Sign in to follow this  
driver101

Transponder Mode

On 4/30/2019 at 4:38 AM, RXP said:

Hi, I think in addition to the User's Manual I've documented this in a post above!

Sorry, was looking for the FSUIPC offset not the command sent from the GTN software.

On 11/25/2017 at 6:16 AM, RXP said:

Hi,

The transponder is synchronizing with the FltSim XPDR code. However, unlike our X-Plane version, the transponder mode is not synced with FltSim just because there is no XPDR mode in FltSim (it is assumed always ON and there is no SDK variable). To enhance the capabilities of our GTN, we're publishing our own XPDR mode simvar (along with IDENT and LIGHT simvars) to permit third party gauges/modules to interact with our GTN XPDR.

Also, in our X-Plane version, there are further multiplayer support via PilotEdge and VATSIM, which permit displaying the RX/TX COM flag when communicating. There is none of this in our FltSim version yet simply because we can't get a hold on Keith (PilotEdge) for the last 6 months, nor it is clear at this time if any of third party online network clients are sharing any data to third parties for such integration. If you have further information on this, we'll be glad to evaluate!

if you'd like to get ahold of Keith of PilotEdge, I'm on the Discord for them and can send him a message, if you'd like to provide a means for him to reply?

I'm currently working to figure out the scripting, sorry that FSX/P3D doesn't support this natively, but being I was one that was behind getting the new PE client, and know it works the same as vPilot...  Shouldn't be hard for me to get this going for both clients....  You have been great help.

I have one last question being we are talking about the GTN and stuff, are you planning to bring any other Garmin Aviation type systems to P3D?  Thanks for all your help and some great software to work with.  Was wondering if there is any plans to make the gages that comes with the gtn trainer work for us in P3dv4?  I would find them very handy.

Edited by wings138
  • Like 1

Just to close my input on this topic, here is the final lua file to operate the RXP GTN750 transponder modes and IDENT and sen the appropriate signals to PilotEdge. Place the .lua file (name it RXPGTN750 XPDR or whatever you want but make it the same as the filename you put in the FSUIPC5.ini Auto section) in the P3D Modules folder and put a section as follows in the FSUIPC5.ini file.

[Auto] 

1=Lua RXPGTN750_XPDR

Spoiler

function CheckTransponderState(name, value)
if value == 3 then
ipc.control(1120,1)
end
if value == 2 then
ipc.control(1120,1)
end
if value == 1 then
ipc.control(1119,1)
end
if value == 0 then
ipc.control(1119,1)
end
end

function CheckIDENT(name, value)
if value == 1 then
ipc.control(1122,1)
else
ipc.control(1122,0)
end
end

event.Lvar("rxp.transponder.mode", 700, "CheckTransponderState")
event.Lvar("rxp.transponder.id", 100, "CheckIDENT")

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

19 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Just to close my input on this topic, here is the final lua file to operate the RXP GTN750 transponder modes and IDENT and sen the appropriate signals to PilotEdge. Place the .lua file (name it RXPGTN750 XPDR or whatever you want but make it the same as the filename you put in the FSUIPC5.ini Auto section) in the P3D Modules folder and put a section as follows in the FSUIPC5.ini file.

[Auto] 

1=Lua RXPGTN750_XPDR

Hide contents

function CheckTransponderState(name, value)
if value == 3 then
ipc.control(1120,1)
end
if value == 2 then
ipc.control(1120,1)
end
if value == 1 then
ipc.control(1119,1)
end
if value == 0 then
ipc.control(1119,1)
end
end

function CheckIDENT(name, value)
if value == 1 then
ipc.control(1122,1)
else
ipc.control(1122,0)
end
end

event.Lvar("rxp.transponder.mode", 700, "CheckTransponderState")
event.Lvar("rxp.transponder.id", 100, "CheckIDENT")

Thank you Bruce!

Edited by driver101
  • Like 1

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

On 4/18/2019 at 11:49 AM, RXP said:

In short: these are bidirectional simvars with external priority: if an external program writes the values, the GTN changes, otherwise if the GTN changes it writes the values.

Please note our GTN for X-Plane is compatible with both PiloteEdge and xSquawkbox for XPDR mode, XPDR ID and Reply, COM TX/RX flags as-is because this is standardized in X-Plane!

On 11/25/2017 at 6:16 AM, RXP said:

Hi,

The transponder is synchronizing with the FltSim XPDR code. However, unlike our X-Plane version, the transponder mode is not synced with FltSim just because there is no XPDR mode in FltSim (it is assumed always ON and there is no SDK variable). To enhance the capabilities of our GTN, we're publishing our own XPDR mode simvar (along with IDENT and LIGHT simvars) to permit third party gauges/modules to interact with our GTN XPDR.

Also, in our X-Plane version, there are further multiplayer support via PilotEdge and VATSIM, which permit displaying the RX/TX COM flag when communicating. There is none of this in our FltSim version yet simply because we can't get a hold on Keith (PilotEdge) for the last 6 months, nor it is clear at this time if any of third party online network clients are sharing any data to third parties for such integration. If you have further information on this, we'll be glad to evaluate!

The LUA script above seems to show how it was coded in this aircraft, so that this aircraft writes FSUIPC offsets when the user is pressing the gauge buttons. You might take a similar approach to directly write the GTN simvars instead, or, you can make a LUA script which main loop just 'synchronizes' the GTN and FSUIPC based on reading/writing the FSUIPC offsets on one hand and the GTN simvars on the other hand.

I wish I could help more with this but I can't for now. The basics are easy though thanks to our simvars and their bi-directional sync nature.

Hi, I wanted to get back to you on all this.  The script provided by bbuckley is the only known way to get the GTNs to communicate thru FSX/P3D to either the vPilot or PilotEdge (P3D version).

I have been running it now for several days and it works wonderfully.

As far as the two clients, if it doesn't work in vPilot, it's not going to be any different in PilotEdge as they are both written by the same person.  Really the biggest differences is in the PE program there is no ATC list, and no Chat/Text box, and they use different codex.  They can be used on the same computer at the same time.

So, if you have any questions about how either one works just contact the developer for vPilot.  There is a private group creating there own VatSim client called swift (that to me is way over the top with complication), but it could be possible with that to have TX/RX Lights and more then two squawk modes (on and off).

I really do want to thank you for a great product and would hope you can keep it great as long as there are simmers out there.  My next step is to get the RealSimGear Panels and mount them into my home cockpit (based on a Cessna PIT).  Thanks again....

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:35 PM, wings138 said:

I have one last question being we are talking about the GTN and stuff, are you planning to bring any other Garmin Aviation type systems to P3D?  Thanks for all your help and some great software to work with.  Was wondering if there is any plans to make the gages that comes with the gtn trainer work for us in P3dv4?  I would find them very handy.

Hi, you might want to read this then:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 5/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, wings138 said:

The script provided by bbuckley is the only known way to get the GTNs to communicate thru FSX/P3D to either the vPilot or PilotEdge (P3D version).

I thank @bbuckley for this script. It is most welcome.

I've already sent Keith the details and code to do differently with his new client but it seems it didn't make it through.

For example the X-Plane PE client doens't need any third party tech and just uses the SDK. We properly interact with the X-Plane PE client (and the xSquawkbox client too) for TX/RX COM flags and the XPDR.

They can do exactly the very same with P3D: the flight simulator SDK as already all that is needed just using SimConnect, or it is very easy to develop a 'module' instead publishing their own vars and commands (we do this for our GTN and GNS V2 isn't it?)

I find this is unfortunate PE and all other such clients rely on FSUIPC for their 'public interface' at least because:

1. They are dependent on a third party while all needed is already in the simulator SDK.
  2. No other vendor can use their interface unless they pay a FSUIPC fee and make themselves dependent on another 3rd party as well.
  • Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I should be clear that I am not associated with PE in any way other than longtime happy customer. But I have seen Keith say in other forums that FSUIPC is not required in any way for PE. So I don’t know exactly how that factors into this discussion, but I use FSUIPC and LUA scripts for many things including the transponder script above. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

FSUIPC is not required in any way for PE

then you are making me wonder what are the other means to access/write/read the PE client XPDR state and RX/TX state. You script is doing this in using FSUIPC offsets if I'm not mistaken?

On 5/19/2019 at 4:42 PM, RXP said:

then you are making me wonder what are the other means to access/write/read the PE client XPDR state and RX/TX state. You script is doing this in using FSUIPC offsets if I'm not mistaken?

So, both the PilotEdge and vPilot operate the same and use simconnect to communicate.  We are using FSUIPC offsets setup by old Squawkbox to control.  According to Keith (PE) there are just the two modes off and mode C.  There is probably a way to change over to using just simconnect, but that is beyond my abilities.

I would personally contact the developer of vPilot and maybe talk to him about doing a direct simconnect version.

It would be nice if it also did the other two modes GND and the other mode C.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, RXP said:

Hi, you might want to read this then:

I like what I see and would also be interested in the other screens that show engine information as well.  I personally would be more products...  I spend a lot of time flying Payware aircraft in P3D v. 4.5 and the Reality-XP products works so well, I will buy more...

Hi -- I found this post from the vPilot Dev who seems to make it appear that they support Simconnect Squakbox VARs.  It would be awesome if this is possible since that would mean no need for scripts or FSUIPC....

Les O'Reilly

Dear Reality-XP, I just found out the hard way now that the transponder on the GTN does not communicate with vpilot! Please look into this for a future update. Thank you - David