Sign in to follow this  
colz99

[ORBX] What to buy

Hello fellow simmers,

as ORBX Products are reduced drastically and I really wanna up my sim I‘m kind of not decided on what I should buy. About me; I fly big jets only, no GA aircraft. As I‘m from Germany I fly mainly in Europe but at the moment I prefer long hauls to destinations all over the world. Now I already have FTX Global. And there is vector and Europe LC. From my understandings vector displays coastlines and stuff like streets more accurately? Then LC Europe ensures that I get more accurate mesh (Alps for example?). Do I get that right? Now there are also the regions like ORBX Germany South. In case I would have Vector and OpenLC Europe, what would be the role of Germany South? Does it completely redo Southern Germany with custom buildings etc? So in that case southern Germany would be even more accurate than the rest of Europe with vector and openLC?

Lastly, what would you recommend me to buy? Are there sales more often on ORBX products? 

Cheers

You've got the gist of it.  If you prefer long haul stuff, then I would recommend at you get OpenLC EU, and maybe OpenLC NA (if you're flying across the pond).  I also just picked up Vector with the sale, and it is nice, but I had to turn off secondary and tertiary roads because it was dropping my frame rates to an unacceptable level.

the sales seem to happen about every three months, so if you wait, then that's how long you'd have to hold out for the next one.

ORBX Regions offer the best value, as they include high res mesh coupled with custom landclass and vector products along with many upgraded airports (most smaller and better suited to GA flying, though).  However, since you are a tube flyer perhaps your best bet is Vector and the various Landclass products available for the world.  You could then add ORBX airports that suit your long haul flying.

ORBX usually has a sale in December and another in May... but they'll spring one on as at any time.  And a happy time that is!

Greg

Just bought Ireland.  Excellent.  SInce  I've visited there and drove practically the entire country (left hand side of the road....with all the roundabouts), this scenery was very meaningful for me.  Love it.

Stan

Ok so I should rather get OpenLc and Vector. Thing is I don‘t wanna loose much more frames and when you say vector is frame dropping I‘m not so sure. One of the things I‘d really like to have are some better more accurate mountains in europe, especially the alps. I guess as I‘m not a VFR flyer a region like Southern Germany wouldn‘t make so much sense?

thanks for the answers

If you prefer long haul flying, Orbx Australia and Orbx NZ (North Island and South Island) are highly recommended.

Ian S

38.jpg

46 minutes ago, colz99 said:

I guess as I‘m not a VFR flyer a region like Southern Germany wouldn‘t make so much sense?

I guess since you are based in Germany and fly long hauls, you probably do a lot of Frankfurt/Munich departures/arrivals.
While Germany South (similarly to Germany North for Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg or Dusseldorf) will cut a bit of performance (like most add-ons do), it adds a lot of immersion/fun to those takeoffs and landings.
You get cityscapes, ports, canals and many other objects / terrain enhancements visible from your cockpit in the low phases of flight. It's a question of preference, but I personally love this extra thing.
It's the next add-on I would buy in your case after ground textures (FTX Global), landclass (FTX landclass series) and vector data (FTX Vector or F1 Ultimate Terrain).

LC will not give you better mesh - but will give you more accurate landclass boundaries and types.

For example: Urban / Rural / Forest / Bush / farmland / etc

Bert

I pretty much went nuts this Thanksgiving and spent over 200 bucks on all sorts of goodies from ORBX alone, I also raided Simmarket and went crazy there too. I didn't tell my wife yet. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

I pretty much went nuts this Thanksgiving and spent over 200 bucks on all sorts of goodies from ORBX alone, I also raided Simmarket and went crazy there too. I didn't tell my wife yet. :laugh:

you're not alone Jacek... when mine finds out, I'll be in a world of hurt :cool:

Enrique Vaamonde

to save money: ftx australia, no need for vector or global it is stand alone, and a lot of airports around for sale or free like OzX

for the best experience outside Australia: global, vector, openlc

and for free pick up freemeshX available here http://ninetwopro.com/

Ok, so if I‘d buy openLC I‘d still not get accurate mountains? But on the product page there is a picture of a damn nicely looking volcano and some nice mountains. Anyway, I figured I wouldn‘t need vector that much, but would LC europe make sense without vector? Also, if I‘d buy the region Germany South I‘d kind of have vector and lc with that (for Germany south only ofc) plus even more accurate buildings etc etc. ?

I hope I‘m not confusing people too much :D

Also, I have FTX Global, if I‘d buy Germany South would I see kind of a „hard“ border between Germany North or other countries where I have no ORBX scenery, or is there a fluent border. (Speaking from VFR like addons where you could cleary see between borders where you have a scenery and where you have not..)

And last but not least, I heard from vector or LC (can‘t recall it correctly) there would be some elevation problems with add on airports. Is that true?

20 minutes ago, colz99 said:

Ok, so if I‘d buy openLC I‘d still not get accurate mountains? But on the product page there is a picture of a damn nicely looking volcano and some nice mountains. Anyway, I figured I wouldn‘t need vector that much, but would LC europe make sense without vector? Also, if I‘d buy the region Germany South I‘d kind of have vector and lc with that (for Germany south only ofc) plus even more accurate buildings etc etc. ?

I hope I‘m not confusing people too much :D

Also, I have FTX Global, if I‘d buy Germany South would I see kind of a „hard“ border between Germany North or other countries where I have no ORBX scenery, or is there a fluent border. (Speaking from VFR like addons where you could cleary see between borders where you have a scenery and where you have not..)

And last but not least, I heard from vector or LC (can‘t recall it correctly) there would be some elevation problems with add on airports. Is that true?

The full fat regions like FTX England, FTX Germany North & South, etc are the full package, which means they come with their own Autogen, landclass, vector data and mesh. I didnt see any hard transitions between Open LC and FTX regions, guess thats the advantage from buying everything from the same company. Their products combine well with other ORBX stuff. 

Open LC regions provide landclass only (and possibly custom autogen, not sure about that though). 

Vector can cause elevation issues, but there's an integrated tool to exclude any airports for which you have 3rd party scenery installed. ORBX Vector plays nicely with FreeMeshX as both products use the same base data. 

Any opinions on ORBYX Trees? I have the Zindertek product but it doesn't have any Flora .

Vic green

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Any opinions on ORBYX Trees? I have the Zindertek product but it doesn't have any Flora .

I have it and it slightly betters the Frames, at least for me, while keeping the same density. Plus they look better than the default ones.