Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Power On Now [solved]

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Bill, I believe the standalone trainer starts from a launcher in a separate folder.

It does. The other subfolder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Launcher\Aviation_Trainer_Launcher.exe

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Yes. I believe I spec'd a path at the time of first installation to make sure it differentiated from the F1's GTN Trainer installation.  Again, I am clearly seeing version 6.41.0 when I use the launcher, and the properties of the GTN Simulator.exe file confirm that.   My RXP GTN 750 was working prior to yesterday and again the only change I made was an attempt to use Ryan and gang's mod for buttons and knobs.  And that only for the Real Air TDv2.  My GTN is dark in all aircraft it is installed into.

Ohoh.... that's me!

So installing the new mod broke your GTN?  Well at least we're still testing it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan's gauge is not the culprit and couldn't interfere with this.

The bug was literally similar to typing '8' instead of '7' in the middle of the source code which is in charge of the Garmin trainer itself, not the code related to the gauge, and this is why it became undetected so far.

Now there could be a few things I can see which would affect the trainer files one day to the next:

1) the Garmin trainer crashed the last time, or failed to properly close the process, and the non volatile memory file is corrupted. I've documented this in the forum already somewhere, just look in c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\ for a subfolder 'nonvol', make a copy of all sys_nand* files for restoring later, delete all sys_nand# where # is a letter (these are the RXP GTN copies per device type + unit number).

2) there is a missing registry entry, deleted by a program for no reason since the previous day (unlikely to happen, unlikely to cause an issue without a mention in the RXP log files)

3) the registry mistakenly points GTN 6.41 to 6.21 which support is broken in latest release (as mentioned above), unlikely because they use very different registry entries that we use for auto detecting the installation path.

4) you are manually redirecting to 6.21 and have forgotten about this (RXP environment variables)

5) or another solution using the Garmin trainer is messing around with the files. Unlikely, but this could be possible just because of a bug for example.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

41 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Ohoh.... that's me!

So installing the new mod broke your GTN?  Well at least we're still testing it.

Ryan. Cannot make that conclusion.  I only applied your work to my RealAir TDv2.  Not sure it did anything. I do not know all that the .xml file does.  Does it make mods other than specifically to the panel of a single aircraft it is applied to if only applied to one aircraft?  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@fppilot 

56 minutes ago, RXP said:

Ryan's gauge is not the culprit and couldn't interfere with this.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

1 hour ago, RXP said:

look in c:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\ for a subfolder 'nonvol', make a copy of all sys_nand* files for restoring later, delete all sys_nand# where # is a letter (these are the RXP GTN copies per device type + unit number).

This is not likely the culprit on my system as I just restored backups of the i and j files I had saved two weeks ago and it made no difference.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@fppilot nevertheless you could give it a try.

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\nonvol" is the exact folder for GTN 6.41

There is "sys_nand0" which is the genuine GTN file. It is re-created if missing the next time you start the GTN Trainer. There are all the others, which are per-device type+unit.

Should the device/unit sys_nand# file is missing, the RXP GTN makes a copy from "sys_nand0". Please note these store the device settings and stored flight plans/user wpts.

I'd suggest you still let it rebuild sys_nand0, and the others right after. This might require you first start the GTN trainer standalone to let it re-create sys_nand0 anew, and then try in the simulator to let it re-create the per-device/unit file.

Again, this is just so that we can eliminate for sure any issue with these files, which have shown in the past with the legacy GNS to get corrupted from time to time especially when the host simulator is closing unexpectedly (simulator crashes).

11 minutes ago, RXP said:

I'd suggest you still let it rebuild sys_nand0, and the others right after. This might require you first start the GTN trainer standalone to let it re-create sys_nand0 anew, and then try in the simulator to let it re-create the per-device/unit file.

Done. No success.  Starting the 6.41.0 trainer did rebuild the sys_nand0 file, but the i and j files (I have only the GTN 750, 1 & 2) did not get rebuilt. Predict they get rebuilt when the RXP GTN's first start afterward, only they are not starting so no rebuild.

Where can I see the current path that points RXP to the Garmin trainer?  Predict the best course for me to take from here is a total uninstall of both RXP GTN and the GTN Trainer, and then a fresh new installaton.  Will likely wait for this latest update you are readying. 

I may need some guidance on how to best accomplish it. My recent reinstallations of RC's and updates have not asked me anything about  the Garmin GTN Trainer, so the path on my system has not changed from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\RXP GTN_Trainers". 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Just to be certain it's not the gauge (it only affects the acft whose panel folder you install it to) - you could delete the line that you added to the panel.cfg the rxpGTN 1,1,0,0 or whatever it is.  That would stop it from working.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

Just to be certain it's not the gauge (it only affects the acft whose panel folder you install it to) - you could delete the line that you added to the panel.cfg the rxpGTN 1,1,0,0 or whatever it is.  That would stop it from working.

Ryan. Not to worry. I did that right away.  It's not your gauge. Only a coincidence.  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Hi, v2.4.11 is now live via "Check Updates..."

Okay! v2.4.11 update completed and now I have my GTN750 back up and bright and working! 

&^%$#@$$%^^%$  !!!!!! 

Too many hours spent chasing elusive gremlins.  In regard to Garmin GTN Trainers....  I clearly had in place and have 6.41.0 in place, yesterday and today. Either the issue was not at all trainer dependant (6.21.0 vs 6.41.0) or the issue was misidentified and was with both.  That gap in issue identification cost me a lot of time and effort.

Need some sleep!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I'm glad it is all working fine now, and I thank you for your patience. It is rewarding in the end for all of us!

The issue was clearly with 6.21 only, and I suspect there was something else at play which was making either a sort of 'mismatch' of 6.21 and 6.41 somehow, or, a file which has got corrupted then replaced anew with the 2.4.11 installation. 

Nevertheless, v2.4.11 also corrects other small bugs there and there!