Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Do I need HDR 4K Monitor?

Does X-Plane 11 support HDR 4K video or just 4K? Is the image/resolution/detail in the program high enough to be displayed on a HDR 4K screen?

Terry

What's the difference between the two?

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

On tv video, HDR seems to make the colors/image brighter and more clear than just the plain 4K resolution. That is why I am asking if this will do the same thing for X-plane. Right now I do not see this difference when I move the HDR slider full right. I only have a 1080p 40 inch Samsung tv as my monitor.

Terry

1 hour ago, Cat_Dad said:

On tv video, HDR seems to make the colors/image brighter and more clear than just the plain 4K resolution. That is why I am asking if this will do the same thing for X-plane. Right now I do not see this difference when I move the HDR slider full right. I only have a 1080p 40 inch Samsung tv as my monitor.

The chances are that your HD TV is not HDR-compatible.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I realize my HD tv cannot display a HDR quality image.

My question to the forum is does it make any difference running X-plane 11 on a 4K only tv or a "4K HDR" tv. These are two different displays.  That and a HDR quality tv costs a lot more than a plain 4K one.

That is my question.

Terry

You need to find out the color depth in terms bits per color (sometimes called per channel, per component, per sample).  Less expensive monitors are 8bit, then hybrid 10bit, then and full 10bit, then 12bit , and finally 14bit LUT and I think 16 bit LUT.  HDR is a rather generic term, but it's defined as 10bit color. 

Don't confuse bits per pixel with bits per color 10bit per color across 3 colors Red Green Blue (RGB) is 30bit per pixel.

One of my 4K monitors is 10bit, but I have no source that is 10bit so I couldn't tell the difference visually.  But what you would look for is "banding" and color accuracy when looking at the various 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, etc. assuming the source also.

Also need to factor in the compression (if any) and the port spec (HDMI vs. DisplayPort) and frequency of operation ... as you increase the number of bits and frequency (Hz) to represent a color you increase the need for higher data bandwidth across the connections/cables and overall system demands are higher both from source to monitor.

I'm not aware of any flight simulator that goes beyond 8bit color so technically they aren't "true HDR".  To add more confusion, people interchange PBR with HDR ... PBR (Physically Based Rendering) is a method of render "light" it doesn't define a color range only operates on a color range.  HDR is High Dynamic Range which is specific to number of colors (the color range):

8bit color = 24bit pixel = 16.7 million possible unique colors  (this is what flight simulators currently work with)
10bit color = 30bit pixel = 1.073 billion possible unique colors  (HDR - there are some 3D games that support 10bit at source)
12bit color = 36bit pixel = 68.7 billion possible unique colors
16bit color = 48bit pixel = 281.5 trillion possible unique colors

Then there is also the addition of the Alpha channel which increase the bit per pixel

You'll only see a difference if the source material matches the monitors max spec, however, you'll see a big difference based on the level of compression (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, etc.).  Higher Hz monitors will operate at lower bit per color (most around 6bit so only 262,144 colors) ... if you look at the specs of a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor take a much closer look at it's bit per color support.  You don't want 6bit per color high refresh rate monitor when operating a 8bit source like you'll get in flight simulators.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Ron for the info.

After reviewing your explanation of HDR and the definition of HDR in X-plane 11, I still do not have a complete grasp on how each work/not together in the simulation. The sim seems to have a lot more items mixed under the HDR banner where as HDR in the true video sense you describe does not.

Since I only have a GTX 980 video card, I might not have  enough power to drive t a 4K or 4K Hdr TV without going to say a GTX 1080ti. The 980 can power my Samsung 40 inch HD with FPS from 30 to 70 depending on the complexity of the scenery.

It looks like a video card update would be necessary to use the visual performance of the 4K or 4K HDR TV when flying X-plane. Both of these items are still quite pricey, even with all of the so called pr-Christmas sales.

Again , thanks for your response.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I'll try to simplify ... it doesn't matter if your 4K TV is 8bit or 10bit (HDR) as both P3D and XPlane11 only operate with 8bit color (24bit pixel - RGB).

The 1080Ti will certainly perform much better at 4K resolution than the 980, especially with AA processing.  BUT, I'd recommend you try the 980 at 4K first and compromise the graphics settings to see what you come up with in terms of FPS and what is and isn't acceptable to you ... ya never know, you might find a workable compromise you can live with to avoid the cost of a new 1080Ti.

One of the "key" selling points for me when I buy 4K TV/monitors is how well they work at 30Hz in addition to 60Hz.  Not all 4K monitors are the same, some will experience "lag" when operating at 30Hz, you want to avoid that brand/model.

As far as your question about "detail" and resolution ... that really depends on your view distance to the monitor and the monitor size ... if you view from about 3ft away then there will be a sweet spot of size to resolution (I would recommend no smaller than 32" and no bigger than 55" if you view from 3ft away).  There are "adjustments" that need to happen on the application side to support 4K (i.e. increase the size of stars so they are more realistic at 4K resolution) but in most case everything will scale well in 4K. 

4K TV/monitors are very cheap these days (<$300 in the US and some even in the $200 range on Black Friday), it's becoming harder to find new standard HD (1080p) TVs/Monitors.  I'll avoid the discussion on 8K and 16K, but expect more affordable 8K monitors to be coming 2018 and 2019.  Electronics technology continues it's march forward.

Cheers, Rob.

Here is a Samsung TV I'm thinking about picking up to replace my Sony 4K

Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD  
Model: UN55MU6290FXZA

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/6051108.p?skuId=6051108

Manual
Pages 104-107
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201711/20171113111128155/ENG_US_KTMATSCL-3.0.6.pdf

The manual is VERY specific and as far as I can tell it will support 30Hz and 60Hz.  But take note on page 104 where it lists the UHD Input signals for 10bit and 12bit, YCbCr4:2:2 and YCbCr4:2:0 ... the desire signal is YCbCr4:4:4 or RGB 4:4:4.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I too have looked at that Samsung 6290 specs on the Walmart sale page. From what I gathered  looking how to decipher the Samsung model numbers, The higher model series the better quality picture capability you get. At some point though bells and whistles take over and money goes down the big hole.

Have you looked at the curved screens? You get a bigger screen in a smaller footprint. Right now I am looking at a 50 to 55 inch for the desk and maybe a 65 to use as a TV.

Maybe when those 8k plus you were talking about start coming out, the 4s will go down some more.

Terry

If I can make some time I'll probably go pickup the Samsung 8500 (55" curved) sometime this week and test it out and see if I can make it work well at 30Hz.  If not, return it for some other model ... the challenge is getting these 4K TVs to work well at 30Hz.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-curved-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5754303.p?skuId=5754303

I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Rob.

Why limit yourself to only 30 Hz? If your system can do 60 Hz  "Well", would not this be a better more fluid image?

Terry

Your question should be "if my system can do 60 FPS in the simulators I fly" ... the only simulator I use that can do that all maxed out in 4K is iPACs AF2.

30Hz vSync (lock to) means I only need to sustain 30 FPS (in all situations) for fluid/smooth motion ... this allows me to increase the graphic settings for P3D, XP11, FSW.  If I want a 60Hz vSync (lock) that means I need to sustain 60 FPS (in all situations) to avoid long frames (stutters) which requires I reduce graphics settings.  60Hz operation will be much more demanding on one's computing hardware (in terms of being able to render frames fast enough).

The need for Hz really depends on how you fly and what type of motion you perform.  For most GA and Commercial aircraft 30Hz/30FPS should provide adequate fluidity.  For jet fighters or aerobatic aircraft then 60Hz/60FPS is the better option.  If you use TrackIR and your constantly whipping your head around with a sensitive TrackIR profile then you'll need 60Hz.  If you use TrackIR with a less sensitive motion profile and don't have a hyperactive head, then 30Hz will be fine :)

The long standing debate of "fluid" ... I define "fluid" as consistency between rendered frames ... for 30Hz operation if frames are being rendered very consistently at 33ms per frame then that is "fluid".  Same goes with 60Hz, if the frames are being consistently rendered at 16ms per frame then that will be "fluid".

The difference between 30 and 60Hz is the "ability" to display more frames per second ... this is needed when there is rapid motion.  When you pan a camera left to right, if you pan the camera quickly you'll need 60Hz or higher.  If you pan it slowly you'll only need 30Hz.  

But the simple answer to your question ... 60Hz is "better" provided you can sustain 60 FPS in all flight situations.  120Hz is better provided you can sustain/render 120 FPS in all situations, 240Hz is better provided you can sustain/render 240 FPS in all situations. 

The Myth about the human eye not being able to distinguish above 60 Hz is completely false and not based on any "real" scienceJust like the myth that the human eye can't see 4K resolution or 8K resolution or 16K resolution.  The human eye doesn't really operate in terms of FPS or HZ or pixels and what it can do varies by age but overall the eye can distinguish 0.3m at 1km distance ... doing the math that means at 19.6 inches away the eye can distinguish up to 0.0059 of an inch ... if we use a 55" 4K monitor that is 80.11 pixels per inch which is 0.012 of an inch (larger than what the eye can distinguish of 0.0059 of an inch) ... so at a view distance of 19.6 inches from a 55" monitor the human eye will have no problem distinguishing 4K res.  Moving onto 8K res at 55" at 160.21 dots per inch or 0.0062 pixel inch, this is still large enough for the eye to distinguish.  And finally moving to 55" 16K resolution at a 19.6 inch view distance we have 0.0031 of an inch per pixel which would be below the human eye to distinguish.  So at 16K res 55" with 19.6 view distance, the monitor size either needs to increase or the view distance need to decrease in order to be able to distinguish.  So that's the basic formula of deciding "optimal" resolution, size, view distance.

On the frequency side the human brain can respond to visual input at around 100-250ms (varies by individual and age), this is "reaction time" and not the eye's ability to distinguish motion (visual stimulus) which from the studies I've read can be anywhere from 1ms-50ms.  So in other words, there is a wide range from 1000Hz to about 20Hz

My 2 cents,

Cheers, Rob.

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

If I want a 60Hz vSync (lock) that means I need to sustain 60 FPS (in all situations) to avoid long frames (stutters) which requires I reduce graphics settings.

In my experience you don't need to sustain 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor to get smooth graphics. I have a 60Hz monitor and usually get between 40-50 FPS and have a fluid image. If the image is changing quickly I get some tearing (because the frame rate's not matching the refresh rate) but this is easily resolved using vsync. Although it's only supposed to work well at high frame rates, I found (along with a number of others here) that the new fast sync is particularly effective, even at relatively low FPS, and has no noticeable performance hit.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit