Sign in to follow this  
benny1964

unable to copy and paste into FSX

Hi. Just rekindling my passion about flightsim and when I tried to download a plane package, windows explorer shuts down every time I try to put the new plane in the simobjects/airplanes. If there is a thread already existing, I apologize but I could not find anything. Thanks again and it feels very good to be flying again...

Ben

Odd.. Do you have FSX installed in its own root folder or Program Files (x86)?

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ben,

Very odd indeed, is the drive a HDD or SSD,  is it the OS system drive or independent Flight Sim drive, do you have this problem with pasting copied files / folders to "Windows Explorer" in general. (ie; any other drive or folder on your system).
Or is it just the flight simulator's  \SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

Sounds like an OS problem worthy of running   sfc /scannow in the Admin CMD window.
(As administrator)

But more likely......  an alteration to the behaviour of your HDD's power settings. 
In the case where your sim resides on a separate HDD (Spinning disk) the drive may just have spun down into power saving mode and is not yet ready to perform the task until it has woken from this spindown mode. You can change the spindown and power saving mode in the OS "Power options" to never enter this mode, your HDDrives will always then be ready to perform at a moments notice.

Or you can wait a few extra moments for the drive to become fully alive once more, then past those new files to the \SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

airernie: thanks for the reply. I have it installed in x86.

jethro: thanks for the reply.  I guess it is installed on the HHD (hard drive, I am assuming). I have performed the sfc/scannow and the chkdsk /r/f (which took almost an entire day...lol) and to no avail. Both scans reported no issues. I will try to cut and paste other types of files to make sure the extent of the problem. 

Thanks to both of you.

Ben

here is an update. I downloaded a unzip program (7-zip) and used it to unzip the 727 file. Once unzip, I was able to move it into the appropriate file in FSX. I remembered that while using World of AI, I had to click on "as an Administrator" and it gave me the idea that there was an issue with some kind of protocol (as you can tell,  I am not computer savvy...) But it works now, so thanks everyone but.......got to fly!

Ben

The reason you had problems was do to UAC.   This protects any program installed in Program Files.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: