Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Turbine - Ignition Sounds Overdone ?

Hi Folks,

Can anyone speak to the engine ignition sounds we have on the Cheyenne ? I watched a couple videos and I can't hear anything other than the click of the switch to on... For realism - should I edit that clicking sound wav to a MUCH lower volume ?

Thanks,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I edited it to zero volume.  If it was just the ignition clicking that would be OK.  But it seems to drown out everything else. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Can anyone speak to the engine ignition sounds we have on the Cheyenne ? I watched a couple videos and I can't hear anything other than the click of the switch to on... For realism - should I edit that clicking sound wav to a MUCH lower volume ?

Thanks,
Scott

I don't think you would hear the igniters ticking at all from the cockpit (unless you left the storm window open or something).  

A realistic effect for small turboprops would be the beeping that you sometimes hear in your headset or over the cockpit speaker when the igniters fire...it comes from electrical interference between the ignition system and the audio system in older aircraft.

I have a file I can send you that simulates the above...the only problem is that since the ignition switches have gone wonky in P3Dv4, you sometimes can't turn off the ignition and you'll be stuck listening to the sound.

• Upvote 1

Hi Bill/Dave,

Thanks so much for the respones - yeah - this was one of several startup videos I watched - I couldn’t hear the igniters at all... Last I spoke with Carenado - last week - they said they will fix the ignition switches and the trim wheel indicator in the next release - lol - of course they didn’t mention a timeframe though... I’m not really aware of any showstoppers (given the default turboprop model) left on this model and with Bill’s mod - I’ve been enjoying it a great deal...

So are the ignition switches similiar to those in the Lear - on for takeoff and landing - and in bad weather ?

I’ll gladly try whatever you care to share - Dave - I won’t be home until the weekend though - to try it...

I do love the Cheyenne I and II’s...

Regards,

Scott

53 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

So are the ignition switches similiar to those in the Lear - on for takeoff and landing - and in bad weather?

Yeah, that's the general idea.  One difference vs. the Lear is that you have to turn the ignition switches ON in the Cheyenne to have ignition during start.  In the Lear, that system is enrgenized automatically by the starter circuitry.

Hi Dave,

Thanks - I think I found the tone you were talking about...

7 minutes ago, C525B said:

Yeah, that's the general idea.  One difference vs. the Lear is that you have to turn the ignition switches ON in the Cheyenne to have ignition during start.  In the Lear, that system is enrgenized automatically by the starter circuitry.

Regards,

Scott

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks - I think I found the tone you were talking about...

Yep!  That's exactly it.