Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Just Fried My CPU :-( Need Advice Please

46 minutes ago, Manny said:

My water cooler pump stopped working once and it would not boot up.. the PC shuts down every time I  tried starting the PC. The ASUS MB would not let it run. I am not sure if its the MB or the CPU that senses the water cooler pump was not working.

That indeed could be the problem. Maybe you have a faulty cooling system. This is a good theory.

spacer.png

On 28/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, Manny said:

My water cooler pump stopped working once and it would not boot up.. the PC shuts down every time I  tried starting the PC. The ASUS MB would not let it run. I am not sure if its the MB or the CPU that senses the water cooler pump was not working.

I recall that Asus motherboards, if the pump is connected to the dedicated pump header, detects no pump RPM and refuses to boot.

Not Dougal's issue though because he said he tested the CPU in another system and it was dead.  

Well this is getting damned expensive....

Seems the original fault probably started at the PSU.  Voltages are high and inconsistent (but only under load).  Some sort of regulation not working?

CPU definitely dead.

Water pump;  I can hear the pump in the Corsair cooler, but it 'seems' as though coolant is static. Temps rise VERY fast when using the cooler.

Motherboard; Seems ok so far which I find surprising.

I've put my trusty old Noctua NH-D15 air cooler on the new 7700k for now.  This works almost as well the 280mm Corsair rad anyway.  Just a little on the large side.

22 hours ago, Dougal said:

Water pump;  I can hear the pump in the Corsair cooler, but it 'seems' as though coolant is static. Temps rise VERY fast when using the cooler.

When you say very fast, how long - seconds, minutes? If there's still water in the cooler loop (I think you'd notice if it had leaked out), whilst it won't keep your CPU temperature down, it should slow the temperature rise. Was the TIM properly applied? What type did you use?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

23 hours ago, Dougal said:

Well this is getting damned expensive....

Seems the original fault probably started at the PSU.  Voltages are high and inconsistent 

How high? Spec for the 12v rail is +/- 10 %. Although top quality PSU's are around 5%.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

How high? Spec for the 12v rail is +/- 10 %. Although top quality PSU's are around 5%.

It's a Corsair PSU.  I think its still under warruntee

All rails seen to fluctuate up to about 20% when loaded.

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

When you say very fast, how long - seconds, minutes? If there's still water in the cooler loop (I think you'd notice if it had leaked out), whilst it won't keep your CPU temperature down, it should slow the temperature rise. Was the TIM properly applied? What type did you use?

About 10 seconds when applying 100% CPU loading.

I'm pretty good with hardware.  Use to build and sell systems some years ago..  Only ever use Noctua or other high spec compound.

3 hours ago, Dougal said:

It's a Corsair PSU.  I think its still under warruntee

All rails seen to fluctuate up to about 20% when loaded.

Yeah, that is a lot. I'd definitely RMA it. Don't risk using it. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Yeah, that is a lot. I'd definitely RMA it. Don't risk using it. 

I've blagged the other Corsair PSU from the other PC for now. Its only a 750W but I'm only running a single GTX970 video card so its fine for now...

New PSU installed today;-)

Can't say I'm super impressed with the 7700k.  Although it reaches 5GHz, even 5.2 (but not stable), and at lower vcore than my 6700k, it's a much hotter chip than the 6700k.

Stable at 4.9 but wound it back to 4.8GHz to keep it below 80c

Also now using 'Adaptive Voltage' with 'Speedstep' enabled.  Means frequency AND vcore is wound waaaaaaaay down when not being pushed hard.

Already thinking about de-lidding and a full custom loop just for fun;-)

Just need to find some dosh;-)

20 hours ago, Dougal said:

Already thinking about de-lidding and a full custom loop just for fun;-)

Just need to find some dosh;-)

I found delidding easy to be honest. Used the Die mate 2. Piece of cake. Don't think the Die Mate 2 is available at the moment though. It was at OCUK but now out of stock. 

Full custom loop would be fun Dougal. I fancy hard tubing to be honest. And some custom Cable Mod cables. 

Take a look at this guys stuff. Stunning!