Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Ultimate Terrain UTX vs ORBX Vector

UTX looks good, is really FPS friendly, and zero issues. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I use both UTX and Vector.

I feel that Vector ( US only) has better water depiction. More water bodies than UTX. For example, small streams in Vector are depicted as actual water bodies ,not just a land texture file. The colour is a very light blue.I presume that UTX was developed like that to save on VAS , however now that most of us are in the 64 bit era, its irrelevant.

In contrast , UTX in Canada is better. There are small ponds all over Alberta SK and MB that Vector leaves out , but UTX includes. Plus you can configure them via season ( showing up as dry ponds in the summer/fall, but ponds full of water in the springtime).

UTX is more configurable though , road sizes can be adjusted , where Vector you cannot.

Generally if you fly most of your flights in Canada or Europe, use UTX , if it is the US  I would go Vector.

35 minutes ago, planechaser said:

For example, small streams in Vector are depicted as actual water bodies ,not just a land texture file. The colour is a very light blue.I presume that UTX was developed like that to save on VAS , however now that most of us are in the 64 bit era, its irrelevant.

This is what made me finally (reluctantly) set aside UTX USA.  Bought Vector a few days ago but still haven't had time to fly it enough to compare.  All I know is that I was tired of the "Metallic Blue" streams in UTX.

Greg

On 11/28/2017 at 0:16 PM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Long time Ultimate Terrain UTX user - but due to the sale - figured I'd spring for the global coverage of Vector... Is it my imagination or is UTX terrain far more detailed and precise than that provided by Vector ? It seems that many of the shorelines are extremely blocky or almost look hand drawn in Vector... Is it me or has anyone else done a comparison ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

In FSX I had all UTX, a mixture of Aerosoft airports and thought it looked ok. But this with early aircraft that were all from fs9. I fiddled about with all the various UTX settings and it didn't look any different.

Now I have P3dv4 and an entire planet covered in Orbx regions, Vector and Orbx airports. I have one FSDT (KLAX).

Flying over PNW and Friday Harbour this evening in the new Milviz Beaver Amphibian, at sunset, I was in that zone of "suspension of disbelief". Added to with weather from AS4 and REX Soft Clouds/Texture Direct. For me, it was as close as it gets to being there. The only thing missing was the smell if oil, avgas and leather.

I haven't seen UTX since early FSX days, but I think it best if you get one or the other and just stick to that. I wouldn't like to mix the two products.

Where I live, in the English Lake District, those lakes, rivers, roads and mountains are spot on. I just need a Tornado to use in P3dv4 and I will be a happy chap!:cool:

Cheers!

I am running low on my Flight Sim funds.....and have been researching this for a week now...and what really sucks is that every single post anywhere is from over a year ago..  Has anyone anything to say about any of these products since I believe they have been updated since 2017.  I fly mostly midwest and northeast USA but I do like to jump over and do some international flying....Alaska, Hawaii, andes and Himalayas mountains, Ukraine, Philippines, Irkutsk Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa, Italy....all areas I have lived..  I fly low and I fly high...  When I fly around my local airports or the airports where I went to flight school (NH) I want to see real roads, rivers, lakes, etc...  I have great mesh to see the mountains, hills, and valley's the way they really are....  But the rest is just as important to me.  I really do wish to know which is the best as of October 2018?    

I am currently moving completely to Prepar3D v4(.3).   I have many of the Orbx products but have not decided on Vector yet.  I used UTX for years in FSX and loved it.  But I also can't do those damned blue lines for streams anymore.  Prepar3D has me spoiled when it comes to water...  

So...again, looking for updated reviews...  And if you can give comparisons....apples to apples, oranges to oranges....all the better for me and others that I am sure are also wondering WHICH is the one we wish to invest our $ in..

Thanks,

Greg

Sim: Prepar3D v4.3  | System: Windows 10 64bit | i7-2600K Quad Core (8 lcpu) OC-3800MHz | 16GB DC 666.7MHz | Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3 (F6) | 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB | 2 AOC 24" HD Monitors | 1 Dell 22" HD Monitor | 1 47" Vizio 3D HD TV/Monitor | 1 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Audio | 1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | 1 Seagate 2TB | 1 STECH 8TB | 1 Seagate 10TB | 1 Toshiba 3TB | HP BD-RE Blu-ray DL RW

full_sig_banner500x80.jpg

Really?  Nothing major has changed. The reviews are essentially the same for the same reasons. New areas have been released so that expands the products but the pros and cons remain the same. New people are using the same products so they will have new opinions.

I do not see this going anywhere new so I'm shutting it down.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors