Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Aerozone Cheyenne Sounds - Anyone?

1 hour ago, whamil77 said:

I picked up the Arezone Cheyenne II sound set.  The raw sounds are pretty good but the mix in the sound.cfg file is awful.  I will make some changes to the file and try to find something that works. 

Bill, Looking forward to see what you can do with them, good luck :-)

Cheers

Martin

I delved into the Arezone sound set and it is a hot mess.  The .cfg calls for sounds that aren't present and there are sounds present that aren't called for in the .cfg.  The reverser sounds are unusable in their present form and will have to be modified.  I can make it work, but it will take some time. 

I know folks have different tastes and all, but even if I get a good mix with the Arezone sounds I'm pretty sure I will still like the mix of the original Carenado and DA sounds better.  What do folks not like about the sound set in the mod?

Hi Bill,

It seems like you should be able to hear the change in engine sounds a little more when you either pull the power back or pull the props back. It was mentioned above that with constant speed props the sound of pulling the power back would be pretty shuttle, so the video I posted above must be the pilot pulling the props back because you can't see what he is actually doing but you can hear the change in pitch right after takeoff, right before reaching the end of the runway. So with the Arezone sounds you hardly hear this at all? The other thing I notice is when cruising at altitude there is this constant low back ground sound that sounds like static in the head phones, I thought it might be the wind sound file and turned it way down in the cfg but I still hear it. I do think they are better then the default but would like to figure out how to get rid of that annoying constant background static sound when cruising if nothing else. I don't notice it with any other turbo prop.

Cheers

Martin

1 hour ago, MartinRex007 said:

It seems like you should be able to hear the change in engine sounds a little more when you either pull the power back or pull the props back. It was mentioned above that with constant speed props the sound of pulling the power back would be pretty shuttle

Here's a perfect example. As soon as he passes over the highway he reduces the MP from 55 to 45 with zero sound change.https://youtu.be/eOXxUApaaWo?t=48  

9 hours ago, whamil77 said:

What do folks not like about the sound set in the mod?

Hi Bill,

Like you - I think many of us are constant tweakers - always in search of the proverbial holy grail... Honestly - I didn't think this sound set was too bad in the default - Carenado really seems to be hit or miss with the sounds... I completely hated the sound set they included with the Cessna 310 - so I immediately swapped it for the MilViz/TSS set I already owned and it surprised me how much it changed my overall picture of the aircraft...

I did do a complete swap of the DA sounds on the Cheyenne as well (basic folder swap) - and tried that for a while...

Dave did a superb job with the TSS Twotter set - plus the new ignition sounds - I like it a great deal - honestly - I haven't tried your set yet (missing in initial download)... I've watched tons of RW videos on the Cheyenne trying to get a feel for what it should sound like... I'll download your file again this weekend (if the link is good) and give it a shot as well... The great thing about sounds is you can select them by paint so you can do side by side comparisons to decide what you like best...

6 hours ago, J35OE said:

Here's a perfect example. As soon as he passes over the highway he reduces the MP from 55 to 45 with zero sound change.https://youtu.be/eOXxUApaaWo?t=48  

Nice demonstration in a very cool bird...

Hi Folks,

Question: What's the proper power settings you would you want to use on approach and when would you - lol - "retard" the throttles with a bird like this - in the actual fare ??? We used to get alarms on approach in the DA model if we pulled the throttle back too far - that doesn't seem to happen here... I'm assuming the alarm we used to get was because we weren't making enough electrical power at the setting as opposed to any real issue with the engines ?

Greatly appreciate everyone's interest/efforts/discussion on this bird...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

8 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

Hi Bill,

It seems like you should be able to hear the change in engine sounds a little more when you either pull the power back or pull the props back. It was mentioned above that with constant speed props the sound of pulling the power back would be pretty shuttle, so the video I posted above must be the pilot pulling the props back because you can't see what he is actually doing but you can hear the change in pitch right after takeoff, right before reaching the end of the runway. So with the Arezone sounds you hardly hear this at all? The other thing I notice is when cruising at altitude there is this constant low back ground sound that sounds like static in the head phones, I thought it might be the wind sound file and turned it way down in the cfg but I still hear it. I do think they are better then the default but would like to figure out how to get rid of that annoying constant background static sound when cruising if nothing else. I don't notice it with any other turbo prop.

Cheers

Martin

What you hear is indeed the pilot reducing prop RPM.  At that high power setting a small reduction in throttle will cause only an imperceptible change in propulsion noise and absolutely none in sound pitch. 

28 minutes ago, whamil77 said:

What you hear is indeed the pilot reducing prop RPM.  At that high power setting a small reduction in throttle will cause only an imperceptible change in propulsion noise and absolutely none in sound pitch. 

Makes sense, thanks!

On ‎05‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 1:21 PM, scottb613 said:

We used to get alarms on approach in the DA model if we pulled the throttle back too far - that doesn't seem to happen here... I'm assuming the alarm we used to get was because we weren't making enough electrical power at the setting as opposed to any real issue with the engines ?

The alarm due to loss of elec power doesn't make sense IMO.  Maybe it's like on the Q400. If you retard the power levers below flight idle when not on ground, an alarm sounds.

• Upvote 1

Hi J35OE,

Hah - that's probably it - LOL - I'm still in little Cessna mode - I think we had a light for what I explained... I'll look more closely at the "Power Lever" to see if it denotes "Flight Idle" - - - off the top of my head I don't recall... Thanks for the info - always trying to fly as realistically as practical...

Regards,
Scott

If you are on approach and hear the "alarm", could that be the "gear warning" you hear? That's a safety feature when throttle lever(s) are in reduced power mode.

Hi Raymie,

Good thought - but - I don't think that was the case with the DA model - gear were down - full flaps - I think if you retarded the power lever in flight to where the torque went below 400 an audible alarm would sound - and the alarm annunciator would light... In all the years I flew the thing (FS9 => P3D) - I never really looked into the root cause - just made a point of keeping my torque above 400 in flight...

Thanks for the response and good discussion...

Regards,
Scott 

I think soundsets are a matter of personal preferences. While the Carendao set for the 31-T is not bad imho, I don't like the very dominant jet-whine reacting to every power change. I have never flown a turboprop in real life so it's just my expectation not being met. I am using the TSS King Air sounds for the PA42 and will give Bill's Sounds a deeper try for the 31-T as I have just installed his mod. From what I've learned from videos the Arezone Turbine Duke Soundset seems interesting to me. These PT-6A powered aircraft should sound similar to some amount.

@ Scott: I am with J35OE. The alarm sounds below flight idle. To my understanding the large diameter of the props and their rotation produce a large amount of drag - thus a certain amount of power is necessary in order to maintain sufficient airspeed. As the Turboprop model of the Majestic Q400 seems to be fairly accurate and is my only turboprop-"flying" expierience, I think reducing Power to zero results in a pretty heavy and immediate loss of airspeed. Taking this "expierience" in account I assume the Cheyenne is flown  with a powersetting of around 600 lbsft torque to maintain at least blue line speed (you don't want to lose an engine below that speed) to the touchdown zone where power is slowly reduced until she settles down. The classic flare as it's done in pistone engine planes (I can't recall how often my FI ordered to" pull the yoke all the way to the belly" or said "oh look, she's still flying" when i didn't) does not occur in these birds afaik. Therfore I think the Carenado FDE is not that bad.

Tom

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

24 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

The alarm sounds below flight idle. To my understanding the large diameter of the props and their rotation produce a large amount of drag - thus a certain amount of power is necessary in order to maintain sufficient airspeed. As the Turboprop model of the Majestic Q400 seems to be fairly accurate and is my only turboprop-"flying" expierience, I think reducing Power to zero results in a pretty heavy and immediate loss of airspeed. Taking this "expierience" in account I assume the Cheyenne is flown  with a powersetting of around 600 lbsft torque to maintain at least blue line speed (you don't want to lose an engine below that speed) to the touchdown zone where power is slowly reduced until she settles down. 

Must be a bug in the FDE if flight idle still produces 400ft-lb torque. You can land most turboprops at idle. Even the Q400 (the simulated and the real one).

Speed drops faster at idle but you get used to it.  

Flying at blue line (or even faster) is a strange habit that some sim pilots have developed.

There's no reason to grossly exceed the correct approach speed and you will not be able to achieve the landing distance quoted in the manual! 

In case of the PA31T the difference between VREF and VYSE is 15kts!  VMCA is way below VREF  in the PA31T.

Hi J35OE,

Hah - that blue line thing with twins might be a wider distributed misconception than mere flight simmers - had a similar discussion on AOPA - some guys were pretty experienced - most - stated flying the blue line on approach was the way to do it and "that was the way they were trained"... Honestly - as I've only had very limited twin time and not as PIC - it's a habit I picked up as well... Just for any that read this and don't know - I believe the blue line on the AS gauge is best single engine climb speed...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hah - that blue line thing with twins might be a wider distributed misconception than mere flight simmers - had a similar discussion on AOPA - some guys were pretty experienced - most - stated flying the blue line on approach was the way to do it and "that was the way they were trained"... Honestly - as I've only had very limited twin time and not as PIC - it's a habit I picked up as well... Just for any that read this and don't know - I believe the blue line on the AS gauge is best single engine climb speed...

Just head over to the aviation-safety.net and see how often GA planes crash and how many overruns occur!  I always loved the 'I learned it that way' phrase. 

Yes, blue line (VYSE) is single engine best rate of climb. It would be a bit more understandable but still wrong (if they all disregard VREF and VMCA) if it would be (VXSE) best angle of climb. 

In case of the PA31T this would mean a much more reasonable 10kt lower speed.

• Upvote 2