Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Some nighttime shots over the windy city

Enjoying the Commander at night.  My ex-boss, who I worked with designing Best Western's Website, was a pilot and he flew over Illinois at night.  He had an electronic failure and had to land totally blind.  Obviously he made it, otherwise he would not have been able to share the story.  He quit flying after that.  Wonder why?  Many pilots say nighttime landings are just the worst, but I enjoyed mine when I flew with a friend in his Cessna.

2017-11-29_7-22-41-433.jpg
2017-11-29_7-29-57-522.jpg
2017-11-29_7-21-29-534.jpg
2017-11-29_7-21-51-305.jpg
2017-11-29_7-31-42-58.jpg
2017-11-29_7-32-22-964.jpg
2017-11-29_7-31-51-234.jpg
2017-11-29_7-32-39-709.jpg
2017-11-29_7-27-48-54.jpg

Beautiful nighttime shots...big cities have spectacular lighting !

HLJAMES

1 hour ago, Cactus521 said:

2017-11-29_7-27-48-54.jpg

Im going to be honnest and dont take it personal Cactus, it's not your fault!

But i think P3D is weak in night enviroment, unless we put "tons" of night light addons that sink our frame rate.

In this particular i think X-plane 11 takes out P3D with no mercy, the night enviroment in x-plane is beautifull.

I quit doing night flights in P3D because i was not pleased with the looks, just doenst look realistic, but thats just me!

Anyway keep sharing those photos, its always a pleasure to see your travels :biggrin:

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

Im going to be honnest and dont take it personal Cactus, it's not your fault!

But i think P3D is weak in night enviroment, unless we put "tons" of night light addons that sink our frame rate.

In this particular i think X-plane 11 takes out P3D with no mercy, the night enviroment in x-plane is beautifull.

I quit doing night flights in P3D because i was not pleased with the looks, just doenst look realistic, but thats just me!

Anyway keep sharing those photos, its always a pleasure to see your travels :biggrin:

No worries, you are exactly right, Xplane's night environment is very good.  I am OK with night flights in P3D at a higher altitude, and I like P3D's airports at night, they are a little brighter.  Where Xplane succeeds is in its default autogen, landclass, atmospherics, and AI.  I get superb performance, that is when I am not flying over my photoreal scenery, which I tend to prefer on many Xplane flights.  I have praise for both sims, I get satisfaction from both.  Some weeks I lean towards P3D, only because that's where all my aircraft add-on investment is and that's where my ultralight trike is, which I don't think I can convert to Xplane since I created it with FSDS2.

I remember a Xplane night flight I took over Florida about a month ago, I was just in ecstasy.  If you look at the screenshot of downtown Chicago, I feel the buildings are too brightly lit.  It gets worse if you turn on autogen in P3D.  But in the daytime, over MSE's scenery, I enjoy P3D quite a bit, namely because of the aircraft I chose to add to it, almost all Carenado since they stayed current with V4 with most of their products.  I am not a big systems guy, except for the Citation 550 autopilot which has the best IAS hold feature, it uses pitch instead of autothrottle.  Pitch is how you are supposed to set airspeed in an aircraft. throttle is for climbing to and maintaining altitude.  One exception is heavy iron, because of the spool up times of the engines, you have to stay ahead of the curve.

Anyway I am having a ball with both sims, I had left the hobby for some time because my old system just could not stay fluid.  My current specs, which ran me $1000 in a prepackaged MSI system, are all I really need.  I invest in systems on a six to seven year cycle, but I feel sims for me have hit that sweet spot where I really do not seek any more fluidity than I already have.  Many have asked me how I do it with my specs.  I just learned to set the features based on the sim.  In Xplane I maxed everything, in P3D I only sacrifice AI a bit, and autogen because I do not feel it is as real as Xplane.  Maybe I will add ORBX one day, its autogen is better.

John

• Upvote 1