Sign in to follow this  
panam

FSX-SM

Hallo and good day

I hope someone can help me to get FSX running properly again.

Short history approximate 3 month ago after a flight from NRT to MSP with the MPDG 747 II which went smoot without any issues. a few days later i started a new flight and experiences a strong issue at the gate in MSP already with the 747 of PMDG i got this alert from FSUIC  about my VAS. I checked it and i had approximate 300 MB free which is rediculas when you not even started the flight. I did not changed anyhting on my system i did not uploaded a new software nothing.

I played arround but could not fix it. It get worse as my FPS broke  down below 10 when i startet at an airport like JKF or LAX. I made a back up of my FSX-CFG deleted it and started the FSX - nothing changed. i was not even able anymore to make a flight with the 737 of PMDG which never caused me any issues either FPS or VAS.

Never the less i made a complete clean up of my computer changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Now i do have Windows 10 1709 and the issues which are described in several forums. Meanhwhiel the FPS i could increase which is somehwere between 15 and 20 on an airport like KJFK. if i open a 2nd screen e.g. outside look it drops but this is ok. But i can not get may VAS under control.

YSSY i never had any issues FPS or VAS  if i open a flight in YSSY with the  ultralight aircrft the VAS left ist going donw to 1900-1800 in KJFK  it is arround 1400. remaining in YSSY if i load the new QW 787 my VAS reaming are arround 1000 to 1100 if i open a 2nd screen i am down to 500 to 600. i do not have to start a flight.

i have mad a clean new installation the FSX is on separate SSA. I installde the FSX Professional made a 15 to 20 minute flight. than i instald the SP1  did the same than the Acceleration and did the same.

i have Rex clauds and as weahter maschine AS16.. i do have traffic 360 and FSX Global Ultimate instaled. and only 3airports YSSY, SCEL, KJFK

my System

Motehrboard: Mainboard S-115 Asus Maximus V Formula E-ATSX(Z77 dual PC3-12800U DDR3) (90 MIBIIO-GOEAYOVZ

Processor  Intel Core i7-3770 lvy Brdige 3.5 GHz

Graphicard  Nvidia GeForce GTS 680

CP Cooling Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i

System Memeroy  Corsair XMS3  16 GB

Powerwitsch Corshar  HX Serics HS1050

Primary Hafd Drive Kingston HypeX  3K SSD 240 GB

Secondary Hard drive   SSE

SatA Liteon iHBS112 bulk

Creative Sound Blster Z bulk PCIe

Windows 10   1907

64-bit operating system

if there is no short solution with the 1907 i will go back to windows 7 but still i am afraid why and where to i lose this VAS.

FSX settings i playd arround no change i deactivated areas i not flying  - no change  i really do not know what went wrong as it worked very goood not saying perfect but it worked with not many issue.

if someone do have an idea or if you need some mor informaiton about by system setting let me know

any support would be very much welcome

thanks have a great day

werner

On the right side of this page is the AVSIM FSX Setup Guide in which you should find a section on how to limit VAS.  One of the key steps is to ensure that you only have two payware airports or airports which use photoreal scenery active for any given flight (best if it's just two airports period).

If course you're going to get a lot of replies that will suggest you move to P3Dv4, which as a 64bot sim does not have the VAS limit that a 32 bit sim does.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, panam said:

YSSY i never had any issues FPS or VAS  if i open a flight in YSSY with the  ultralight aircrft the VAS left ist going donw to 1900-1800 in KJFK  it is arround 1400. remaining in YSSY if i load the new QW 787 my VAS reaming are arround 1000 to 1100 if i open a 2nd screen i am down to 500 to 600. i do not have to start a flight.

Oh my!  What have we created???  Before VAS monitoring we had everyone looking at FPS.  Anything less than 40 was like, you know, horrible!  Something wrong with the system!  You might remember those days being a member here since 2004!

To be sure, there is no magic tweak or one setting to increase VAS.  Lowering of the sliders in the fsx.cfg and Nvidia Inspector (or Display Driver settings) is the only possible solution and, for most, that is not acceptable.  We (us old time professional fsx'ers) were able to survive mostly in the 2006's and 2007's by lowering our settings so we could get at least 25 fps but many times the fps went to 15 or less and we complained and looked for magic tweaks and some like one member named, Bojote, came up with many.  He was the king as we were sometimes able to get 30 fps!!  AVSIM became 'tweak nation'.  We had no idea back then about VAS but later we found out Microsoft Windows only gave us 2GB's (today it is 4GB's).  If we had known that back then I do not know what would have happened.  "You mean we only have 2GB's of virtual address space (VAS) and you expect us to run PMDG's awesome 737 out of FSDT airports over photoscenery?" We struggled to stay above 15 fps (same FSX as in 2006!!).  Now we have modern computers and everyone wants to ratchet up the settings thinking this will be better visuals and the system can now handle it.  Plus, Windows 7 - 10 has provided us a 64 bit operating system and access to 4GB's of VAS.  Turn those settings up!!  It's going to be great stuff.  No more blurries or stuttering because we have fantastic systems and 4GB's of VAS!! 

If you told me you get 15-20 fps at KJFK with a completely default configuration, I would say you have major, major issues with your fsx.cfg and display driver settings and perhaps your hardware.  So, getting 15-20 fps at say FSDT KJFK with a commercial airliner like the PMDG 747, is great stuff.  You will struggle to get much better depending on your scenario.  As Dave states above, moving to 64-bit applications like P3DV4 (or XP11) is a good way to go but for many, this is not an option and I understand that.  AVSIM has a FSX Configuration Guide which provides guidance on settings (and tweaks).  I think the settings are high but I had to do that to get the best visuals I could find.  You still have to watch your VAS usage as some scenery and aircraft have higher quality textures and they use up more VAS than in the past.  But you can get a nice flight out of LAX in a PMDG 777 or 747 to San Francisco with AS16 weather over photoscenery.  Might be a few stutters or blurries here and there but you should have a successful flight.  Heck, I did a flight using FlightBeam's KSFO to Orbx KSAN over FTX SoCal in real weather (not AS16) in the PMDG 738.  According to the FSUIPC log:

Minimum frame rate was 11.0 fps, Maximum was 89.5 fps
Minimum available memory recorded was 309Mb  Close to running out of memory but had plenty left to taxi to a gate
Average frame rate for running time of 3164 secs = 28.4 fps

I think one has to look at the objectives of flight simulation.  The main objective being to entertain and learn about aviation and flight and the second to look out the window at the scenery below and fly into and out of airports and cities you have visited throughout life.  With FSX/Acceleration or FSX-SE, you have to learn about flying and make short flights lasting no more than an hour or two.  That's what I do with FSX.

In regards to your comments about the update to Windows 10 v1709 problems, I have the latest Windows 10 update and have been flying all day using FSX and so far no crashes.  I even got brave and changed the aircraft during a session and no crash and the change was made without any problems!  I do know though that if I click on say options>display, it won't be nice to me.  I just stay away from the menu as that keeps my FSX running. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Dav/Jim 

thanks a lot for your prompt reply it is very much appreciated. 

some points to add 

a) i am using the AVSIM FSX-CFG guide   and played arround without getting the problem solved

b) currently i have only 2 aiports active   YSSY and SCEL    KJKF i deactivated same with FSC Global all i do not need is deactivated 

i do not have a real issue with the FPS  - currently if i go to KJKF and load the QW 787 i get between 15 and 20 which is ok. how about the PMDG i do not know as i have not installed it due to reason mentioning below. 

why i am so frustrated is that i had all my airports and scnerees activtaed and i flew from VHHH to KJFK with the PMDG 777 without any big issues. Yes at the end of the flight i was low on VAS but i always could make it to the gate. an now i am not even able to take off and do not know why. 

Regarding Windows 10 1709. The problem started with installing the PMDG product. i could not activate the product and became 2 error respond   one was 

unsupported operation  

and 

problems creating a child window

removed PMDG and cleaned all files from PMDG in the system but the"promblem creating a child window" with closing FSX remains. 

PMDG support team advised me that thee 1709 update causes a problem with PMDG which is known and with microsoft. an Update should have solved the issue but did not (14.Nov.2017).

i will play arround but it is quite frustrating 

thanks for your support if something is coming up in your mind which could help i am very greatfull

thanks have a great evening

werner

2 hours ago, panam said:

Regarding Windows 10 1709. The problem started with installing the PMDG product. i could not activate the product and became 2 error respond   one was 

unsupported operation  

and 

problems creating a child window

removed PMDG and cleaned all files from PMDG in the system but the"promblem creating a child window" with closing FSX remains. 

PMDG support team advised me that thee 1709 update causes a problem with PMDG which is known and with microsoft. an Update should have solved the issue but did not (14.Nov.2017).

This does not occur with just PMDG product or just FSX but also P3DV3.  FSX and P3DV3 are 32-bit applications and Microsoft Windows Update messed up all 32-bit applications.  I personally doubt it will ever be resolved successfully by Microsoft but then, going back to the previous version, 1703, will fix this issue.  Lots of topics and posts about this so will not duplicate. 

It will be very difficult to fix your issue if you have the latest Microsoft Windows Update 1709 installed as your sim could crash at any time as it is very unstable.  I personally have used FSX without getting a crash as long as I do not touch the FSX menu and maybe click on Options>Display.  Sometimes though, in some FSX sessions, I can click on every menu item in the FSX Menu and, after a flight, click on the menu to replay the flight and have no crash whatsoever but this only occurs if I load a default aircraft.  If I load a Carenado or PMDG aircraft, it will crash if I even think about touching a menu item.

Still, the cause for running out of VAS is the same no matter what Windows Update is installed.  You have 4GB's.  You get close to running out of VAS, say, like my 309 MB's left when I completed my flight above.  VAS changes instantly.  One second you could have 1GB of VAS remaining, the next 90KB's left, then, the next second 1GB's again if the sim does not crash before that.  The higher the settings, the faster your sim will eat up the virtual address space.  The only way to slow that process down is to not load real weather, not fly over addon scenery, or not use payware aircraft addons.  If FS Global is causing your issues, you need to go to FTX/Orbx and see if they can give you the advice on how to use FS Global products.

2 hours ago, panam said:

i am using the AVSIM FSX-CFG guide   and played arround without getting the problem solved

Thanks for using the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  As I stated here and in the guide, the settings are quite high but it is settings I recommend for default scenery/aircraft.  You will get close to 100 fps and maintain a ton of VAS with those settings and default scenery/aircraft.  If you add anything to the default, all is lost and you will have to readjust the settings or your will be seeing a lot of crashes.  FTX/Orbx has guides for recommended settings for their scenery.  So does FS Dreamteam but that is only if you don't have any other addons.  In your original post you stated your fps went down to below 10 if you started out at JFK or LAX and I explained that this was because of high settings.  Then you respond that you are not have any problems with FPS.  I'm confused...

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim

thanks for your reply and it is good to heare if i can get windows 10 1703 i should not have an issue. if not i will go back to windows 7.

regarding the FPS this was caused at the time something happend after this flight from NRT to MSP when all was fine. Some days later i started a flight again from ;MSP and than the issues started. my FPS dropped below 10 after pushing back from the gate i got the info out of memory. i could not understand the reason as i did not change anything. no new hardware no update no new software no new add on.

now the FPS are ok with the QW 787 but can not say how it will be with the pmdg aircrafts as i can not install them.

will keep you informed as soon i have W10 1703 or back to windows 7.

thanks for all your support

have a great day

werner