Sign in to follow this  

Basic but smooth cockpit views: what are my options?

I am flying the Q400 but I am often having problems with TrackIR not enabling me to see the top of the overhead or the com radio's. Probably has to do with the light and the distance to my tracker. But even if things would work, I often find it a bit problematic to keep my head up or down that much to actually do things in the cockpit. So I thought it might be time to get a camera addon. I do not like to switch between the views with A because you have to cycle through them all all the time and back again. Kills the immersion. Now in the past, a long time ago, I did own EZDOK and it allowed me to set up views to my own liking and the transition between them was smooth. EZDOK was a pain to use though. So my questions are:

1. Is Chaseplan the addon to get for this? I do think it is a bit (or highly) overpriced though for just the three views I want... (overhead, forward pedestal, aft pedestal)

2. I still must have an old license for EZDOK somewhere: does it work with P3D 4.1 and has it become easier to setup views?

3. Any other options that might be better for me because I only need three extra views with smooth transitions?

Well, let me answer that myself. As happens more often I found the answer just after posting the question. :happy: I had a look at this video: seems that EZDOK is the (cheapest) way to go for me!

When I went from EZDOC to chaseplane i found I did not need TrackIR anymore its that good.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For me, the simplest was to just map the F9/F12 keys to a rocker switch. If I need to look up HIGH on an upper panel, I look down, hit F12 rocker to center that and look up - get a full view of the overhead instantly. When done, hit f12 rocker for straight ahead.

Fast, simple and free.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Folks,

I am a TrackIR and ChasePlane user - and ChasePlane is simply amazing... I don't think I've ever seen a program that was easier to use with a more intuitive and polished interface... I won't give up my TrackIR though... Primary flying view utilizes it - all the rest do not... You'll quickly find you'll probably want more than three views... Its so nice to having commonly used instruments just a click away... Transitions can be tailored as if each view was a turn if your head... I structure all my aircraft with three main flows - based on lateral position - PIC - CTR - PNF and these are tied to a hat switch... I use an UPPER CTR and LOWER CTR to accommodate overhead panels... You can have multiple views assigned to the same button and they cycle through on each subsequent button press... Click on the UP HAT - brings up the upper panel... Click on the DOWN HAT - brings up the Autopilot... Click on the DOWN HAT again - brings up the GPS - etc etc etc... I have my "fire" trigger to always bring up the primary flying view with TrackIR so it's extremely quick to get back to the most important view for flying the plane... TrackIR and ChasePlane have completely changed the way I fly - for the better... I've only scratched the surface of its features and in my humble opinion ChasePlane is a must have...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Not familiar with Chaseplane but with EZdok you can assign views to a joystick button if you wish which eliminates the scrolling.

Also you can adjust the speed of the smooth zoom between views.

Another nifty feature recently added allows you to click the mouse wheel & roll to zoom. Mouse wheel & right button click returns you to original position. Handy for looking at thos far awat difficult spots like the pressurization panel in the Xtreme Labs Lear25D.

Works fine with P3Dv4.1,

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

25 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

For me, the simplest was to just map the F9/F12 keys to a rocker switch. If I need to look up HIGH on an upper panel, I look down, hit F12 rocker to center that and look up - get a full view of the overhead instantly. When done, hit f12 rocker for straight ahead.

Fast, simple and free.

Vic

Yep, rocker switch on my Thrustmaster MFDs for the win.

deleted

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

ChasePlane looks very nice indeed but I am not interested AT ALL in fancy camera movements and outside views. I never ever leave the VC while flying so those splash effects are wasted on me. I don't make movies either. I simply want to setup a few views for the Q400 to which I can switch smoothly and with a single key/button press. And 40 bucks is way over the top for that imho... Even the 12 bucks for the EZDOK upgrade is almost too much LOL So thanks for all the advice and tips but if I decide to buy something for this it will be the EZDOK upgrade. I rather spend that other money on something I might actually use. :happy:

I investigated this a few weeks ago and like you had the original EZDOK. I thought the upgrade to P3Dv4 was very fair and it's easier to use than the FSX versions. Quite happy to avoid paying for Chaseplane.

Jason Jackett

42 minutes ago, J van E said:

ChasePlane looks very nice indeed but I am not interested AT ALL in fancy camera movements and outside views. I never ever leave the VC while flying so those splash effects are wasted on me. I don't make movies either. I simply want to setup a few views for the Q400 to which I can switch smoothly and with a single key/button press. And 40 bucks is way over the top for that imho... Even the 12 bucks for the EZDOK upgrade is almost too much LOL So thanks for all the advice and tips but if I decide to buy something for this it will be the EZDOK upgrade. I rather spend that other money on something I might actually use. :happy:

Hi,

If you use Ezdok 2 be sure to update to the latest version 2.6.0.27. A lot of new features and bug fixes.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezca-2-6-for-p3d-v4-1-p3d-4-0-p3d-v3-xx-fsx_topic59058.html

I fly on the Q400, and with Ezdok creates a strong immersion of flight. Can offer you my camera set with the configured effects. You can get it in the cloud:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Jkrw/W9trazJpN

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

There's also SimpleCam that may be more suited. 

http://www.aivlasoft.com/74.html

I moved on from EZDOK to Chaseplane as EZDOK was affecting aircraft flight models and ground handling and I wasn't happy with that. Best of luck! 

• Upvote 1

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

15 hours ago, J van E said:

I am flying the Q400 but I am often having problems with TrackIR not enabling me to see the top of the overhead or the com radio's. Probably has to do with the light and the distance to my tracker. But even if things would work, I often find it a bit problematic to keep my head up or down that much to actually do things in the cockpit. So I thought it might be time to get a camera addon. I do not like to switch between the views with A because you have to cycle through them all all the time and back again. Kills the immersion. Now in the past, a long time ago, I did own EZDOK and it allowed me to set up views to my own liking and the transition between them was smooth. EZDOK was a pain to use though. So my questions are:

1. Is Chaseplan the addon to get for this? I do think it is a bit (or highly) overpriced though for just the three views I want... (overhead, forward pedestal, aft pedestal)

2. I still must have an old license for EZDOK somewhere: does it work with P3D 4.1 and has it become easier to setup views?

3. Any other options that might be better for me because I only need three extra views with smooth transitions?

I use Chase Plane with TIR.

Even if you don't go for all the Chase Plane features, I would recommend it for one main reason. It's updated on a daily basis. The developers are the fastest I know for being "on the case". If something goes wrong or needs improving they fix it.  Updates are downloaded and installed automatically at each sim boot.

I used Ezdock in my FSX days. The program had no support for years. I don't know if it's still the case, however my vote goes to Chase Plane.:cool:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ebs said:

I moved on from EZDOK to Chaseplane as EZDOK was affecting aircraft flight models and ground handling and I wasn't happy with that. Best of luck! 

Ezdok 2 since version 2.1 does not have any influence on the physics of flight and the motion on the ground. With the release of Prepar3d v4.1 had problems with taxiing aircrafts from A2A and PMDG but it was quickly corrected. In any case, any of the channels of effects can be turned off at any time, and leave only the types of cameras.

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

16 hours ago, J van E said:

... 3. Any other options that might be better for me because I only need three extra views with smooth transitions?

Maybe this helps  http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80948-go-to-specific-vc-view-on-button-press/

it describes how to quick access different VC views using FSUIPC.

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).