Sign in to follow this  
RYR4303

Orbx and Default Lighting

I am curious as to if there is a way to turn off P3D's default lighting.

I recently purchased Orbx Global and vector and obviously installed the eye candy night lights however, the default prepar3d lighting makes the ground all bright and the sim looks unrealistic.

Any fixes to this would be appreciated. :)

You could turn off HDR to get rid of the orange washed out look on the roads, but that’s about it.

ORBX FTX Global overrides the P3D default lighting.  If anything, I always found the ORBX night tile texturing too dim!  Are you using PTA by chance? There is a setting where you can adjust those night textures but you should not be seeing default lighting if ORBX is installed properly.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

ORBX FTX Global overrides the P3D default lighting.  If anything, I always found the ORBX night tile texturing too dim!  Are you using PTA by chance? There is a setting where you can adjust those night textures but you should not be seeing default lighting if ORBX is installed properly.

Exactly..

If any thing you should see less night ground textures and more autogen lights through FTX global.

I found with FTX installed I needed to boost the ground texture lighting in PTA for more realistic results. Especially when flying the tube liners at high altitudes where the autogen buildings have disappeared. From 40,000ft I couldn’t see any cities in the distance at night. However with the PTA boost all the roads and highways turned into giant lava flows which killed it for me.

I have since copied and pasted back just the original night textures from P3D (those ending in LM) and changed the PTA urban lighting setting to off.

To me I have the best of both worlds now. ORBX by day and LM by night.

Perfect for me now especially using VR.

You can always download Orbx  free light program and adjust them. It's a good program. Link

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

You may also want to consider PTA, Prepar3d Tweak Assistant.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:38 PM, Iceman2 said:

Exactly..

If any thing you should see less night ground textures and more autogen lights through FTX global.

I found with FTX installed I needed to boost the ground texture lighting in PTA for more realistic results. Especially when flying the tube liners at high altitudes where the autogen buildings have disappeared. From 40,000ft I couldn’t see any cities in the distance at night. However with the PTA boost all the roads and highways turned into giant lava flows which killed it for me.

I have since copied and pasted back just the original night textures from P3D (those ending in LM) and changed the PTA urban lighting setting to off.

To me I have the best of both worlds now. ORBX by day and LM by night.

Perfect for me now especially using VR.

Sorry to dig out an old post. Do you remember what's the name of those night textures ? I'm trying to do the same !

Thanks

Eduardo

49 minutes ago, DuduGuimaraes said:

Sorry to dig out an old post. Do you remember what's the name of those night textures ? I'm trying to do the same !

Thanks

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,

All the night files are found in the main texture folder ending with the letters LM. (I just use the search function to filter out unwanted files then copy & past them into a folder of your choice. However you must do this before installing ORBX GLOBAL)

But since this post from 2017, I believe ORBX have altered their night textures and lava flow roads and I don’t need to copy back these original night textures. 

I still use a slight PTA night texture boost to increase the visibility of the cities and towns at night to my liking but there is definitely an improvement now since the birth of FTX Global.

Trust this helps

IM

• Upvote 1

Hello ! Thanks for the answer ! I’ve been trying to find them but there are a lot of files ending with lm. Do you recall their names ?

thanks

Eduardo

1 hour ago, DuduGuimaraes said:

Hello ! Thanks for the answer ! I’ve been trying to find them but there are a lot of files ending with lm. Do you recall their names ?

thanks

Eduardo

All the Texture Files ending in LM are the night textures.

Edited by Iceman2