Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Do I need HDR 4K Monitor?

Rob

I too enjoy the tech stuff. I use to work on Air Force flight sims (F-4Es and F-111Ds) back in the 70s-80s. Now my desktop computer and X-plane runs rings around what we could simulate. I do miss the full size cockpit realism that those sims had. The box (Singer-Link) built it, was a whole lot harder to fly than the real jet. Having only flown general aviation until that point, when I got a flight in a Real F-4C, I felt just as comfortable in it as I did in my Cessna 150.

Back to the TV/monitors.  I am totally blind in one eye and have a macular hole in the good one which is only corrected to 20/50 to 20/70 depending on the time of day I test. Even with this low vision, I can definitively tell the difference between HD and 4K and HDR. That is why I want to move up from my 40"

Samsung 5200 HD to the 55" 4K HDR. Not only will it be easier to see but the scale of the instrument panel will be more life size hopefully.

Hopefully I am around long enough to see stem cells regenerate eyes and other parts that seem to wear out to quickly sometimes. Till then my flying will have to be limited to desktop flights.

Terry

Quick update: I did buy the Samsung last night, but opt'd for the 65" version (8500).  Not had time to unpack or set it up yet, probably get to that this weekend or next ... I'm reworking my uSimPit and decided to go larger size TV/monitor and sit back a little further along with some other changes to my flight deck (going for a world record 38 GoFlight modules).  

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Hope you have a big desk to set the new screen on. I would be interested in how the data fonts in the upper left corner of X-plane 11 show up on that larger of 4K screen. Does the larger screen size make them more readable.

I tried using the DSR setting on my Nvidia 980 and when it drives the x-plane video to 4K (also set to 4K in the program too) I need a magnifying glass to read said data block. Good news is the video looks better than just at 1080p but on the small 40" Samsung 5200, everything gets smaller as the resolution goes up.

I am not sure the proper term, but when you upscale your windows 10 to compensate for the higher resolution of the 4K or higher displays, it does not translate into the X-plane program. Any idea how to get X-plane to do that?

Will be waiting to see your report on the new Samsung 65"

Terry

51 minutes ago, Cat_Dad said:

Does the larger screen size make them more readable.

Yes, the native resolution remains the same, but text and icons will appear larger.

51 minutes ago, Cat_Dad said:

but when you upscale your windows 10 to compensate for the higher resolution of the 4K or higher displays, it does not translate into the X-plane program. Any idea how to get X-plane to do that?

Up-scaling only happens when source resolution is lower than native resolution.  Typically you want to avoid any up-scaling and always go with native resolution.  

Using Windows 10 "scaling" means you still operate the monitor at it's native resolution (3840 x 2160 or whatever it might be for the 4K monitor) but you scale font's, icon, etc. by a selected percent (125%, 150%, etc.) ... this essentially makes everything "larger" but you have less screen "space".  

Games, Applications, Sims can be impacted by OS scaling ... depends how the game/sim/app is coded.  But as far as scaling in Xplane 11, you can set that via their UI in their graphics tab "User Interface Size" default is 100%, increase that value.  I leave the setting at 100% ... I think this setting is still present in 11.10b8 but I honestly haven't checked, just assumed it would still be present.

I personally don't use scaling as I prefer to address the issue with larger physical TV/monitor sizes.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: yes a new desk was ordered also

Rob,

That ability to make the graphics page in x-plane 11 only sets the text in those shaded/blue  areas of those pages. Increasing them to 200 percent helps reading items listed there So far I have not found how to enlarge that data block that has the fps and gpu/cpu usage data in the upper left corner of the tv or compute monitor.

I would guess that this would need to be re-coded in order to be readable at the 4K resolution on the "smaller" 40" or less screen. That is why I am interested in seeing if your new 65" screen allows this small data info block to be read comfortably on a screen as large as yours and also with a native resolution of 4K, not one that is manipulated to simulate 4K as mine is with the DSR setting in the GTX 980.

Terry

On 11/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

Quick update: I did buy the Samsung last night, but opt'd for the 65" version (8500).  Not had time to unpack or set it up yet, probably get to that this weekend or next ... I'm reworking my uSimPit and decided to go larger size TV/monitor and sit back a little further along with some other changes to my flight deck (going for a world record 38 GoFlight modules).  

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Have you had a chance to use the new Samsung 65" yet?

Terry

16 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

Have you had a chance to use the new Samsung 65" yet?

Hi Terry,

I'm still working on my uSimPit version 3.0 ... but I did quickly connect the Samsung 65" to my main FS PC just to make sure all was good ... worked perfectly at 30Hz and 60Hz, excellent picture quality, very happy with it so far, but need to finish my uSimPit V3.0 ... here is a quick "positioning" ... nothing connected just getting the space/position of components arranged so I know what I need to do in terms of cable lengths.  Then I can start connecting and cleaning up wiring mess ...

Cheers Rob.

uSimPit_v3_4_Web.jpg

uSimPit_v3_3_Web.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

m still working on my uSimPit version 3.0 ... but I did quickly connect the Samsung 65" to my main FS PC just to make sure all was good .

Wow, impressive.
Main problem I found with my 65" was balancing positioning it low enough to avoid neck strain verses having the MCP etc cutting off the lower parts of it.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Agree, still have some wiggle room for that issue - in terms of being able to view unobstructed, move my power on delay sequencer and audio interface under my desk via hanging rack mount, then drop monitor an inch and raise seat an inch or two.  I have the monitor as far back as I can get on the desk which helps view point and still easy to read text.

Cheers, Rob.

Ref reading the text.

Are the on screen text (gpu/cpu fps) data and menus larger now on the 65" screen vs the smaller one you replaced? That is the question I need to know before buying a larger screen from my current 40" model. Since I am visually challenged, sitting 1 to 2 feet from it is actually good for me where as for a normal vision person this might be a pain in the neck as you described above.

Are those two monitors on the sides only for support stuff or are you planning on a wrap around cockpit view?

Terry

Screen resolution doesn't change (on 4K monitors), only the physical size changes, so the larger you go in monitor size the larger everything (text, icons, etc.) will appear to be ... it also depends on your view distance to the monitor, the further away from the monitor your eye point the smaller text icons will appear to be and visa-versa.

The two side monitors are for the networked PC (right side of desk) that has Flight planning/moving map on the right side monitor (this is also a 4K monitor but much smaller and hence will have smaller text/icons but it's closer to me), the left side monitor (1440p) will be used to display weather (HiFi AS4 weather map).  The trick is getting everything positioned correctly so that nothing is obstructed at my POV ... the way I have it now is going to be close to final positioning.  I have a overhead shotgun mic (not setup yet) that I use for voice (video tutorials, voice activation, etc.) ... it swings in/out as needed and doesn't obstruct my view.

TrackIR normally sits on top of my monitor, but I've stopped using TrackIR since I starting using Chaseplane with a XBOX one controller so not sure if I'll hook that backup.

I also have not mounted my two keyboards yet as I might go with a keyboard/mouse switch which allows for just one keyboard/mouse to control both computers.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I think you have successfully answered my question about larger screens equal larger print.  Thanks.

With that large of a screen, is the curved surface a help bringing in the edges (video) ? Also noticed the smaller screens did not catch any glare from the room lighting but the big one did.

I only worked on two real flight sims, a F-4E and a F-111D. Both were built by Singer-Link back in the late  60s / early 70s. Neither had visual systems when they came out of the factory but were modified later once CGI technology became available. The F-4 had 3 monitors that were tied together with a hood and beam split-er assemble and the F-111 moved the entire cockpit on rails into a rectangular box that had the monitors mounted inside.Looked a little like the airline sim today except they are  bolted to the motion base In both cases, once you were in the cockpit and in position, everything looked real as it could given the early state of CGI graphics of the late 70s/early 80s. Sims before this used the giant model boards. that The scenery mounted to a giant board and a camera flew along taking video which was then displayed in the cockpit.

Even today on our worst day with sim/video problems in X-plane, or FSX , we still are light years ahead of what  the technology was back then. To think that you could run this on a desktop computer was unheard of. Those kind of computers were only starting to show up as the TRS-80 and very early Apples and Commodores.

Can you imagine what the next 25-50 years might bring? Might the holographic decks we see in Star Trek series become the norm in simulation? I for one hope so.

Terry

9 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

With that large of a screen, is the curved surface a help bringing in the edges (video) ?

The curve is very minor, doesn't really make much of a difference.

Wow, that's an impressive bit of history of flight simulators.  What aspect did you work on?

I'm sure back in the 60's/70's that was bleeding edge technology.  Being a TRS-80 Color Computer owner (my first computer I used to teach myself programming) ... IBM PCs were way out of my price range while in high school and working part time jobs after school and summer.  Took me what seemed like an eternity delivering pizza's (thanks to tips) before I could come up with most of the money for my first computer (about $1000 circa 1980).  Of course I had to get a flight simulator ... found this gem on YouTube:

and version 2 ...

The memories.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Folks,

Great information - I'm so torn - 21:9 or 4K... I really don't know if I'd like moving my head all around with that massive display - 21:9 easier to move and slap on a desk somewhere...

Thanks for actually specifying a model - that seems missing from many of the 4K discussions...

Rob - that 65" you posted pix of - is the flat one you linked on the previous page ?

More to ponder...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7