Sign in to follow this  
cyyzrwy24

UNUSUAL QUESTION

Hey guys,

I have a bit unusual question. I have P3Dv4 installed on HDD (E:), well, I decided to do so since was empty and clean...and yes I've seen recommendation about SSD (G:) but still. Anyhow, now I bought my second SSD and plugged in and tried to clone my HDD (non OS (E:)) that contains P3Dv4 to newly bought SSD (G:), Well, Samsung Magician doesn't want to do that since there is no OS on it. I was doing some research and found that I could simple move whole folder and that would be sufficient for game or everything else since it does not need any alignments etc...Am I doing right thing or there is something I can use to transfer whole LM folder from drive to drive?

Thanks

Alex 

9 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Hey guys,

I have a bit unusual question. I have P3Dv4 installed on HDD (E:), well, I decided to do so since was empty and clean...and yes I've seen recommendation about SSD (G:) but still. Anyhow, now I bought my second SSD and plugged in and tried to clone my HDD (non OS (E:)) that contains P3Dv4 to newly bought SSD (G:), Well, Samsung Magician doesn't want to do that since there is no OS on it. I was doing some research and found that I could simple move whole folder and that would be sufficient for game or everything else since it does not need any alignments etc...Am I doing right thing or there is something I can use to transfer whole LM folder from drive to drive?

Thanks

Can’t do that, you’ll have to reinstall P3D onto the new drive manually. Copying files doesn’t work, believe me I’ve tried...

It depends if the new SSD will replace your current HDD (E) or if you are just adding the SSD to your system.

If replacing the HDD with the SSD, then you can copy the content of your (E) drive to the SSD, assuming that the size of your SSD is big enough. Then, shutdown your computer,, remove the old HHD, restart the computer and go in device manager to make sure that your new SSD is assigned the letter (E). If not, make it (E).

If you are adding the SSD to your system, it will then have its own drive letter and moving your P3D folder to it will not work, as John Moore has stated.

So, what is your intention ? Replace or add the SSD ?

What else do you have on your current (E) drive ?

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

I was planing adding......I did copied but opens last position. Old folder (original) I didn't touched, just copied to see whats happening. Now when I try original it just goes to last scenario...It doesn't load home screen with default vehicle, scenarios, etc...What did I screwed I have no idea....No I am mad doing this...

I am able to load from menu bar, but Sim does not load to main page.....:blush:

Alex 

7 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I was planing adding......I did copied but opens last position. Old folder (original) I didn't touched, just copied to see whats happening. Now when I try original it just goes to last scenario...It doesn't load home screen with default vehicle, scenarios, etc...What did I screwed I have no idea....No I am mad doing this...

I am able to load from menu bar, but Sim does not load to main page.....:blush:

After you move everything over to your new SSD, change the drive letter back to your old one and everything should be good.

Having copied your P3D folder to your new SSD does not break anything because when you start P3D, the shortcut for it still launches the simulator on your (E) drive (unless you changed some other config files elsewhere).

Is your current HDD (E) containing only P3D related stuff ?

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes it does....but now as I said doesn't load main screen....goes straight to active runway and default vehicle, so I am unable to do my own scenario. | could choose it thru menus but where did my "welcome" screen go...? LOL

I didn't deleted anything fro (E:) just copied....

Alex 

3 minutes ago, NBouc said:

Having copied your P3D folder to your new SSD does not break anything because when you start P3D, the shortcut for it still launches the simulator on your (E) drive (unless you changed some other config files elsewhere).

Is your current HDD (E) containing only P3D related stuff ?

Yes it does....

Alex 

Master reset worked.....Now...question still remains, how do I flip to SSD. Copying to SSD (G:) and than rename it to (E:)? And E: to something else?

Alex 

Alex, before giving you a recommendation, I need to know if physically, your new SSD can contain everything that is on your current HDD (E). Because if it is the case, we can copy the whole (E) drive to your SSD (G), which could take a few hours to perform, and then reassign the drive letters so that the SSD becomes your new (E) and your old HDD becomes (G) or (H). You can then use your old HDD for storage (after reformatting it to erase what's on it).

Normand

Ok...I think I know what you mean by that. Old HDD 1TB (E:) is bigger and contains P3Dv4, there are few other files and downloads totaling about 120 GB. New is 500GB (SSD G:) and have some 64GB on it and 387 free space.So all would fit. Right? Would than all work?

Sorry to bug you

Alex 

So if I read you correctly, copying the content of your current HDD (E) will add 120GB to the existing 64GB of the SSD, for a total of 184GB, which fit perfectly on a 500GB SSD.

On your SSD, is the 64GB taken by softwares that you installed or is it only data files ? (because if it is software, they will no longer work after the switch because the SSD will no longer be (G).

Normand

Alex, I gotta go and I'll be away for the next 2 days.

But you seem to understand the basic idea for puting P3D on your SSD, which is:

- Copy what is on your HDD to your SSD.

- In device manager, reassign the drive letters to make the HHD (H), this frees the letter E.

- Assign the now free letter E to your SSD.

- You can then change your HDD to (G) if you prefer that.

When all is done, you can erase or reformat your old HDD and use it for storage (downloads, etc..)

Everything you previously installed for P3D (Scenery, aircrafts, etc...) will still come out of the (E) drive, but now it is a SSD instead of mechanical HDD, much faster loading.

I wish you well.

Normand