Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

How well will an i7-4790 16GB GTX-970-4GB run P3D4?

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win10 Pro

For me v4 runs much better then v3. With higher in game settings I would say I run now 40fps where I had previously 30fps. 

From my experience your pc should run p3dv4 better than v3

Should be fine.  LM is great about refunds if you don't like it.

3 minutes ago, 503Kento said:

I have almost that same setup, work well for my mostly GA flying with ORBX regions and a2a Comanche. 

That's a strong review.  I turned off my regions some time ago, opting for more smoothness.  An A2A plane flying in a region is tough for me.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I'm still running P3D 3.4 and it works a champ.  Still, things are moving on from that version and I'm planning for the move to P3D 4.1.  I don't want to invest in a lot of hardware at this point.  I know that it's graphically better....will it run better or worse than my 3.4 setup?

Gregg

You should be fine. I have the same setup and with the same settings as I had in v3.4 Prepar3D v4 runs slightly smoother. I fly a lot of VFR with ORBX global and OpenLC NA with TerraFlora trees in an A2A Comanche or Cherokee. I run my i7-4790K at 4.6 GHz.

Good CPU, more than enough ram, the GPU will work fine. Down the road an upgrade in the GPU would be worth considering. 8 gig 1070 is getting pretty reasonable. 1070 or 1080 would let you do VR if you should decided to go in that direction.

Dave

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Gregg

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

9 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Gregg

I think you will get better performance with P3DV4.1 over P3DV3.4. I am running a I7 4770K 16gb ram and a GTX 960. I get better performance in 4.1 than I did with 3.4. I can fly my PMDG 737NGX in Orbx NCA into Flight beam's KSFO without issue. On final I will get 25FPS. I am not running a 4K monitor.

Greg

Running any AA?

Gregg Seipp

8 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Running any AA?

FXAA on, 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16X, textures 1024x1024 resolution 1920x1080x32.

Greg

• Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

28 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Greg

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

Gregg Seipp

28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Okay.  Looks like I'll be good then.  Thanks all!

Gregg, please report back after you have some experience. We share almost identical setups.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I used to had the same spec running FSX SE, since the switch to P3Dv4 the only upgrade I made was a new 1070 GPU.  So I say go for it but maybe upgrade your GPU when you can.

Thomas Derbyshire

4 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Greg

I run that in game except 4x msaa with gtx 970 and 2500K at 4ghz 8 gb ram

One thing I do is turn texture resolution to 1m in Orbx areas - lose a little clarity way down low (i.e. Less than 1000 agl) but it's far less work on my CPU.  Your 4790 may be a lot better able to handle it

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

22 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

in P3D 4.1 my biggest issue so far is video ram (our stupid 3.5) and almost running out of physical RAM

Ryan,

How much physical ram do you have?

Gregg Seipp