Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Ultimate Terrain UTX vs ORBX Vector

Hi Folks,

Long time Ultimate Terrain UTX user - but due to the sale - figured I'd spring for the global coverage of Vector... Is it my imagination or is UTX terrain far more detailed and precise than that provided by Vector ? It seems that many of the shorelines are extremely blocky or almost look hand drawn in Vector... Is it me or has anyone else done a comparison ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi

I would go for UTX. I have both and with Vector, it creates many elevation problems that can't be solved by simply using the config tool.

All the best.

C Z Mulgrave

• Upvote 1

Here's one -

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

40 minutes ago, mulgrave said:

Hi

I would go for UTX. I have both and with Vector, it creates many elevation problems that can't be solved by simply using the config tool.

All the best.

C Z Mulgrave

Strange, I have both and now I only use Orbx with my current build and I don’t have any elevation issues that couldn’t be fixed with the config tool. I’m even using Mesh by Pilot and still no unfixable issues.

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I've switched away from Vector to UTX.  Since I only fly in the US, it wasn't that expensive of a move.

I had UTX for a long time and contemplated if I should buy ORBX. Finally, I did, flew around with it, and decided to go back to UTX. Spent money for nothing.

With UTX I have way more precise streets and coastlines. I know couple of cities relatively good, and I can say that UTX rivers and coastlines are way better, roads are better placed. Autogen looks better, realistically placed.

And performance with UTX is marginally better (not that it really matters, but it's why I said marginally).

Since I generally fly airliners, and most of my airports are in EU and USA, I couldn't care less if I had more or less coverage over any other area. Being at FL350 doesn't really depict much of the scenery.

And I can tell you it was quite a fast decision.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I have UTX v2 - for the US and Caribbean - wanted to do some flights into Canada and Alaska - probably should have went the UTX v2 route on that as well (no v2 Alaska)... Lesson learned...

I think I may remove Vector - pick up UTX Canada and wait for UTX Alaska...

Aside from the better resolution in UTX - I think the roads in Vector looked better - didn't stand out as much as UTX and blended with the terrain - but what's up with those railroad textures in Vector - they're awful...

Regards,
Scott

57 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Aside from the better resolution in UTX - I think the roads in Vector looked better - didn't stand out as much as UTX and blended with the terrain

Just as an FYI, the road widths and textures can be adjusted in UTX.  Nick Needham provides some very good guidance on configuring UTX here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setup-utx-all-versions-update-new-lights-settings_topic46147.html#277860

Hi...

Thanks - I'll take a look - as I didn't really care for the default ones in UTX - the roads and tracks always seem to be a tad overdone in the sim... Honestly - other than the initial install - I haven't looked at the interface much - seemed more complex than the one we had in FS9...

OBTW - didn't really care for the "wave" effects in Vector either... LOL - I know - I'm picky...

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, mulgrave said:

Hi

All the best.

C Z Mulgrave

Hi, I am not familiar with UTX, so need to investigate. I have Global, Vector, and LC + regions. And i do have lots of elevation problems with some airports, especially FSDT. Should I uninstall vector, and install UTX - or how does that work? Thanks for any info or recommendations.

Hi Lennie,

I only started with Vector last weekend - however - did you go into the control panel for Vector and disable AEC (Airport Elevation Corrections) for the airports you are having trouble with - this fixed the ones I was having trouble with - so far...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes I ran AEC several times. Did not help KSDF and KDFW, both are useless for me. If I uninstalled vector and loaded UTX would that possibly help?

Lennie

4 minutes ago, lennie said:

Hi Scott,

Yes I ran AEC several times. Did not help KSDF and KDFW, both are useless for me. If I uninstalled vector and loaded UTX would that possibly help?

Lennie

Also a local airport that I flew to often in the Warrior, KCHO sits on a plateau about 30+ feet high all around. Really comical!!

I have both and prefer UTX also.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors