Sign in to follow this  
TheBoom

Envshade with Rex TD & Softclouds

Is there any point to doing this? I have no intentions of getting Envtex.

Was looking at PTA but it's 3 times the price of Envshade and I don't have the habit of fiddling around with the shader settings so it seems Envshade would be more suited for me.

I have used ENVSHADE without issues with both REX TD and Soft Clouds.
Although TOGA Projects claims hat best result is achieved with BOTH ENVSHADE and ENVTEX, this claim is very much a subjective one. Only you can be the judge, really.
I experienced no issues - like I said :)

PS: I own ENVTEX aswell and there are no showstoppers with switching between sky/ cloud textures in my opinion. At least nothing that has kept me from stop doing it :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

If you do not want to fiddle around with PTA profiles, ENVSHADE is the way to go. I have heard many good things and I will also go to buy it during Xmas sales.

I also use REX TD and SC but recently switched to ASCA due to their dynamic texture change. I must say the switch was worth it. The weather situation looks much more convincing and has much more variation. I use REX TD for the other texture replacement though. In the past, I have avoided ASCA because I thought that REX Skyforce was close and REX TD + SC looks better, but its release date is still unknown in the future, and ASCA appears to have improved their textures.

As to sky textures, I am planning to switch over to ENVTEX. At the end it will be ASP4, ASCA, ENVSHADE, ENVTEX for weather / sky, and REX TD for the remaining texture replacements.

As to your question, I see no reason why ENVSHADE should not do its job with REX TD + SC. It is "just" an optimized PTA profile essentially.

Cheers,

Chris

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I use Envshade with only Soft Clouds. Like it a lot. 

• Upvote 1

I use ASP4, ASCA, ENVSHADE, ENVTEX for weather , sky and REX 4 enhanced W/cloud for the other texture replacements without problem.

• Upvote 1

The following combination is giving in my opinion the best looking and most realistic Sim environment, at any time of the day (and this is the BIG plus vs PTA, imho) that I have ever had since I started simming:

ENVTEX : Sky textures and water textures enabled. Clouds textures disabled. ASCA integration with "ENVTEX textures only" option selected

ENVSHADE : High Quality shaders enabled

REX TD S/C : Set 42 (I use this, but any set is OK...this is up to personal preferences) 

AS16/ASCA : "Full dynamic" theme selected in ASCA... sky textures and clouds structures selected....all clouds NOT selected

Try it....you won't be disappointed...!

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

Everywhere I look the consensus is that Envshade works best with Envtex only hence my hesitation.

I don't use ASCA as well. Just Rex TD + SC alone (With AS P3DV4). There weren't many discussions about using Envshade without Envtex so I was curious. 

Also best looking IMO is largely subjective. Some simmers prefer one look over another which makes it hard to identify a "best" scenario.

Hi Folks,

Interesting...

So - is the "Dynamic" aspect of ASCA strictly related to sky textures ? Clouds aren't affected dynamically ?

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

They 

4 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Interesting...

So - is the "Dynamic" aspect of ASCA strictly related to sky textures ? Clouds aren't affected dynamically ?

Regards,
Scott

Yes Scott, they are, but for the moment only ASCA clouds textures can be changed dynamically. If you use other packages (such as REX TD) they cannot, and since I personally don't like the look of ASCA textures, I have deselected  them form the ASCA menu for dynamic change (otherwise they would be installed at every new weather theme injection).

Regards

Ezio

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the explanations...

Yeah - I've been using ENVTEX for sky textures and ASCA (lowest resolutions) for clouds - I never understood "Hi Resolution" clouds - as they're CLOUDS for pete's sake - - -  LOL...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

36 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

To be accurate ASCA clouds are handled dynamically by ASP4/ASCA, but also ENVTEX cloud textures if you tick "ASCA integration" option in ENVTEX settings.

Sorry to be negative Roland, but please don't spread this.  ASCA CANNOT change any cloud textures but their own.  Hopefully ,in the future this will not be true.

WAT1460.png

8 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Sorry to be negative Roland, but please don't spread this.  ASCA CANNOT change any cloud textures but their own.  Hopefully ,in the future this will not be true.

ASCA can and does change Envtex cloud textures dynamically and they COULD change others if the developers chose to use the ActiveSky API as Envtex does.

But, you are correct, for now all others can not be changed dynamically.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

18 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

ASCA can and does change Envtex cloud textures dynamically and they COULD change others if the developers chose to use the ActiveSky API as Envtex does.

But, you are correct, for now all others can not be changed dynamically.

Vic

Thanks, Vic.  I would love to see a link where the developer says ASCA will change ENVTEX cloud textures dynamically as the last time I spoke with Maxime, HiFi (ASCA) only allows ENVTEX SKY textures to be changed dynamically.  It has been my understanding that an ASCA user can inject ANY developer's clouds but MUST uncheck CIRRUS and CLOUD TEXTURES when running the GLOBAL AUTOMATIC or FULL DYNAMICS theme.  If the user does NOT uncheck them,  ASCA will automatically override with their own ASCA cloud textures

Thanks for your assistance :) 

WAT1460.png

I think I've finally settled on something because the results have been beautiful and consistently so: ENVSHADE+ENVTEX + ASCA using ENVSHADE shaders instead of PTAs.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb