Sign in to follow this  
scnrfrq

New GTX1060

Just installed a new GTX1060 card. Still getting a few stutters. I would think with a card like this I wouldn't have to worry about turning down settings. Anything I can try?

I'm happy with the performance of my GT1060, but it's not a card you can shove everything to the right with. 

Try:

• LOD: Medium
  • Mesg Complexity: 100
  • Mesh Resolution: 5m
  • Texture Resolution: 7cm
  • Water Effects: Mid 2.x
  • Scenery Complexity: Very Dense
  • Autogen Complexity: Dense

...and limit FPS to 30 or 32.

No guarantees, of course, because all systems are different, but that might make a good starting point for you.

HTH...

6 hours ago, scnrfrq said:

Just installed a new GTX1060 card. Still getting a few stutters. I would think with a card like this I wouldn't have to worry about turning down settings. Anything I can try?

What screen resolution are you using? Remember also that the CPU does most of the work in FSX so updating your GPU will only make the image look better but will not normally significantly improve performance (unless the old card was definitely the bottleneck).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

This is very true; in FSX the CPU will do a lot of the work. The graphics card should still pick up on some of the load though. What card did you have last?

spacer.png

Your graphics card will certainly help with performance, just not as much as you would like it to, it will help with the “look” of the sim and help with rendering and some other things. FSX and all her sisters will always be mostly cpu bound until changes to the engine (or a whole new one) are made. Settings in FSX are so subjective, so what ever works for you is going to be best.

FSX is a beast still to this day, and seems to be a lottery for who it works best for.

I guess I got lucky, I ran a i7 2700k @4.8 and a GTX 680 with 8gb ram for 5 years and had great performance with high settings, (smooth to my eyes) at 30fps almost everywhere, I have just upgraded to a GTX 1070 ti and couldn’t be happier with how the sim looks and it feels much smoother to me anyway. Try not to run the sim at to high of settings, you really won’t be missing a whole lot, some yes but not a whole lot.

Cheers

9 hours ago, vortex681 said:

What screen resolution are you using? Remember also that the CPU does most of the work in FSX so updating your GPU will only make the image look better but will not normally significantly improve performance (unless the old card was definitely the bottleneck).

1920x1080 resolution. Old card was a GTX295. The Alienware PC is about 8 years old. It has an i7-950 CPU at 3.07 GHZ (4 cores). Also running 6 GB of DDR3 RAM (NB Freq of 3210 MHZ and DRAM Freq of 481.5 MHZ - 3 sticks at 960 MHZ each). How does this look for running FSX?

6 hours ago, ClaytonYosten said:

This is very true; in FSX the CPU will do a lot of the work. The graphics card should still pick up on some of the load though. What card did you have last?

It was a GTX295.

For stuttering, check the following:

- FSUIPC's Autosave function has to be turned off
- The hard drive that FSX is run from has to be a SSD or needs to be regularly defragmented if it is not
- No antivirus program should interfere with FSX' process

The video card is largely irrelevant. You could have stuck it out with your GTX295 till the end of days in FSX.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Also, as always, check for processes running in the background... and turn them off.

Intuit or Google Updates have a habit of interfering with smooth flightsim operations!

Bert

For FSX?  A new gpu is nearly worthless unless running multi monitors or higher than 1080p

i went from a gtx 570 to 970 and literally observed no change in fps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

For FSX?  A new gpu is nearly worthless unless running multi monitors or higher than 1080p

i went from a gtx 570 to 970 and literally observed no change in fps.

Is it accurate that FSX is primarily dependent on CPU while P3D is mostly GPU dependent ?

No, P3D is still very CPU dependent.  However P3D will use a gpu more than FSX because it has more settings that require a gpu. 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 11/25/2017 at 2:58 PM, scnrfrq said:

It's not the card or the computer. It's the sim. You should try X-Plane 11. It's the smoothest sim I own.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

34 minutes ago, DJJose said:

It's not the card or the computer. It's the sim. You should try X-Plane 11. It's the smoothest sim I own.

I disagree. I have an Alienware X51 computer purchased in 2012 that has an i7 chip with 3.4 GHz and FSX installed from the box, with many scenery add-ons. Last year I replaced the original GTX555 video card with a GTX1060, and could not be happier. I run almost everything maxed out except water (mid 2.0) and the sliders for AI planes, cars, and ships, and unlimited frames, any kind of weather, and get excellent, smooth performance everywhere except the most scenery-intensive areas such as the notorious Heatrhrow, etc. where the FPS drops to 15-20. Typically I see frame rates anywhere from 50 to 100 or more.   Just my two and a half cents worth.