Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Navigraph Charts vs Jeppview

I'm really liking the updated Navigraph Charts and how you can have your plane from your simulator lay on top of it. Makes flying a joy. However it's subscription based and there's no way to have all the charts downloaded offline onto your machine just incase your internet is unreliable. Now with Jeppview, it's a full DVD with all the latest charts, and doesn't require the internet to use.

I wish Navigraph would also offer their charts this way. I don't need to have the latest charts. I'm still using my nav cycle from 1706 without any problems whatsoever. 

I really like the UI of Navigraph, makes looking at charts much nicer and the flow of it all seems much more logical. Only if Jeppview has a nice UI like Navigraph, it would be almost perfect, or if Navigraph would offer a complete offline database of it's charts for users who don't need to have the latest updates would be great as well.

Does anyone here use Jeppview and can compare between the 2?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Nothing comes close to jeppesen  flightdeck  EFB . old but years ahead...

GPS connect with Fsuipc , real time , nav , with  plane position on charts , approach,,taxi  etc

Same has real....

I also thought you could download the charts using the Charts Desktop (or indeed iOS/Android) app -- it is only if you use the web-based chart viewer that you are obviously tied to the Internet.

I can't find the product you are referring to, but a DVD from Jeppesen themselves will a) very quickly go out of date and b) cost orders of magnitude more.

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up in case you're unaware - if you happen to live and fly in North America - FltPlan GO - has a fully functional (FSX/P3D/XP) EFB for (WIN/ANDROID/IOS) - that includes georeferenced approach plates and taxi diagrams - all for the low low low price of - completely FREE... It's worth a look if that suits your criteria...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

It is hard to beat Navigraph Charts.... I personally disable their SimConnect module because I have no use for linking my position to the chart; and it is true that you need a working internet to launch the application.  It does download the charts by location and these are kept local so you don't need to download on every session but it will not let you view the charts unless it can validate you as a user by 'calling home.'  As far as chart type, Jeppesen is good but I spent a lot of time learning LIDO and find many pros and cons for both of them.  I learned with FAA Charts and flew with them exclusively for decades so of course that is my 'baseline.' 

As far as VFR low level flying goes..., I will always select SkyVector.com and follow my flight the old fashioned way, using the radios and eyeballs.

Dan Downs KCRP

15 minutes ago, downscc said:

As far as chart type, Jeppesen is good but I spent a lot of time learning LIDO and find many pros and cons for both of them.  I learned with FAA Charts and flew with them exclusively for decades so of course that is my 'baseline.'

This discussion is of course all about personal preference (and indeed what one is used to) but I have to say I am really struggling with the Jepps. I've never been a huge fan and going to them from the Lidos (and the Aerads before that) seems like a huge backward step: some of the newer-format full-colour Jepps are slightly better than the old black and white ones but not a lot. Whilst the procedures themselves are clear enough, what I find the Jepps really lack is the bigger picture -- terrain awareness in particular. The new Navigraph Jepp enroute charts with the capability to draw one's route etc on them are better than the static Lidos before, but the terminal charts....

Like you, I don't use the "own ship" feature so I am very tempted to jump ship to Aerosoft NavDataPro to get my Lidos back!

What about http://www.simplates.com/   . Simplates UltraX

Some updating but if you're not interested in absolutely updated charts then it's a good option. 

I had it for my Google device for a long time.

However, I finally took the plunge and got the subscription out for AIRAC and Charts from Navigraph. Very happy I did and well worth it as you can have some confidence in the up to date aspect of the charts, AIRAC cycles etc. Works on and off line.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

3 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up in case you're unaware - if you happen to live and fly in North America - FltPlan GO - has a fully functional (FSX/P3D/XP) EFB for (WIN/ANDROID/IOS) - that includes georeferenced approach plates and taxi diagrams - all for the low low low price of - completely FREE... It's worth a look if that suits your criteria...

Regards,
Scott

Scott, this looks like it is for actual pilots flying real flight plans.

Can you walk me through a flight example with P3D?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

4 hours ago, charleslee201 said:

Nothing comes close to jeppesen  flightdeck  EFB . old but years ahead...

GPS connect with Fsuipc , real time , nav , with  plane position on charts , approach,,taxi  etc

Same has real....

I have Jeppesen FlightDeck on my iPad, but how can you make it connect to FSUIPC? I wasn't aware of this, could you please explain how?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Jeepview is the very good I have it.  It's also industry standard too.  It also has txt pages for China, mid East and Russia routings which, 99 per cent of vatsim users are clueless about 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Scott, this looks like it is for actual pilots flying real flight plans.

Can you walk me through a flight example with P3D?

Hi Jeff,

Yep - it is definitely a Real World EFB but they welcome Flight Sim guys as well... They make their money through relatively unobtrusive advertising on their web site... The site has been around for years and is favored by corporate pilots since it has many of the scheduling tools that cater to them... They’ve built in all the support in their mobile applications for all the sims I posted above... It’s a full moving map EFB comparable to ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot... I use it on all my IFR or VFR flights in the sim - I use Garmin Pilot for RW ops just because it has some features I prefer...

So - the other benefit to using this app and the FltPlan website - is they have performance profiles for just about every GA or BizJet out there - so you can get some fuel burns and times... The flight planner includes weather, best altitudes, and preferred ATC routing... I’ve used this for years with the sim even before they developed the EFB apps...

The final step for me in planning is to just copy and paste my flight plan into Little NavMap to generate the required flight sim files...

There is a small piece of software you need to load on your flightsim PC to facilitate communications between the two devices... Needs to be run as admin but setup is a breeze... Simply launch right before starting your sim... Your mobile device and flightsim PC need to be on the same WiFi network segment... 

Its the only source in the world that I know of that offers georeferenced approach plates for free...

One guy I spoke with on this was very concerned he might accidentally file a real flight plan - you can’t - unless you submit a request to FltPlan stating you need access to this feature...

It works fantastic with P3D and is the best thing since sliced bread - in my humble opinion... I’m sure it work equally well in the real world...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

4 hours ago, skelsey said:

This discussion is of course all about personal preference (and indeed what one is used to) but I have to say I am really struggling with the Jepps. I've never been a huge fan and going to them from the Lidos (and the Aerads before that) seems like a huge backward step: some of the newer-format full-colour Jepps are slightly better than the old black and white ones but not a lot. Whilst the procedures themselves are clear enough, what I find the Jepps really lack is the bigger picture -- terrain awareness in particular. The new Navigraph Jepp enroute charts with the capability to draw one's route etc on them are better than the static Lidos before, but the terminal charts....

Like you, I don't use the "own ship" feature so I am very tempted to jump ship to Aerosoft NavDataPro to get my Lidos back!

you cant just buy a jeppview dvd.  you have to pay for it by subscription.   each subscription also varies on which regions you have bought.  IE worldwide, basic, military etc etc.

Also If you actually have got a legit copy of jeppview (which I doubt the OP has) you dont need the DVD you could download by connecting upto the servers.  If you have one of the blacklisted jeppviews you have to rely on the monthly DVDs for charts, the enroute data will stay out of date.  

And then after that, you have to be a Jepps approved customer from either the UK or Denver or San Hose office.  They dont want any completely unqualified simmers using it and I dont blame them

One of My best mate works for jeppesen ITPS in crawley, and my airline is a jepps customer we deal with them quite alot for diverts if we cant get handling or fuel agreements.  Of the top of my head i think the basic Jeppview/360 subscription is 3000 GBP a year depending on how many licenses.  

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

One guy I spoke with on this was very concerned he might accidentally file a real flight plan - you can’t - unless you submit a request to FltPlan stating you need access to this feature...

It works fantastic with P3D and is the best thing since sliced bread - in my humble opinion... I’m sure it work equally well in the real world...

Regards,

Scott

Yes...that was my concern as well. I think I'll give this a try...thanks for the information Scott!

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5