Sign in to follow this  
airernie

GSX and Ray Smith Scenery

Some of you may already be aware of this, but I wasn't. :smile:

I am a big fan of Ray Smith's excellent freeware scenery (thanks Ray), however I recently noticed that some of his airports weren't being recognized by GSX even though both FSX and Little Navmap found them.

I did a bit of looking on FSDT's forum and discovered that the likely cause was due to the size of the .bgl file. 

In the past Ray supplied a separate OBJ file, which resulted in a small bgl (exp; KIND 73 KB).   However, the newer files now have the objects embedded in the bgl , which results in a much larger file (exp; KMKE 4,427 KB).

GSX has a default maximum size it will recognize, which means it blows off files such as KMKE.  To enable loading of KMKE and other large bgl, a field need to be added to the Couatl.ini file.  Rather than try to explain it here, I would recommend a visit to FSDT's GSX forum and take a look at the message titled; "Ray Smith VHHH".

I upped mine to 5000000 and KMKE now displays.  Of course there may be other larger ones, so the value may need to be upped again.

Ernie

• Upvote 3

Ernest Pergrem

36 minutes ago, airernie said:

I am a big fan of Ray Smith's excellent freeware scenery

Thanks Ernie.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

So funny you bring this up Ernie because I downloaded Ray Smith’s MKE this last weekend and had the GSX issue. First time I had flown in or out of mke in p3d and really liked the approach with Lake Michigan. Now I can fix my gsx. Thanks! 

Orman

I appreciate Ray Smith's work and use a number of his sceneries. Don't think I've run into this limitation so far but it's great to know about this simple fix. Thanks for the heads-up, Ernie.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

54 minutes ago, coa1117 said:

Don't think I've run into this limitation so far 

The only reason I realized it was that I was attempting to use GSX at a parking spot and got the not big enough for GSX services message.   That has occurred in the past but I've blown it off.  

However, this time I had the airport displayed in Little Navmap (thanks Alex!) and could see that the spot was big enough.  I opened the GSX parking editor and discovered that GSX was using a default AFCAD rather than Ray's.  

This led me to FSDT's forum and the above mentioned message.  

Ernest Pergrem