Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Just Fried My CPU :-( Need Advice Please

Can't believe this - My i7 6700k died today:-(  No idea what caused it as the cooler seems fine.  Tested the CPU in another board and its definitely dead!  In all my years running Intel, this has never happened before.  It was overclocked, but only to 4.7MHz.

Question... Is there any point putting a Kabylake in instead of a direct Skylake replacement?

Anyone running a Kabylake in the Asus Z170 boards?  I assume they're compatible?

From what I've read so far, the differences are minimal, but thought I'd check it out on here.

Having to use an old PC.

Ugh sorry that happened!

id probably just get another 6700k

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 hours ago, Dougal said:

Can't believe this - My i7 6700k died today:-(  No idea what caused it as the cooler seems fine.  Tested the CPU in another board and its definitely dead!  In all my years running Intel, this has never happened before.  It was overclocked, but only to 4.7MHz.

Question... Is there any point putting a Kabylake in instead of a direct Skylake replacement?

Anyone running a Kabylake in the Asus Z170 boards?  I assume they're compatible?

From what I've read so far, the differences are minimal, but thought I'd check it out on here.

Having to use an old PC.

Sorry to hear that.

Kabylake are compatible with z170 mobos but i thing you need to update your bios

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

If i where you i would buy the new 8700k, but you need a mobo change for sure!

Oh, and check your cooling system before putting another cpu there ;)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Curious how long you've had the 6700k?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Shouldn't your CPU be under warranty from Intel?

Does'nt overclocking generally kill any warranty?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Mine also died at the same frequency.  I just called INTEL and they sent me a new processor.  They will say that you overclocked too much but will still approve a new one.  I bought a 7700k and have the 6700K in storage just in case something happens to this one also.

The replacement came with a new 3 year warranty so it turned out all good.  I limited my OC on the new 7700k to prevent this one from going bad also.

Sean Green

15 hours ago, Dougal said:

Having to use an old PC.

Oh poo! Sorry to hear that. CPU death is relatively rare. Only launched in 2015, so you should be still under warranty. Let Intel know and they will send you a new one. What was the voltage by the way?

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Does'nt overclocking generally kill any warranty?

Intel's Performance Tuning Plan is available. It's overclocking insurance for a pretty cheap price. I usually get it if not delidding. 

Intel have no idea from the CPU if you were overclocking or not. Sounds like they still honour warranty's though according to Sean. 

9 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Oh, and check your cooling system before putting another cpu there

A good idea but unlikely to be the cause of the failure. Intel CPUs have a thermal sensor which shuts down the CPU in the event of a serious over temp to prevent damage. 

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It was the pump on the water cooler (Corsair), but I don't understand why the CPU didn't throttle back.  Maybe it did but still blew anyway. The PC was doing nothing apart from downloading a file from steam when it died. I had 'Adaptive Voltage' set in the BIOS. The std vcore was 1.296v and adaptive offset would allow it up to 1.345v.  Stepping was 'enabled' so it was probably running at no more than 1500MHz and probably less than 1.10v

The CPU was de-lidded about 6 months ago, so I very much doubt Intel will replace it.  Will they want it back to check;-)

NOT a happy bunny:-(

I'm broke too. so nothing happening for now;-(

10 hours ago, somiller said:

Curious how long you've had the 6700k?

I think about 18-20 months only.

Normal temps after the de-lidding were just fantastic.  When ambient temps were low, it would sometimes idle as low as 20c and never go above 68c when loaded.

50 minutes ago, Dougal said:

The CPU was de-lidded about 6 months ago, so I very much doubt Intel will replace it.  Will they want it back to check;-)

You should try, maybe something changed, but a couple of years ago was ok "As long as the numbers on the IHS match with the number on the bottom of the chip PCB your in warranty".  http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide/21390#post_20679427

Also, i would recommend you this next time:

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

11 minutes ago, lodestar said:

You should try, maybe something changed, but a couple of years ago was ok "As long as the numbers on the IHS match with the number on the bottom of the chip PCB your in warranty".  http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide/21390#post_20679427

Also, i would recommend you this next time:

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Many thanks for the links - checking now...