Sign in to follow this  
mrchrsrider

X-Plane 11 VR and GTX 1080

CPU is new, for 4/5 years prior it was an old i5 series @4.5 that made it chug along OK as well.   All subjective of course but the performance still kept me away from a screen.

11.10 seems to be a little more conservative with VRAM usage - running Aerosoft's new EDDF with 100% real traffic (WT3.0) in 1920x1080 and very high textures and effects - barely 4GB in use!

EDIT: 6GB for Mister X KLAX

EDIT: 4GB at Aerosoft's KDFW

That's all with 100% traffic!

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

So i have installed my 1080! And it has made a world of difference!! I have a 75% performance increase and it is amazing. I have yet to try VR but am excited. Thanks fot all your replies and opinions.

3 hours ago, mrchrsrider said:

So i have installed my 1080! And it has made a world of difference!! I have a 75% performance increase and it is amazing. I have yet to try VR but am excited. Thanks fot all your replies and opinions.

Well, thats pretty cool. I've barely gotten any increase with my 1080 from a 780. Only if I compare it to my internal Intel graphics card, haha 😃

59 minutes ago, Susu986 said:

Well, thats pretty cool. I've barely gotten any increase with my 1080 from a 780. Only if I compare it to my internal Intel graphics card, haha 😃

You must be doing something wrong, given the landslide performance increase you got there.

-

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

You must be doing something wrong, given the landslide performance increase you got there.

5 hours ago, Susu986 said:

So this is what I have done.. I have just pulled out my old 780ti and installed the 1080, I went from med world objects to max. I was able to go from 2xMSAA to the full right on the antialiasing (not looking at my settings so bare with me). I’m running two 19” monitors side by side.. and use nvidia span to go from 1980x1080 to 3960x1080 (again not looking at it so it might night be the right measurement). I no longer take a huge frame hit from running xenviro. Ultimately I’m able to run xplane maxed out with exception to the HDR+SSBO (?) setting. I am getting a solid 30FPS in cities. this isn’t even the best part my VR results are incredible. I’m able to run a solid 30/90 framerate, highest resolution with 100% FOV draw (C172). The only change in the graphics settings in game i have made is no AA. In populated cities I am running the IXEG 737 (VR) at 25/90. Which isn’t to shabby. And it fluctuates between 25-30/90. Anyways this card is incredible. I’ve taken such a jump in VR resolution I took my second monitor down and am flying sole VR now. I haven’t seen the same performance increases in P3dv4 which has been semi dissapointing. 

Ultimately I would wager to say I have had a 75% perfomance increase in Xplane.. I feel like p3dv4 is more CPU heavy hence the disappointment with P3dv4 

8 hours ago, mrchrsrider said:

"So this is what I have done.. I have just pulled out my old 780ti and installed the 1080, I went from med world objects to max"

World objects are CPU bound.

-

7 hours ago, Colonel X said:

World objects are CPU bound.

Right, I can fly at 35-40 fps with maximum World objects and a lowly GTX970 graphics card, because I've got a fairly fast CPU. My GPU is a bottleneck for texture resolution and a few other things (reflections?), but not drawing lots 'o buildings on the ground.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Xp11 on my new system back in March has been great in Flyinside.

i7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB @ 4.8
1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX 
GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB 

I have all the sliders maxed and never have had any stutter issues. I only fly at night in XP11 so I have no idea about texture loads.