Sign in to follow this  
raymie

P3D 3.4xx Initial Crash & Black Screen

Until now, I have enjoyed a very stable flight sim environment--the only other CTD  was due to the MS security update--information on this forum helped me to temporarily resolve that. 

--I am currently running P3D v. 3.4xx on Win 10 Home OS--Jetline built computer last year and GTX 1070 Nvidia video card with latest updated driver. I will now describe what is happening.

1. Double click on P3D icon to run flightsim.  I run Prepar3D as administrator

2. Prepar3D opening screen appears, Windows "blue" wheel spins, then about 3-5 seconds later--sim crashes to a "black screen". I mouse click (left or right click) on the black screen and only hear the "Windows chime" sound. P3D does not load the main menu or I guess you call it "P3D Scenario Setup" menu.

3. "ESC" key takes me to "End Scenario" Menu. When I mouse click on one of the tab functions--that menu comes up--I select an aircraft--it shows and rotates, but some of the textures are missing. If I select and load a saved flight--it will go to "Black Screen". It does the same if I select an aircraft, opening airport, black screen appears. If I select and load a saved scenario it does the same thing--goes to a black screen. If I select the "Settings" tab--the General Menu shows okay--Display, Simulation and World all show okay with no changes in settings.The only way I can exit P3D is to End Scenario Menu (Exit tab?)

Here is what I have tried up to this point--

1. After the initial crash--I did a restore point for Windows 10 thinking that something has changed to cause this problem. After this step, P3D worked as normal--I enjoyed a good sim experience. Closed P3D, then when I tried later to open it up again for another flight, the same crash as earlier described happened--looking at the black screen again.

2. I copied and pasted the P3D cfg. file into a separate folder to allow the sim to generate a new cfg. file. That failed as I could not even open P3D. Looked at the new cfg. file and it looked like half of the file was not generated. Replaced that cfg. file with the original one.

3. I updated my video card driver--first time since owning the system. That had no helpful effect on the problem.

4. I looked at the Windows Event Viewer --however, there was no helpful information--At the approx. time I tried to boot up P3D--all I saw in the "Application" section was "Information" and then this description HHCTRL & 1903. I have no "Fatal Errors" placards or .dll's mentioned.

5. I seriously thought about uninstall and reinstall or purchasing P3D v 4xx. For that reason, I uninstalled all my addon Orbx scenery via FTX Central. Then, I went ahead and tried to boot up P3D. It loaded up what I guess was the default scenery, then the main scenario set up menu appeared--I enjoyed a great sim experience--exited P3D thinking I had an Orbx problem. This morning, I tried to open P3D again, and it crashed as described earlier to a black screen. (Orbx, REX Clouds, GTN 750-650 and a variety of payware aircraft are the only addons I have in P3D)

Sorry, I am new at this so I do not know how to print out the Windows Event Viewer information and post it here. In the "Application" section the following are the only two events with a "! Error" label that I found..

--Error: FTX Central.exe Ver. 3.2.30   "Kernelbase.dll"  Event ID 1000 App Error

--Error: FTX Central.exe  ".Net Runtime"  Event ID 1026

The only entry in the Application section of the viewer I found for P3D noted this: Application, Event ID 1001, Level--Information, Fault bucket, type 0, Event Name--PCA2, Problem Signature: P1: Prepar3D exe, P2: 3.4.14.18870 P3: Prepar3D exe P4: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D P5: Lockheed Martin, P6: 100 P7: 0  (P8-10 are blank). I did not find any error information pertaining to this problem in the "Systems" section of the event viewer.

Any kind of helpful guidance in dealing with this situation would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this type of sim troubleshooting. I hate the thought of uninstall\ reinstall of P3D as it came pre-installed when I purchased this computer nearly a year ago.

Thanks for your time and attention to this.

Raymie

A "Post Script" to my earlier post regarding my P3D crash problem--I have downloaded and am reading through the Avsim CTD Guide which hopefully will help in my learning how to possibly resolve this problem and any future ones that may occur.. 

My Jetline computer uses an Intel 6700 processor that is not overclocked, I believe a "Gigabyte" motherboard and a 22" Samsung flat screen monitor, 16 meg of RAM and my simulator's HD is a SSD..

Any helpful advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated as I am not a computer tech. 

Raymie

Here is a copy of an app error that might be causing my problem

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 11/24/2017 9:16:24 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Jetline-4702

Description:

Faulting application name: ftxcentral.exe, version: 3.2.3.0, time stamp: 0x59e0d184

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x461a0ff5

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000069e08

Faulting process id: 0x9c4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d36547c8b9ea79

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Raymond\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.2.3.0\ftxcentral.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 2aa08ebf-7557-4682-93f2-3806861c0140

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-24T17:16:24.334043600Z" />

<EventRecordID>52553</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Jetline-4702</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>ftxcentral.exe</Data>

<Data>3.2.3.0</Data>

<Data>59e0d184</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>10.0.15063.0</Data>

<Data>461a0ff5</Data>

<Data>e0434352</Data>

<Data>0000000000069e08</Data>

<Data>9c4</Data>

<Data>01d36547c8b9ea79</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\Raymond\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.2.3.0\ftxcentral.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>2aa08ebf-7557-4682-93f2-3806861c0140</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Here is a copy of the second error that I found in the Windows Event View. Sorry to make this so long as I am learning how to do this. I hope this information can help to determine what is causing my problem.

Log Name: Application

Source: .NET Runtime

Date: 11/24/2017 9:16:24 AM

Event ID: 1026

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Jetline-4702

Description:

Application: ftxcentral.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
at System.IO.File.ReadLines(System.String)
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller.GetDirectoriesFromSceneryLibrary()
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller.<UninstallEsp>b__8_0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller+<UninstallEsp>d__8.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller+<Uninstall>d__6.MoveNext()
at Orbx.FTXCentral.ViewModel.ProductViewModel+<UninstallProduct>d__56.MoveNext()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at Orbx.FTXCentral.App.Main()

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-24T17:16:24.268870400Z" />

<EventRecordID>52552</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Jetline-4702</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Application: ftxcentral.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
at System.IO.File.ReadLines(System.String)
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller.GetDirectoriesFromSceneryLibrary()
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller.&lt;UninstallEsp&gt;b__8_0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller+&lt;UninstallEsp&gt;d__8.MoveNext()
at Orbx.Download.ProductUninstaller+&lt;Uninstall&gt;d__6.MoveNext()
at Orbx.FTXCentral.ViewModel.ProductViewModel+&lt;UninstallProduct&gt;d__56.MoveNext()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at Orbx.FTXCentral.App.Main()

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

There is a pinned topic about this issue at the top of this forum -

I understand you might have already been aware of this issue but want to be sure.  Do not know if it had been fixed by installing the Windows Update v1709.  I originally heard some had it fixed; some not.  I was hoping Lockheed Martin would put out a definitive statement indicating if it had been fixed or not.

When P3Dv3 is first started up, it is loading everything in your dll.xml's (there are two, one in the same folder as your scenery.cfg - the default location; one in the same folder as your p3d.cfg - old default location.  Both dll.xml's must exist).  Based on your description that you heard the dinging noise, your sim ran out of memory.  Sometimes this error will show up, sometimes not and will just shutdown.  The error is common.  I got the error when I disabled XMLTools in the dll.xml located in the same folder as the scenery.cfg.  Make sure your dll.xml has this entry.  If not, then you might want to rename the dll.xml to dll.xml.off, restart P3D and the default dll.xml will be installed.  It will not have all of the other entries in the new dll.xml and, if the sim now starts up with the default, then there was a problem with one of the modules in the dll.xml, most likely the XMLTools entry.

For the FTX Central error, it has been fixed in the past by renaming your scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.off, restarting P3D and letting P3D install the default.  Then start up FTX Central 3.  If that does not work, then I would try uninstalling it and then reinstall it but it does appear to be properly installed.  It that does not work, go to FTX Forums and post your issue there in their FTX Central Forum.  The kernelbase.dll error was the result of you trying to start FTX Central, not P3D.  There is no known fix for kernelbase errors.  Page 30, AVSIM CTD Guide are suggestions I found by Googling the error across the Internet and finding solutions that worked for others.  Think, if you can fix the FTX Central error, you will fix the kernelbase.dll error.

Thanks for a very thorough and complete explanation of your issues and the steps you took to fix.  Greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 7 shows how to search the Event Viewer and exactly where to look.  Looking at the Administrative Events will show you everything.  I like the AppCrashView program described at the beginning of the guide with a link to the product as it interprets Windows Error Reports and shows more information. Still, the Event Viewer and AppCrashView do not provide sufficient information to fix a problem.  They provide clues like the Faulting Module was the KernelBase.dll or something like that.  The kernelbase.dll has something to do with memory.  If you are running an application and the application cannot find something or the object is corrupted, it will throw this error (better it do that than just crash w/o an error).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your helpful reply regarding the issue and I have printed a copy of it. I have been going through the Avsim CTD Guide and finding it very helpful at this time. 

Since I experienced this problem  loading P3D, I decided to enable the Windows 10 updates function--had it disabled due to the security update that was causing P3D 3.4 to crash. Maybe the update you have mentioned will be a help for me.

Also, I am at the point of what you noted in your post--I found the "dll.xml"--two of them--one in the same folder as the P3D cfg. file and one in ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Scenery folder. I am assuming that I should either rename (dll.xml.off) or place both of them in a temp folder. I will do the same for the exe.xml.

I posted the two event viewer errors due to the fact I could not find an error dealing with P3D close to the time I tried to open it, thinking these two might be causing the issue. I will try your suggestion regarding FTX Central. I saw several past posts regarding FTX Central issues in the Orbx forum. Will post there if necessary.

I have downloaded AppCrashView and tried to use it. In opening it, I do not find anything listed like what is in the printed picture included int he CTD guide. Not sure if I have to do something else in order to see any error information via this app. Will have to read through the instructions again that came with the program.

Finally, thanks for all your time and efforts in helping us simmers who are experiencing these CTD issues. It is greatly appreciated.

Raymie

Hi Jim,

In case you should read this post--just wanted to let you know it looks like I have my P3D back! I isolated the noted XML's into temp. folder and fired up P3D. All seems to work well so far after two flights. Again, thank you for your helpful input and a big thanks to the individual(s) who put together and made available the Avsim CTD guide. I will continue to read through it to better understand what's out there in case I should experience another CTD.

Regarding the FTX Central errors earlier posted, I will continue to monitor the Event Viewer to see if there are any more errors. None have shown up since. If need be, I will follow your advice as you previously noted. Also, I clicked on the AppCrash View exe. and it now has several entries. Nothing to do with flight sim.

Finally, for your own information in case you have not read about it-- MS is up to it again--messing with us who are using P3D version 3 or earlier (32 bit). The latest Windows OS update creates another error (not sure if it is isolated to Win 10 or if it affects Win 8 & 7. The latest update to the next build number creates a weird named error called "Creating Child Window" error. I did the shift + command to monitor some pop-up windows and each time a placard appeared noting this error. It also happened using the "A" key for cabin views. For me, it did not crash P3D as I selected okay and the flight continued. However, I lost the use of that pop-up window once the error occurred. I Googled this error and found information leading back to the latest MS update dated 11-25. What I did was to roll back that Windows update to the previous build update and then disable the Windows update function again. While doing my second flight, that seemed to cure this issue. This is becoming a real pain in the rear & it may force many of us to update to version 4 of P3D to find the safety of 64 bit environment..

Thanks again Jim for your help!

Raymie 

17 hours ago, raymie said:

Also, I am at the point of what you noted in your post--I found the "dll.xml"--two of them--one in the same folder as the P3D cfg. file and one in ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Scenery folder. I am assuming that I should either rename (dll.xml.off) or place both of them in a temp folder. I will do the same for the exe.xml.

The two dll.xml's are as intended.  The one in the same folder as your scenery.cfg is the new default location.  The one in the same folder as your p3d.cfg is the old default and some developer's still use it.  I tried to merge the files once and get rid of the one in the same folder as the p3d.cfg and got lots of crashes.  So leave the one in the same folder as the p3d.cfg alone.  It won't hurt anyone or anything.  If you move or disable the one in the same folder as the scenery.cfg (the default), P3D will rebuild that dll.xml with default entries.

6 hours ago, raymie said:

I have my P3D back! I isolated the noted XML's into temp. folder and fired up P3D. All seems to work well so far after two flights.

One of the best fixes for P3D is disabling the dll.xml's.  The file may have gotten corrupted or one of the modules it is trying to load is missing, out-of-date, programmed wrong, or corrupted.  I have found that the CMeteoXml, installed by Carenado, will crash P3D AND FSX.  When they upgraded to P3Dv4 compatibility, I thought they had fixed it as it was working perfectly one day then suddenly many unexplained errors.  Disabled it and the crashes went away.  If you have it, disable it.  Just change the Disabled False line to Disabled True and save.  I have found the module is not required or at least it does not affect any of the Carenado aircraft.  I cannot find anything that tells me what it does other than crash P3D and FSX.

The FSUIPC utility will cause crashes if it is not up-to-date.  When it is not up-to-date, it will work one day and not the next; the next hour, but not the next.  It is frequently updated.

6 hours ago, raymie said:

The latest update to the next build number creates a weird named error called "Creating Child Window" error.

Thanks for the info but this is a well-known issue with P3DV3 (not V4) and FSX (in other words, 32 bit applications).  I looked in my add/remove programs and Windows Update updated Microsoft Visual 2005 with SP1.  This is a required visual for FSX/FSX-SE operation and required by P3D for legacy purposes.  Most likely updated to fix security issues but it and the other Microsoft Visuals broke a lot of things.  There's a long topic in the FSX Forum about this problem for FSX. I disabled all of my FTX/Orbx scenery and I currently can use FSX 100% of the time without an error as long as I do not touch any of the menu items.  Sometimes, not always, when I open up a menu item, I'll get an unsupported operation error.  Still fighting hard to get a Child Window error.  I did once a week or two ago but have not seen it since.  When I look at AppCrashView for the faulting module for these crashes, it is shown as ntdll.dll as the fault. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.  Of course, one can roll back to the previous version which I did once but, for me, I decided to move to v1709 as it increases my fps in P3Dv4 and the sim seems a lot smoother.  I plan on using P3DV4 most of the time but have been using FSX just to see if I can figure out what was causing the unsupported operation error.  I couldn't but it was fun trying.  The Creating Child Window and Unsupport Operation errors are not new to flight simulation.  If you good them with FSX in the line, you will see they are old, old, errors.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks again Jim for your helpful and informative reply regarding the background of the Creating Child Window and the other error you mentioned.I will most likely move to P3D v. 4 in the future, however what is holding me back is the process of doing so. It looks rather complicated as I read through Poppet's information about it. There is still a large learning curve for me regarding these items.

Take care,

Raymie. 

Hi Raymie,

Not sure about the complications you read through Elaine's information about it but P3D is a new sim when it is upgraded to a new version.  You have V1, V2, V3, and V4.  Each new version must be purchased.  The changes within each version are free.  It is like when Microsoft ran things.  A new simulator was developed every two years, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and FSX (then the Microsoft Aces Team, the developers of FSX and previous versions, were released by Microsoft and told there would be no further development).  P3D is an extension of FSX and uses the same engine (if you have FSX and P3D on your computer and try to run FSX while P3D is running, it will warn you that FSX is already running).  The largest change from V3 to V4 is the fact the sim went from 32 bit to 64 bit.  A 64 bit application has more virtual address space (about 7 TBs) whereas a 32 bit application like, P3Dv3 or FSX, has only 4GB's of address space.  Thus V4 will not run out of memory (VAS).  You will still have to be careful with your sliders but not as much as in V3 or in FSX.  P3D will be upgraded to V5 around May 2019.  Like those who still own and use FS9, you do not have to upgrade when each version is released.  You can stay at P3DV3 forever but think you will miss out on any upgrades to the latest technology and many new product addons will not be compatible with older versions. 

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your helpful thoughts regarding the background info on P3D. Initially, I did not know how P3D originated--that LM purchased the rights to MS Flightsim--I was quite surprised at the similarities between the two. Now I understand why. 

When I purchased previous editions of MS Flight simulator (98, 2000, 2004 & FSX)--it was the "boxed editions--put the CD's in the CD Rom and follow the instructions. At the end submit the license information via the internet connection and one was good to go. Purchasing P3D via the LM website looks like the easy part--it is the process that must take place from there--the steps to successfully download, install and license validation as well as the uninstall process and license deactivation that must take place for P3D v. 3;4..

Elaine's "How to" information is quite clear and detailed--yet it seems essential that I use a download accelerator due to the large size of P3D and several other helpful software programs that I do not know about. This is why I had P3D 3.4 pre-loaded when I ordered my Jetline computer a year ago. I also wanted to wait on pulling the trigger on version 4 until all of the addon vendors have upgraded their products to 64 bit sys. It looks like most have done so by now.

I know the advantages to the 64bit environment as you mentioned as well as it will be only be a matter of time updating will be essential for the reasons you also mentioned. If version 5 is available around May of next year, I will most likely purchase it. I still may take the leap of faith and go through this process in order to purchase, install and enjoy P3D v. 4xx.

Thanks again for your helpful thoughts on this as it is greatly appreciated. Being part of this Avsim forum has helped me a lot in better understanding the dynamics behind the flight sim environment.

Take care,

Raymie 

1 hour ago, raymie said:

until all of the addon vendors have upgraded their products to 64 bit sys. It looks like most have done so by now.

Not all products are fully compatible.  For instance, FTX/Orbx products were not made for 64 bit systems but they are compatible.  FTX/Orbx has yet to change to the addon.xml system so we have to be careful of the priorities in the scenery.cfg as wells as in the Addon Manager.  One slip and you could have an unexplained crash.  If the scenery.cfg or any of the xml files are not coded properly, they could cause a crash.  So we have a long way to go for full compatibility.

1 hour ago, raymie said:

If version 5 is available around May of next year, I will most likely purchase it.

As I stated, the new versions are released every two years and P3DV4 was released in May of this year.  So, May 2019 at the earliest.  Sometimes they will release a new version earlier (like P3DV4) and I get all upset as I paid for the expensive version.  Although I'm a multi-billionaire (or so Lockheed thinks), making me and others to pay for a new version in less than two years is a bit much even with the cheaper version (all I can say about that as discussions of the Lockheed EULA is prohibited here).  I guess I could have waited until P3Dv5 or V6 was released and I might just skip V5 and wait for V6.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM