Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Just Fried My CPU :-( Need Advice Please

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

A good idea but unlikely to be the cause of the failure. Intel CPUs have a thermal sensor which shuts down the CPU in the event of a serious over temp to prevent damage. 

I know that mate, and even before that the cpu throttle's down, but any cpu exposed to high temps for a long time can frie ;)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

I know that mate, and even before that the cpu throttle's down, but any cpu exposed to high temps for a long time can frie ;)

Theoretically, it wouldn't be exposed to a high temp for a long time though. It would throttle back and then shut down before damage ensures. That's how its designed. Clearly something has gone wrong in this case though. 

Wouldn't be deliding in terms of temp. As it approached TJ Max it would still throttle and then shut down prior to damage. 

And damage to the die would be evident straight away, not months or years later.

Only thing I can think of, if it was AIO pump failure, is that perhaps the increase in temp was so rapid that there wasn't enough time for the thermal protection to kick in. Of course I may be talking nonesense

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Wouldn't be deliding in terms of temp. As it approached TJ Max it would still throttle and then shut down prior to damage. 

And damage to the die would be evident straight away, not months or years later.

Only thing I can think of, if it was AIO pump failure, is that perhaps the increase in temp was so rapid that there wasn't enough time for the thermal protection to kick in. Of course I may be talking nonesense

I'm still dumbfounded as to why there's no visible damage or deforming of the die.  If it was heat that killed it, it must've been pretty darn hot! Also, why oh why did the CPU not shut itself off before cooking?!  I'm guessing there was already something wrong with it before the water pump died.

That's another thing too...  It's the 1st EVER coolant pump failure I had of any make or model.

Apart from the fact I'm still breathing, and here to complain about it (as many here know, that in itself is pretty remarkable), I've had a bum run of luck with my PC network over the last couple of years;-)

38 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I'm still dumbfounded as to why there's no visible damage or deforming of the die. 

There wouldn't be. Thermal damage is internal, not visible. 

Also, why oh why did the CPU not shut itself off before cooking?!  I'm guessing there was already something wrong with it before the water pump died.

I speculated that maybe the heat build up was so fast that the thermal protection didn't have enough time to trip. This is nonsense though, it doesn't work that way. There are a number of thermal monitors built in that should very quickly deal with the issue. In addition, thermal convection within the loop would still cool to a degree, so no instant heat build up possible. The thermal protection should have no issues. 

Possibly there was a CPU issue prior and when the CPU overheated and attempted to shut itself down it was the straw that broke the camels back. 

The CPU is dead, and the coolant pump is dead... has the motherboard been checked?  I'd be concerned that a rogue PSU could be responsible for all the damage.  Not convinced that the CPU and coolant pump dying at the same time is any kind of coincidence.

Good luck,

Greg

21 hours ago, lownslo said:

The CPU is dead, and the coolant pump is dead... has the motherboard been checked?  I'd be concerned that a rogue PSU could be responsible for all the damage.  Not convinced that the CPU and coolant pump dying at the same time is any kind of coincidence.

Good luck,

Greg

Oh shite of course.  It should have, but that never crossed my mind.  Any way to properly test the PSU without running the risk of another mobo or CPU?  Actually, i think i've got an old system i can check it with.

I'm guessing though, that all i can really do is test all the rails for correct voltage?

22 hours ago, lownslo said:

Good luck,

Greg

Very good point Greg. Have to say though, I've never heard of a PSU killing an AIO pump. 

22 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Oh shite of course.  It should have, but that never crossed my mind.  Any way to properly test the PSU without running the risk of another mobo or CPU?  Actually, i think i've got an old system i can check it with.

I'm guessing though, that all i can really do is test all the rails for correct voltage?

You can get a PSU tester cheap on Amazon. I have one. Always use it to test my PSU's before I build. 

Other option is a multi-meter. 

Ah ha!  My neighbour has a PSU tester;-)  Will get my hands on that tomorrow.....

REALLY missing my PC:-(

Good that you can borrow a PSU tester... hope it didn't nuke your parts but of course you already know that it's best to learn what happened now before placing new parts in the system.

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Have to say though, I've never heard of a PSU killing an AIO pump. 

Nor have I but a agree with your point earlier that even with a failed pump the transient coolant would offer some level of cooling until the CPU thermal throttling kicked in.

Greg

8 hours ago, lownslo said:

Good that you can borrow a PSU tester... hope it didn't nuke your parts but of course you already know that it's best to learn what happened now before placing new parts in the system.

Nor have I but a agree with your point earlier that even with a failed pump the transient coolant would offer some level of cooling until the CPU thermal throttling kicked in.

Greg

You could well be correct suggesting a PSU issue Greg. Most of the failures I've had over quite a few years now have been the PSU. Apart from one MB failure, which was quite a fascinating story that one. Had me running in rings before I finally diagnosed it. 

RAM = Once

MB = Once

Faulty cables = Twice

PSU = Four times. 

My water cooler pump stopped working once and it would not boot up.. the PC shuts down every time I  tried starting the PC. The ASUS MB would not let it run. I am not sure if its the MB or the CPU that senses the water cooler pump was not working.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter