Something a bit more casual. Is Aerofly FS2 the sim for me?

I had AFS2 some months ago and i refund it in steam, i bought it mainly because as native VR support, but what i found at that time was an incomplete product compared to X-plane or P3D, a lot of things missing(atc, ai, partial aviation systems simulated, no weather system, small map coverage, etc) although i think as a great potential, still needs to take some good steps until become a true simulator. Meanwhile i think things have evolved, at least in terms of map coverage, but still needs a lot of things to become something that can be compared with P3D. In my opinion!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

29 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

but what i found at that time was an incomplete product compared to X-plane or P3D

Which is pretty much about what one should expect, when comparing a sim still in early access at the time against sims with decades-old histories, versions in the double digits, and years of third party support. 

I myself went into it expecting to see a developing product, and mostly excited that somebody was finally breaking the chains of MS tech and striking out to do something different and modern. As long as they are moving forward, I'm along for the ride. :emu_melk:

55 minutes ago, Chock said:

It is still buggy too, for example, I selected V-Sync in the options and now it won't fire up, it crashes when you try to do so, which is not a good sign. Having said that, I'm sure it will be fixed, and if they got some AI and ATC in there, it could have real potential.

Under the circumstances described, and the lack of reports of the same happening in the wild, I would be more likely to suspect corruption in your installation or a problem on your machine, and would have Steam verify your files. As part of testing various configurations and working with Gsync, I turn the V-sync and framerates up and down many times a week with no issues. (Knock on wood)

• Upvote 1

Devons rig