Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Land Class Files

I downloaded some scenery with Land Class files included, but no instructions as to where to place them.  Can anyone tell me where they go, or do they have to be added to the Scenery Library ?

Dave Hinson

If it's part of a larger installed scenery, the landclass BGL file can just stay in the same scenery folder with everything else.

EDIT: And yes, whatever folder contains the scenery needs to be added to the scenery library, or FSX will not find it.

If all you got was a landclass BGL file then you can try dropping it into the Addon Scenery\scenery folder

The rule is that the landclass BGL file needs to be in a scenery library folder that is in a scenery library layer higher than other landclass that you would want to override. If you only have default landclass, then putting it in Addon Scenery\scenery folder should be sufficient.

Is this a freeware? Can you post a link to the download?

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, fshobby said:

If it's part of a larger installed scenery, the landclass BGL file can just stay in the same scenery folder with everything else.

EDIT: And yes, whatever folder contains the scenery needs to be added to the scenery library, or FSX will not find it.

If all you got was a landclass BGL file then you can try dropping it into the Addon Scenery\scenery folder

The rule is that the landclass BGL file needs to be in a scenery library folder that is in a scenery library layer higher than other landclass that you would want to override. If you only have default landclass, then putting it in Addon Scenery\scenery folder should be sufficient.

Is this a freeware? Can you post a link to the download?

A word of warning.  I wrote the program, Landclass Assistant which allows simmers, along with a couple of other programs out there, to update and change landclass on the fly.  It was a collaborative effort, and we learned a lot by experimenting and also working with Microsoft on various issues that cropped up as I went thru iterations of the program.  When you install landclass, you do not, I repeat you do not want a texture folder to reside in the library where the scenery folder and landclass  bgl(s) reside.  if you have a texture folder there, MSFS will hunt for non-existent bmps and start to soak up huge volumes of bandwidth and memory.  The only exception is if landclass uses custom textures, but that is usually not the case.  I hope this clarifies the thread a bit.  Landclass made with Landclass Assistant or most other landclass programs works with all iterations of MSFS, from FS2002 all the way up to P3D.

Best Regards,

John Cillis

Hi John, interesting point, I knew that FSX would check for custom landclass textures in the adjacent texture folder, but was not aware of the performance impact. I've used small amounts of custom landclass in sceneries (which included a texture folder) but at that small scale I didn't notice a performance hit.

Barry Friedman

I found it on a VATSIM event notice called "Mediterranean Airbridge" occurring this Friday, Dec. 1st.  It has a reference to scenery suggestions for DTTA.