Sign in to follow this  
Julien H

[VATSIM] What have I done wrong?

A quick look at transavia on the nop yesterday shows they use 001 and 002 not tra01 and tra02

We brought alpha numerics at virgin in 2008 or 2009 as we had an incident in the Ockham hold with the vir46 from jfk and the vir6 from Miami they where both in the hold at the same time and the 46 was told to descent the 6 took the instruction by mistake and nearly ploughed Into the other aircraft below. 

The ferrys have 87 callsigns and the positioners have P at the end from the positioning sector ie 71p is going to or from the vir71

At easyJet each year the 2000 alpha numerics they use get randomly generated by a guy In occ and then get sent to euro control to be tested for issues.  The ferry's and positioning flights have 9000 callsigns. 

My friend and I where talking about this yesterday in work, there's nothing more annoying when you have 2 days off, the wife is out and about and you plan to do a long Haul say lgw to mco as the vir15n in the 744, and some other dude has the callsigns and Is going say bhx to fra in the concorde.  

A mate of mine who's a approach controller at lhr and lgw on vatsim logs off when he sees people doing circuits at lhr or lgw. Because it's annoys him, he'd rather they take that malarkey to Doncaster, Prestwick, East mids or Chateroux where most people do base training stuff

Finally last week the poster boy belynz was doing a India to Heathrow flight (some 7 hours early) myself and my mate in work put his fp into the validator and it came up with 6 issues in Europe.  We also counted  4 out of India due to levels, notams and Airways closures 

14ppkc-6.png

VIR has like 3 flights from Gatwick to Mickey World a day, just pick another bloody callsign if 15N is in use.

Eric 

tooting - you make some very interesting points. And it seems that you have an intriguing RW position which has allowed you to amass a wealth of knowledge. 

Regarding the OP, I think we should give him credit for taking the time to post a question and seek guidance from the more experienced simmers on this forum, including yourself. 

Maybe later down the road he'll be interested in some of the more intricate operational details. For now, we should lend a supporting hand.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 2

Im fairly new to vatsim (about 5 months now) which took forever to actually go thru with it. I signed up on vatsim 6 years ago. First, kudos to the OP for getting to know vatsim right out of Gatwick. Busy place to learn and intimidating. At the same time , clearly he is keen on learning and humble enough to post on here to learn from mistakes. 

However alot of the comments about exact proper procedure to the T would be such a push away to newbies. You want to increase vatsim numbers, well that certainly isnt going to do it. Not just to the OP but to anyone else thinking of joining may have just read this thread and be put off by it. Once you start getting comfortable with vatsim, its a great experience overall, but it takes time for many and there will be instances of annoyed controllers. (understandably so, as its quite stressful, when its busy and some didnt get the instructions properly or failed to execute it for a number of reasons. 

My suggestion from experience is to just be an observer at those busy hubs following taxi instructions from other aircraft,  then do some flights in far less busy places first. (ENGM,ESSA are great for that and very understanding controllers) If you want to fly in/out of EGKK or EGLL EHAM EDDF etc, try to find a less busy time initially.  Use a good flight planner that is tied to vatsim so that it is filed properly. I use simbrief and dont seem to have much issues. Just put in the comments section of the FP that you are "new to vatsim". Hopefully they will be more forgiving and helpful that way.

All the best. 

• Upvote 5

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

VIR has like 3 flights from Gatwick to Mickey World a day, just pick another bloody callsign if 15N is in use.

no it doesnt.  thats only 2 days a week in the summer when we put the extra one on with the extra vegas too.  Normally its only the 15 and 27.

Capture2.jpg

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, nisx said:

tooting - you make some very interesting points. And it seems that you have an intriguing RW position which has allowed you to amass a wealth of knowledge. 

Regarding the OP, I think we should give him credit for taking the time to post a question and seek guidance from the more experienced simmers on this forum, including yourself. 

Maybe later down the road he'll be interested in some of the more intricate operational details. For now, we should lend a supporting hand.

Just my two cents.

correct 18 years. and 4 airlines later.   2  short haul (bmi+gb airways) ,  One lowcost (easyjet) one long haul (Virgin atlantic) 

I agree with high towers the newbies should practice at a smaller airport and not heathrow or gatwick.  I feel for the controllers in busy places like gatwick and heathrow that are dealing with newguys that have no idea what they are doing when they have 10 or so other a/c on their freq too.

In the 2 weeks alone ive done 2 go arounds at egkk due to newbies, last week one cutting in front while on the ils, and 2 days ago the other someone thumped it in and couldnt get off the runway and just sat there.  

Ive also put in my post for him to pm for any flightplans, charts etc etc.  that goes for anyone on the forumn ive always said that.

14ppkc-6.png

Just to be pedantic...

Fickle means "changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties or affections", see here.

...and leading zero's in callsigns are the devils work... and unnecessary.

Ian

• Upvote 1

Just to be an ***hole...

So the OP comes here legitimately asking for advice as a VATSIM beginner and he gets told off because he doesn't follow real world procedures to the very last detail.

So, as a VATSIM beginner just as the OP, I must ask: Is VATSIM only meant for real world pilots with more than 10000 certified B747 hours? Is it not true that most airports with proper control are the big ones, because almost everyone flies airliners on VATSIM? How is a beginner supposed to get acquainted with VATSIM if not by making mistakes and having fun along the way, instead of being told how effing wrong he is? Yes, the ultimate goal is realistic immersion, but you don't get there on the first day, or first month even.

Jeez...

• Upvote 1

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

11 minutes ago, jacf182 said:

So, as a VATSIM beginner just as the OP, I must ask: Is VATSIM only meant for real world pilots with more than 10000 certified B747 hours?

As an RW ATPL pilot with over 10000 hours I tend to stay away from Vatsim when “know it better, non RW pilots”, or OCC people who think the are pilots try to “educate” others about RW piloting.

Vatsim can be an wonderful place but like Dave said, like IRL you have the occasional character that lives in his own world.

I can only advice the OP to keep flying and trying on Vatsim and ask every question he has in the appropiate forums. Practice makes perfect. 

Happy landings in this hobby of ours.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, skelsey said:

The problem with leading zeros in alphanumeric callsigns is that there is a history of controllers mistakenly transposing them (e.g. BAW027 may be mistakenly referred to as BAW207). As I say though, it's not banned and some flights do use them!

I see, makes sense I guess. Weird why some flights carry on using them. You would think it would be more helpful and easy enough to not use them. 

22 minutes ago, Flyer024 said:

As an RW ATPL pilot with over 10000 hours I tend to stay away from Vatsim when “know it better, non RW pilots”, or OCC people who think the are pilots try to “educate” others about RW piloting.

Vatsim can be an wonderful place but like Dave said, like IRL you have the occasional character that lives in his own world.

I can only advice the OP to keep flying and trying on Vatsim and ask every question he has in the appropiate forums. Practice makes perfect. 

Happy landings in this hobby of ours.

I find most pilots to be pampered Pri Madonnas who also live in their own world and care for nothing apart from themselves, and thinks anyone owes them a favour for just doing their job,  let alone the pax that pay their salaries or the company that employs them.  They not curing cancer, they are flying a big bus.. They are pilots, nothing more nothing less.   

Come into my occ anytme and listen to some of the junk we deal with from pilots and crew every 20 mins that think they are changing the world or something.  

I just vatsim to introduce a policy of newguys dont go to big busy airports or a pilot exam like the controllers have.  simple.

14ppkc-6.png

Come on friends. No need for this...

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

7 minutes ago, tooting said:

I always find pilots to be pampered Pri Madonnas who also live in their own world and care for nothing apart from themselves, let alone the pax onboard or the company that employs them. 

come into my occ anytme and listen to some of the junk we deal with from pilots every 20 mins

Fair enough , but it goes both ways with the same for controllers. Just listen to some of archived recordings online. 

What I dont get is you applying your real world career experience to the vatsim world to perfection apples to apples. The vast majority are not real world pilots, we are not paid to do this. We do this as a fun enjoyable hobby, and while Ive been in flight simulation for 30 years, vatsim or the like while adding to realism immersion, can also be killed in a flash when everything must fit in your perfect world. We try our best, but there will be screw ups as there is on the other side of the fence. We all live and learn. The end game is still to enjoy the hobby. 

If you dont like missed perfection, then send us all to a professional school paid for , accommodations food and any license fees. We appreciated online controllers being there but its not going to a real world scenario each and every second with so much variety of experience online. 

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

like I said

I just vatsim to introduce a policy of newguys dont go to big busy airports or a pilot exam like the controllers have.  simple.

ps,, Just to give you an example, Ive just had a pilot call up complaining that he had to sit next to a child on a paxing flight of 3 hours within the US.

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, tooting said:

I find most pilots to be pampered Pri Madonnas who also live in their own world and care for nothing apart from themselves, and thinks anyone owes them a favour for just doing their job

But that's what everyone who works in a nice, safe, warm office miles from any customers, screaming children, dirty planes or dangerous weather thinks... :tongue:

• Upvote 3